SkAm 2019 Pairs SP CLIFF NOTES: Heaving Lass Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
Starting Order:

Warm-Up Group 1

1 Zoe JONES / Christopher BOYADJI GBR
2 Jessica CALALANG / Brian JOHNSON USA
3 Camille RUEST / Andrew WOLFE CAN
4 Haven DENNEY / Brandon FRAZIER USA

Warm-Up Group 2
5 Ekaterina ALEXANDROVSKAYA / Harley WINDSOR AUS
6 Daria PAVLIUCHENKO / Denis KHODYKIN RUS
7 Ashley CAIN-GRIBBLE / Timothy LEDUC USA
8 Cheng PENG / Yang JIN CHN

Wedgie Data

genevieve

Staff member
Warm-Up Group 1
allezfred: Is batshit crazy announcer lady not in the house?
just tuned in: I think batshit crazy announcer lady is an East Coast phenomenon.

1 Zoe JONES / Christopher BOYADJI GBR
Colonel Green: Here's to Zoe Jones, making her third Grand Prix appearance a full 21 years after her first.
allezfred: Zoe Jones was skating senior before the Grand Prix series even existed.

flyingsit: I hope Jones/Boyadji's costumes look better together than they do on the screen. Because that little bit of cobalt applique on her dress doesn't really help with how much the blues clash.

Rukia: Props to Zoe but that lift was pretty fugly. On the other hand I thought the death spiral was gorgeous

unronnie: The music is awful. They couldn't find a nice piece of slam poetry to use?
Amy L: I know non-mumbly voice versions of The Storm exist. I wish they were skating to that.

oleada: Jones/Boyadij
3Tw, crashy
2A
ugh we have the horrible NBC stop sign system instead of the TES tracker. Get with the times USFS!!!! :revenge:
Lift, kinda messy dismount, overall unattracrive
slow spins, not great unison
3LzTh, hand down

swissskate: I appreciate the fact that Zoe is some kind of Chusovitina of figure skating but she could really work on her posture :yikes:

peibeck: From the arena, I'm not sure which was more fugly, that lift or the death spiral.
Rukia: Huh...the death spiral must have looked better on screen. Or I have questionable taste WHICH WE ALL KNOW IS NOT TRUE.

2 Jessica CALALANG / Brian JOHNSON USA - Game of Thrones
alchemy void: Calang/Johnson look fabulous together, like a non-American pair.

Moka-Ananas: "Light of the Seven"? Those costumes look more like...I dunno..."Secret love in the Shaolin temple" or something like it.

pat c: C&J - nice twist.........and then splat
Colonel Green: SBS 1, US Pairs 0.

Domshabfan: What a shame, he lost his balance on the step sequence. SBS was understood for a US pair.

Moka-Ananas: Cersei Lannister just burned them to ashes.

oleada: Calalang/Johnson
His butt! :swoon: +5 GOE
3Tw, very nice
3S, far apart, she fell
3LzTh, step out
death spiral, nice
SBS spins with mostly good unison
He nearly falls in the FW, puts both hands down
Lift ok
I like them, but lots of work to be done, especially in the jumps, expression and speed.

peibeck: Ugh, Jessica landed the sbs and throw lutz in warmup beautifully. :wall:

Tony Wheeler: That first little bit of unique choreography and the strength in the twist gives me a lot of hope.
Lizziebeth: for a team that has been together for a year, their pairness is really good.

rfisher: Robin has a very unimpressed look. :lol: How does he deal with Todd every day?

3 Camille RUEST / Andrew WOLFE CAN - Let Me Down Easy/Max Frost
Theatregirl1122: I don't understand why Ruest needs to wear this too short white sparkly wedding dress for this music.

Rukia: That was zzzzzzzzz

oleada: I feel like her costume never changes. It's always white :lol: He's wearing a bedazzled turtleneck that my 75 year old aunt would've loved.

3Tw, crashy landing
3T, she fell
Lift, ok
3STh, difficult entry but rather small
split-y lift toward the end of FW
Hmm. Don't really get a lot of connection between the two and overall their elements seem to be lacking in amplitude and quality.

peibeck: C/J can use some of Ruest/Wolfe's attack. Too bad on the sbs toes, she just flipped off her edge.

4 Haven DENNEY / Brandon FRAZIER USA - Cirque de Soleil/Quidam
Moka-Ananas: Denney should've stuck with one idea for her costume. Combining like 10 Oriental ones, when the music isn't even going there, is a little too much.

Colonel Green: As usual, everything but the jumps. And his-and-hers mistakes this time.

Tony Wheeler: Denney/Frazier not doing it for me with this program. Generic and somewhat odd choreography at parts that really doesn't match whatever vibe they are trying to go for.

thvudragon: Wouldn’t be surprised to see Denney & Frazier’s steps get level 1. Her edges were shallow, wobbled. Very insecure throughout.

oleada: I love D/F's skating but I feel like her costumes always leave something to be desired....
Denney/Frazier
3Tw
3STh
2S, he stepped out of 3S
good unison on the spins
fw ok
lovely lift

Again, same story with them with the jumps :( Everything else was really nice. Don't love the music tho

Last edited:

genevieve

Staff member
Warm-Up Group 2
Amy L: Crazy drunk announcer lady would have died trying to come up with a pronunciation for Pavlyuchenko.

oleada: Pavlyuchenko looks a lot more grown up this year.

Rukia: Ok the Gribbles did sbs jumps successfully which means they won't during the actual program

Amy L: Mrs. Gribble gets wine-colored feathers covering her chest and rosy pink nude fabric that doesn't match her skin, Mr. The Duck just gets gray ombre??
Rukia: He's the stooooooorrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

5 Ekaterina ALEXANDROVSKAYA / Harley WINDSOR AUS - Never Tear Us Apart/Joe Cocker
flyingsit: Why in god's name would they not use the original INXS version of this song? It's about 800 times better.

rfisher: Katia has had some real growing pains with her jumps the past two seasons. Sometimes growing up sucks.

alchemy void: Yikes, Aussies look like they’ve regressed quite a bit? Just not the elements but the basic skating. And WTH is this program.
Amy L: They had this program last season too, and never competed it much better then, either.

meggonzo: I thought he was going to drop her from that lift!

oleada: I'm not going to lie. He gives me tool-ish vibes. I think it's the facial hair.
3Tw
3T she fell
3FTh hands down
Lift, nice positions but absolutely crawling with minimal ice coverage
Spins, unison ok but kinda slow
FW, also seemed slow
This program does nothing for them. Not sure what's happening to them but they haven't really progressed much.

Aerobicidal:
She, she was jumping
He had bad facial hair
Two jumps imploded
And their performance seemed like they never liked this music

alj5: Alex/Windsor’s short was hot and cold. Why aren’t they getting better? The twist was nice, but the lift and footwork ice coverage would’ve been overtaken by a baby learning to crawl.

Colonel Green: I'd call that a step up from their earlier performance at Nebelhorn, though not without issues, obviously.
Brits still with the only clean side-by-side jumps.

6 Daria PAVLIUCHENKO / Denis KHODYKIN RUS - The Storm/Havasi
Amy L: Non groaning The Storm. Spasibo for picking this one and not the Jones/Boyadji wretchfulness.

Moka-Ananas: Pavliuchenko/Khodykin are giving everyone a master class on classic pairs skating :swoon:.

Rukia: Daria looks like she wants to murder everyone in this arena. Respect.
Amy L: I love severe pair girls. They're like angry little chihuahuas.

Aerobicidal: There's something very elderly about Khodykin's movement and presentation. I worry that he will sprain something or spontaneously develop osteoarthritis during the step sequence.

oleada: She looks buff AF. Him, not as much.
3T
3Tw, excellent
strong lift
nice unison on the spin
3LoTh, great, big smile from her.
FW, she had a small balance loss
Good skate! Can see the progress from last year.
Daria looks like she could skate another program right away and Denis looks super winded.

Theatregirl1122: They looked great, although I did laugh a little at the big celebration on the throw landing followed by the trip in the footwork.

JasperBoy: First team to get all positive GOEs

7 Ashley CAIN-GRIBBLE / Timothy LEDUC USA - A Storm is Coming/Profitt
Rukia: I love the Gribbles commitment to character.

Theatregirl1122: I approve of unitards in general, but I approve of Ashley's weird red mold unitard not at all.
Lanochka: The top part of her catsuit is giving me serious flashbacks to Lady Gaga's infamous meat dress.
Kateri: From Ashley's costume, I thought she was skating to Carrie. :shuffle:

Rukia: YAY SBS JUMPS
...and then the throw ugh

alchemy void: woah, awesome SBS combo spin, unique positions

oleada: ugh, I'm a unitard fan but this one is ugly
3Tw - much improved but not as strong as Russians
3S
this music is annoying me
3LzTh big splat
lift ok
spins ok
FW ok.
IDK, this seemed messy and labored today. Love her lip color tho!
Tanith let's not pretend that their win at the US Trainwreck Classic means anything....

BittyBug: Cain and LeDuc continue to impress me. They have improved their twist, their speed, and their choreo is more intricate. I also give them +5 GOE for the over the top dance-style choreographed entrance.

alchemy void: MOZER DOES LAS VEGAS :encore:
Rukia: Mozer is such a fashion icon

8 Cheng PENG / Yang JIN CHN - Cirque du Soleil/Alegria
Rukia: This dress is not good
Amy L: Like I said during the US Classic Bloodbath, it looks like a housewife decided to try some sexy lingerie for her husband, but didn't know she was supposed to take her nightgown off first.

Rukia: Remember last season when she would land the throw and blow a kiss at the judges? I miss that. I miss that entire program actually.

slicekw: Jin is a portion of a beat ahead of Peng. It's a bit like watching a tv show when the voice track is just that tiny bit off from the visual.

Kateri: Peng and Jin were magical! How do they seem to have the best programme in the SP field, every year? Lori does such great work with them.
Theatregirl1122: I love Peng and Jin but I am praying that this is not the best SP the pairs field has to offer...

oleada: wtf is she wearing? He's gotten so hot
3T, she had a lazy turn out, maybe UR
3Tw easy
3LoTh, love her sassy landing
I'd like this program more if the music didn't reference clowns
weak spins for this level
I like this FW section
Lift, her positions are not the prettiest, not the best exit.
Hmmmm. I like them but I was kind of hoping for more. I think they'll lead but not by a lot.

peibeck: Despite the sbs step out, the Chinese were fab. I hate this Cirque music though.

alj5: The throw just floated, footwork was creative and it was hard to decide who to watch. The coolest lift exit. Should easily lead. Only negative is I don’t feel they are as connected to this program as their past few short programs.

genevieve

Staff member
1​
Cheng PENG / Yang JINCHN
72.73​
39.23​
33.50​
8.39​
8.21​
8.39​
8.46​
8.43​
0.00​
#8​
2​
Daria PAVLIUCHENKO / Denis KHODYKINRUS
71.25​
40.77​
30.48​
7.68​
7.43​
7.64​
7.79​
7.57​
0.00​
#6​
3​
Ashley CAIN-GRIBBLE / Timothy LEDUCUSA
68.20​
37.00​
32.20​
7.93​
7.82​
8.04​
8.18​
8.29​
1.00​
#7​
4​
Haven DENNEY / Brandon FRAZIERUSA
65.18​
36.17​
29.01​
7.29​
7.04​
7.32​
7.29​
7.32​
0.00​
#4​
5​
Jessica CALALANG / Brian JOHNSONUSA
61.27​
34.30​
27.97​
7.14​
6.86​
6.71​
7.25​
7.00​
1.00​
#2​
6​
Ekaterina ALEXANDROVSKAYA / Harley WINDSORAUS
55.06​
29.92​
26.14​
6.75​
6.46​
6.39​
6.61​
6.46​
1.00​
#5​
7​
Camille RUEST / Andrew WOLFECAN
54.63​
28.65​
26.98​
6.75​
6.68​
6.61​
6.82​
6.86​
1.00​
#3​
8​
Zoe JONES / Christopher BOYADJIGBR
47.92​
24.15​
23.77​
5.89​
5.82​
6.00​
6.07​
5.93​
0.00​
#1​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information