Silly news from all over

MacMadame

Staying at home
It's similar to when a condemned house sold for $1M in my town. The person buying it will demolish the house and put up a McMansion and sell it for $2M.

Vagabond

“Has a savvy school librarian or English teacher snatched a golden opportunity to have a pop at the PM in front of the nation?” asked a reporter from the TES.

“Whichever librarian managed to get not just the “The Twits” but also “Betrayed”; “Resistance” and “Fahrenheit 451” in the shot behind Johnson has my admiration,” tweeted Sam Freedman, a former senior policy advisor at the DfE.
:giggle:

Vagabond

Update to the previous post:

“I actually feel a little bit sorry for the prime minister because it wasn’t ever intended for him – I did it as a message for the school management before I left in February,” she told the Huffington Post. “It just became untenable to carry on working there because of the lack of support I had, and I was left with no choice but to resign. I decided to leave them a big message during my last week. They obviously never actually noticed, and it went untouched for six months.
😢

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races

This article qualifies as exceptionally stupid. It is a couple years old, but geezum.
Phillips Exeter Academy Criticized After Asking Sexual Assault Perpetrator to Bake Bread for His Victim as “Penance”
Not surprisingly, the weekly encounters where he gave her the bread caused her to have panic attacks.

The school had urged her not to go to the police.

However, to end the weekly bread presentation, the woman reported the man to police, who arrested and charged him.

aliceanne

This is an old Onion clip - but it made me laugh as nothing has changed. The subtitles at the bottom are apropos also.

Vagabond

Now a Ukrainian chef supported by the Ministry of Culture and Parliament is trying to set the record straight with an application to the United Nations’ cultural body, UNESCO, to list borscht as an intangible part of Ukraine’s cultural heritage.
(y) 🇺🇦
A year ago, the Russian government posted in English on its Twitter account a recipe proclaiming that “borscht is one of Russia’s most famous and beloved dishes.”
:drama:
Last month Russia seemed to back down — a rarity these days — on any claim of a direct sphere of influence over the soup. “Borscht is a national food of many countries, including Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Poland, Romania, Moldova and Lithuania,” the Russian Embassy in Washington posted on Twitter. “Choose your favorite.”
That Tweet, however, has been taken down. 🕵️‍♂️ It's a KONSPIRACY, I tell you! :skandal

:angryfire

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
Have had borscht in Poland, Russia and Belarus and have always wondered what the fuss is about it every time. :shuffle:

Vagabond

The sign caught the imagination of the internet and led to questions like:

“What happens if a moose licks your car?”

“Is it really that big of a problem?”

And, perhaps most salient: “Exactly how would you stop them?”
🤔
As for the moose, motorists can stop them from licking their cars by staying out of licking range, according to a tweet by Jasper National Park: “Moose licks usually happen on cars stopped to view moose. Keep beyond moose-tongue distance by moving on before a moose approaches.”

How does Mr. Young define “moose-tongue distance”?
🤨

Vagabond

Vagabond

A ministerial aide was sacked on Thursday night after the Conservative chief whip sent out a letter with varied wording in a “canary trap” designed to catch whoever leaked it....

Ministers could not claim not to have been warned of the possibility of such a method being used to identify possible leakers. Last month, No 10 briefed that it could use a “canary trap” strategy in an attempt to identify the source of leaks. That ploy was viewed by some Westminster observers as unlikely to succeed given it had been announced to the press.

Lewer, PPS to the policing minister Kit Malthouse, denied he had leaked the letter when confronted by Conservative whips, but suggested it could have come from a member of his staff.

Yeah, right! I'm sure he gave one of his aides the letter and expressly said, "Whatever you do, don't leak this!" ;)

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
In case you wondered whether there was any crime so heinous that it could get a US cop swiftly fired, there is. In Rockland, ME, 2 cops were fired for jacklighting porcupines and beating them to death with their batons while on duty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information