SkAm 2019 Men's SP CLIFF NOTES - Viva Quad Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
Starting Order:

Warm-Up Group 1

1 Koshiro SHIMADA JPN
2 Roman SAVOSIN RUS
3 Alexei KRASNOZHON USA
4 Michal BREZINA CZE
5 Kazuki TOMONO JPN
6 Alexei BYCHENKO ISR

Warm-Up Group 2
7 Junhwan CHA KOR
8 Boyang JIN CHN
9 Dmitri ALIEV RUS
10 Jason BROWN USA
11 Nathan CHEN USA
12 Keegan MESSING CAN

Wedgie Data

genevieve

Staff member
Warm-Up Group 1
alj5: Brezina’s 3a is awesome. Lots of popped quads by multiple guys. Krasnozhon had a terrible warmup. The Japanese boys were the only clean quads I saw (esp Shimada).

1 Koshiro SHIMADA JPN - Stay/Erivo & Tromsett
alchemy void: I somewhat question Lambiel's overall taste based on the music he picks for his skaters.
Moka-Ananas: And on the costumes he picks for them. This one is like a blue sack 2 sizes too large with some glitter on it.

oleada: Shimada
3A
2T, was going 4T as per Tara (I thought it was a 3T? oh well)
3Lz+3T held on; Tara says possibly UR
For a Japanese guy, his basics are not that great. His music is rather :yawn:

peibeck: Watching Lambiel on the sidelines was more entertaining than Shimada.
:rofl: They have an Elvis ice sweeper.

Colonel Green: Koshiro should teach Deniss how to do a triple Axel. Shame about the pop, everything else was nice.

alj5: Floaty 3A. Popped quad. Second jump of combo might be UR. Really nice spins, speed, and lightness. Needs to finish his moves more. I kept thinking “almost...”.
Damn Lambiel looks amazing in person.

2 Roman SAVOSIN RUS - Dance of the Bessarabian Gypsies/Galperin
PRlady: Bessarabia is what they once called Moldova and southern Ukraine.

Rukia: What on earth is going on with Savosin's top?

Domshabfan: Savosin is a mess as expected...

Rukia: This fw is...interesting. First he was beating his chest like a gorilla, they he was playfully jumping, then wiping faux sweat from his brow...I don't even know

Amy L: Johnny backhanded complimenting Roman all over the place.

oleada: Savosin
3A< fall
3F
I started checking FB, so he's not exactly keeping my interest
3Lz turn out 1T
Somewhere Trusova is cackling
Well that was rough

alchemy void: The nicest thing I can say is this performance would have fit in perfectly at Ice Star or Halloween Cup. :shuffle:

3 Alexei KRASNOZHON USA - Westworld TV Soundtrack (Djawadi/Tegan and Sara)
Rukia: Seriously, who looked at this top and thought, it's perfect for this program? My mom would love to wear it though, so Christmas idea.
alchemy void: Krasnozhon's look is PERFECTION :love: :love:
umronnie: The flowery top is everything

Colonel Green: Alex, if you’re going to put a quad in the short program, don’t have it be a new one you’ve never done before this season.

Rukia: I don't even care I love this fw sequence so much flower shirt and all

peibeck: This program is schizo, but Kraznoshan has improved so much from his days as a junior.

oleada: My aunt would've liked this blouse, too. Except, she's you know, 75.
4F< fall
3A - lots of height, not much distance
3F+3Lo
WTF is this music in the FW :lol:
Not bad!
I think having this in Vegas was a good idea; the stands seem a lot fuller than your typical SkAm

Aerobicidal: I like a nice "fending off wasps" step sequence. Seriously, I have found Krasnozhon unwatchable in the past but this season both of his programs are at least somewhat interesting in a kind of bonkers way.

4 Michal BREZINA CZE - Baby Did a Bad Thing/Chris Isaak
Rukia: Brezina doesn't even try with his costumes anymore

meggonzo: Bonus points for using Chris Isaak (and not a cover!)

Domshabfan: This classic Berzina program with messed up jumps (2F+3t) and an excellent 3A

Amy L: Who is shrieking for Brezina like it's the Thunder From Down Under show?
Rukia: I was wondering the same thing. The cheers he is getting aren't proportional to what he's actually doing but whatever.

rfisher: Who cares how Michal skates. He's still :smokin:

oleada: Brezina
4S step out
2F+3T
3A nice
Well, that's trademark Brezina. And with that I'm out.... [aka no more pbp :( ]

Colonel Green: Well, he's not likely to repeat last year's surprise silver medal with those mistakes, but that's a really fun program, and he's (for now) got the TES lead despite errors on two of his three jumping passes.........Wow, the judges went all in for Michal on the PCS.

peibeck: In the complete opposite of Lambiel, Raf gives his skaters a Fusar-Poli worthy death stare during their whole program.

alj5: I feel like crying at that combo. The sal was probably UR, but this program is so him. In a good way. His spins were perfect, and they’re so well choreographed to change positions to the music. He’s got a lot of fans here.
I’m about to die, as I’m sitting next to Vanessa James, John Zimmerman, Silvia Fontana, Sinead Kerr, and Brooke Castile. 😱😱

5 Kazuki TOMONO JPN - The Hardest Button to Button/Aluminium
Theatregirl1122: Ya'll have been snarking on Kraz for an hour. You'd better pick apart this glitter galaxy ombre turtleneck!

Rukia: Tomono is giving so much face in this fw though.

slicekw: Tomono's so adorable. I'm not sure how he even landed that first quad on his feet, he was so off-angle in the air. And the second one.... Hopefully he'll settle down for the free. I like his humor in this short.

Amy L: This music sounds like Jack White mated with Tim Burton.

misskarne: I have no idea what that was, Tomono, but it was awesome, so go for it.
just tuned in: What character from outer space vogues?

Rukia: this audience is so obviously wasted already. I love it.

umronnie: There was more skating in Tomono's program as the previous 4 skaters put together

meggonzo: I feel like this program will be one of my favorites by the end of the season.

umronnie: Ah, Misha Ge. Now I get the awesome program.

6 Alexei BYCHENKO ISR - Milim/Skaat
slicekw: Byechenko is positively GRIZZLED next to all these callow youths in this group. The costume is so DNGAF. And he's got a French skating star swagger.

allezfred: I don't know which is scarier that Bychenko is skating to the English version of Israel's 2010 Eurovision entry or the fact that I know he is skating to the English version of Israel's 2010 Eurovision entry.

Rukia: 2-3 combos are the new quad

Aerobicidal: That was a +5 Talk to the Hand gesture to end.

thvudragon: Combination spin called V. He never hit a proper sit position.
Colonel Green: Lands triple Axel, lands quad, pops Lutz to a double. So close to having a real barnburner performance, but still very good to watch. Those spins, though... :yikes:

peibeck: After practices I never would have expected Bychenko to land both his 3a and a 4t. :respec:

genevieve

Staff member
Warm-Up Group 2
JasperBoy: OMG That shrieker. If she was sitting behind me I would be tearing out her vocal cords by now.

peibeck: Jason's shirt is very West Hollywood leather bar. :p
just tuned in: Bring back the bowling shirt! Bring back the mustard pants! I HATE it when the babies grow up.

Aerobicidal: I love that there's a banner JASON BROWN FOR MAYOR. I feel like he'd ban prostitution, alcohol, and gambling and replace them with unicorns, Pixy Stix, and cat cafes. Vegas as we know it would cease to exist.

7 Junhwan CHA KOR - Michaelangelo 70/La Meuerte del Angel (Zielger) - or was it a Piazolla Tango??
Amy L: This music needs a "JUUUUUULIETTT!!!!!!" added in it.

Colonel Green: Well, on the plus side, popping the Salchow means he can't have underrotated it.

mtnskater: I ❤ 3 loop combos and Cha’s was gorgeous!

alchemy void: Cha, Piazolla
2S
3Lz+3Lo good
3A solid!
engaging footwork, love
This was actually quite good, but I could have used a few voiceovers in there, too.

alj5: Cha left his 4S in the warmup. It’s not a bad program for him, and there are times when he is skating with the music. His final combo spin was just beautiful in positions and no traveling. His jumps don’t seem as big as last year.

PRlady: He and Tomono get my adorable androgynous boy vote.

8 Boyang JIN CHN - First Light/Jones and Gardner
alchemy void: Shit Boyang
meggonzo: #horrorpop

Citlali: Quad Vegas is not living up to it's name :(

Moka-Ananas: Jins arms have improved, but lyrical doesn't suit him.
I miss Spiderman.
mtnskater: Boyang trying on the soft ballet arms and hands not working for me, but at least he’s doing something different this year. Shocked to see him miss two jumps!

Theatregirl1122: Perhaps I shouldn't have predicted Jin for 2nd...
peibeck: Emo Boyang is killing my predictions. :fragile:

alchemy void: Boyang
2Lz bailed out
4T3T
3A< splat
I appreciate he's showing off the improvements he's made in his skating with this program, but it's a snooze

9 Dmitri ALIEV RUS - Mozart L'Opera Rock/Loconte
Theatregirl1122: Every time I see Aliev, I realize I have no idea what he looks like.

flyingsit: The ice fascinates Aliev so much he can’t take his eyes off it.

Domshabfan: Aliev lands 4Lz and Medvedeva level emoting...He didn't mess up today, so tomorrow is going to be a horror show...
Holy Headband: Beautiful combo, beautiful axel, all-out melodrama, slow camel spins, spin level issues. I liked it a lot, but I can never trust a good Aliev program.

alchemy void: Aliev
4Lz3T good
4T turnout, good save
choreographed gasp
3A
drama steps

Amy L: I love my trainwrecky boy but his music this year is :rolleyes:

10 Jason BROWN USA - I Can't Go On Without You/Kaleo
ilovepaydays: OMG - words cannot describe how much I hate whistling in skating music.
peibeck: Despite his musicality, this music fits Jason about as well as Burger King fits Martha Stewart.

jamesy: I don't hate the shirt but it looks wrong for a program that's not going to segue into Eurythmics.

Colonel Green: :wuzrobbed
PRlady: Oh, Jason.

alchemy void: He looks hot, no matter what anyone says
3F great
1A oops
3Lz3T
awesome footwork as always
How does this outfit match the music? I wanted something rougher.

flyingsit: that performance was classic Jason. In every way.

11 Nathan CHEN USA - La Boheme/Aznavour
alchemy void: I feel like this program is a companion piece to Tuktamysheva's LP this season, down to the costume.

Moka-Ananas: Not loving this music for Nathan, but he is BOSS.

Colonel Green: Positive GOE on that 4Lz? I don't think so, judges, but nice try. Really like Nathan's short program.

peibeck: Nathan's sp has potential but needs some miles on it. Still should lead unless he gets dinged on spin levels.
thvudragon: Flying Sit Combo called Level 2.

alchemy void: Chen
4Lz stepout
3A great
4T3T great

alj5: He was amazing in warmup, like he had springs on his blades. Step out on the quad Lutz, but the quad toe combo looked so easy. I’m not in love with this program, but it’s well constructed and will score well. Maybe I’ll like it better in Jan/March.

Doggygirl: Raf cracks a smile! :D

12 Keegan MESSING CAN - Perfect/Ed Fecking Sheeran
Moka-Ananas: I hope Keegan can do his best considering everything.

Nell411: This is the least Canadian looking clothing I've seen Keegan wear in a costume.

umronnie: Keegs >> Jason.
There. I said it.

Amy L: Awwww... way to go honey badger!

Domshabfan: That is probably the best program from Messing, I liked it a lot.

peibeck: Keegan gets my only standing O of the day session. :respec:

alchemy void: Keegan
4T3T great
3A great
3Lz awesome runout on landing
Best SP I've ever seen him do. :encore:

Colonel Green: I believe that's the first time he's gotten the quad-triple in competition since 2018 SCI. The program has improved a lot since Autumn Classic, as you'd expect.

slicekw: I think Keegan's the only guy that went fully clean. That was nice.

alj5: Wearing the Canadian National men’s costume of all black with a belt. He leans so far into his edges when he strokes. He spins so fast, his positions are so tight, the 3A came with so little prep. Lots of fans on their feet. Great performance, amazing with what he’s been through lately.

flyingsit: His spins are just spectacular. The speed, the center, the positions... and the absolute crispness of the position changes.

Moka-Ananas: I actually would've had Keegan in 2nd, but it's really close.
marmalade: Personal best SP for Keegs.

genevieve

Staff member
1​
Nathan CHENUSA
102.71​
56.21​
46.50​
9.29​
9.07​
9.39​
9.32​
9.43​
0.00​
#11​
2​
Dmitri ALIEVRUS
96.57​
54.54​
42.03​
8.43​
8.14​
8.57​
8.46​
8.43​
0.00​
#9​
3​
Keegan MESSINGCAN
96.34​
51.66​
44.68​
8.89​
8.75​
9.18​
8.86​
9.00​
0.00​
#12​
4​
Jason BROWNUSA
83.45​
39.23​
44.22​
8.82​
8.68​
8.79​
8.93​
9.00​
0.00​
#10​
5​
Michal BREZINACZE
81.11​
40.96​
40.15​
7.96​
7.79​
8.04​
8.11​
8.25​
0.00​
#4​
6​
Alexei BYCHENKOISR
79.76​
41.62​
38.14​
7.71​
7.25​
7.75​
7.64​
7.79​
0.00​
#6​
7​
Junhwan CHAKOR
78.98​
39.20​
39.78​
7.96​
7.86​
8.00​
7.96​
8.00​
0.00​
#7​
8​
Kazuki TOMONOJPN
75.01​
37.83​
37.18​
7.46​
7.11​
7.43​
7.54​
7.64​
0.00​
#5​
9​
Boyang JINCHN
74.56​
36.32​
39.24​
8.14​
7.64​
7.57​
7.96​
7.93​
1.00​
#8​
10​
Alexei KRASNOZHONUSA
72.30​
37.95​
35.35​
7.14​
6.75​
7.14​
7.11​
7.21​
1.00​
#3​
11​
Koshiro SHIMADAJPN
72.12​
35.83​
36.29​
7.29​
7.04​
7.18​
7.39​
7.39​
0.00​
#1​
12​
Roman SAVOSINRUS
57.92​
26.24​
32.68​
6.61​
6.36​
6.32​
6.64​
6.75​
1.00​
#2​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information