Silly news from all over

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races

This is an old case...I wonder whether these two idiots went into US politics?

They would fit right in.

Louis Helmburg III, a sophomore at Marshall University in Huntington, W.Va., is suing his fraternity and fellow frat brother Travis Hughes for injuries from his fall at a house party in 2011, Courthouse News Service reports.

Helmburg's lawsuit makes Hughes sound like, well, an ass. Hughes "decided in his drunken stupor that it would be a good idea to shoot bottle rockets out of his anus," Helmburg's lawsuit states. "But instead of launching, the bottle rocket blew up in the defendant's rectum."

Talk about "butt-for" causation.

The rectal rocket explosion "startled [Helmburg] and caused him to jump back," falling off the frat house's deck, the lawsuit claims. Helmburg "became lodged between the deck and an air-conditioning unit," the suit claims. The deck was about four feet off the ground.

Helmburg is suing Hughes and the Alpha Tau Omega house for medical expenses, pain and suffering, and time lost playing on Marshall's baseball team, Courthouse News reports

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard

This is an old case...I wonder whether these two idiots went into US politics?

They would fit right in.
Rectum? Damn well nearly killed 'im!

Okay, now how could this company have missed this, just because it was Sweden-based? A paper company called 'Locum', decided to have this as their logo: Their name all in lowercase, with the 'o' in the shape of a 💌? If you didn't get the reference, here is the NSFW result: http://i.imgur.com/A7dSB.jpg

Vagabond

What I find most interesting is her reply to basically her own tweet. No one said anything about what she defended herself against.
Scroll up to the top, and you can see that she responded to a tweet that has since been deleted.

ballettmaus

Scroll up to the top, and you can see that she responded to a tweet that has since been deleted.
I know. But the guy who tweeted it only said that she send out that tweet and nothing else. She concluded that he must have done it to imply that she's crazy or dangerous etc. Maybe she should spend some of her meditation time thinking about that ;)

ballettmaus

A recent tweet from Marianne Williamson.

I didn't realize she was that far gone. :shuffle:
Apparently, she went even further. She complained to the mother of an author about a mean tweet and also said she regretted deleting the tweet. (And someone please tell her that promoting that you can meditate and pray hurricanes away isn't faith but dangerous and to drop out of the race already?! One nutjob is plenty enough.) https://www.mediaite.com/weird/mari...ain-about-mean-tweet-from-her-adult-daughter/

oleada

Colombian ex-senator Aida Merlano escapes from prison during a medical visit outside prison, by climbing out a window with a rope , and fleeing in the back of a motorcycle driven by a man in a Rappi uniform (Rappi is a delivery service ala Grubhub or Seamless).

She was serving 15 years in prison for vote buying. The whole situation is out of like a sitcom and the memes have been epic :rofl:

(And the fact that the prison guards that were supposed to be watching her were not appropriately supervising her is pitiful...)

Vagabond

Quebec denies Frenchwoman residency for failing to show command of French
“I have a diploma from a francophone university, the first in Canada. I’m a French citizen, too, and I did all of my studies in French,” she told Radio-Canada.

The provincial government based its controversial decision on her dissertation on cellular and molecular biology. The first chapter of her work – a response to a scientific journal article – was written in English, while the remaining four sections were written in French.

“The first letter said you are not proving you know how to speak French because your thesis is considered to be written in English,” Dubois told the National Post....

Dubois then took a government-approved French language test to prove she could speak her native tongue, immediately submitting the results. But months later, she was notified that the government had chosen to uphold its original decision.
For what it's worth, Mlle. Dubois, some people don't think that Franco-Quebeckers speak French either. 🤷‍♂️

Domshabfan

Lady Hale's Brooch
Quebec denies Frenchwoman residency for failing to show command of French

For what it's worth, Mlle. Dubois, some people don't think that Franco-Quebeckers speak French either. 🤷‍♂️
I have no idea why this is a huge issue, almost all the English speaking countries do this sort of shenanigans. Australia, for instance, requires IELTS (or similar test) for visa and the PR. The problem is the test is only valid for two years, so most people end up writing these exams two or three times during their stay in the country to prove the command of the language hasn't deteriorated over the stay in a native English speaking country. They don't give a rats ass for writing a thesis in English, you still have to write the exam. I believe all these tests are for sole purpose of making money.

Vagabond

:duh: That kind of fat cat!

And here I was wondering why someone that wealthy need to be smuggled onto a plane. :slinkaway

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
Would have done it in a heartbeat!
I would have too. In fact, I have vowed never to put a pet in cargo no matter what.

I think the rule is stupid, btw. Whether the cat is in cargo or with passengers makes no difference to flying the plane. Most airlines I fly have a rule that if the pet can't be put under the seat, you have to buy a separate seat for them. I would do that and I bet this guy would have too.

Japanfan

I believe all these tests are for sole purpose of making money.
ITA. I used to tutor students in those tests - we'd do sample answers to sample questions. I think the tutoring was useful in that I was able to teach students the 'formula'. But I eventually wearied of it, because the time between me providing the tutoring and the student taking the test was far too little for them to actually improve their writing - something which happens rarely in my experience (grammar drills should still be taught in school!). Writing is a skill that is improved in the practice, and a certain love of it is essential.

I remember hearing about one student who took the English language test for one university here TWELVE times. Of course the university makes money off of each test.

OTOH, the tests are inadequate because so many students are let into university who do not have adequate writing skills, especially if they plan to major in a writing intensive discipline.

But I'm really sad to say that many ESL students actually write better than native speakers. That's just in my experience, however, and I recognize that there are probably many native speakers who write better than my native speaking clients.

All in all, I think it's important to bring back grammar drills to provide a foundation for writing.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information