Silly news from all over

Vagabond

Speaking of shredding:

Banksy Painting Self-Destructs After Fetching $1.4 Million at Sotheby’s
The British street artist Banksy pulled off one of his most spectacular pranks on Friday night, when one of his trademark paintings appeared to self-destruct at Sotheby’s in London after selling for $1.4 million at auction....

Banksy pronounced the painting “going, going, gone” on his Instagram account, quoting Picasso: “The urge to destroy is also a creative urge.” (The quote is often attributed to Picasso, but also to Mikhail Bakunin, the Russian anarchist who died five years before Picasso was born.)

But the painting was neatly shredded and could easily be backed on another canvas by a competent conservator. Thanks to the publicity of this stunt, could the painting now be even more desirable as a piece of auction history?

:watch:

Vagabond

A New Law For Scotland: Nobody Puts Shetland In A Box
Shetlanders had enough, and now they'll not only be on the map – they'll be in the right geographical location.

Scott successfully led an effort to add a new statute to Scottish law requiring government maps of Scotland to depict the Shetland Islands "in a manner that accurately and proportionately represents their geographical location in relation to the rest of Scotland."
:rolleyes:

This sort of law would be better applied to the Isles of Scilly. :shuffle:

Vagabond

A 5-Year-Old’s 15-Page Résumé Captivates China
The young applicant is described as confident and courageous. His résumé, at 15 pages, is glittering, complete with performance reviews (“full of energy”), a map of his travels (trips to Tokyo and Bali) and a list of books he has read this year (408 in total).

But the applicant is not a seasoned job seeker. He is a 5-year-old boy from southern China applying for a spot in first grade at a Shanghai private school.
According to :sekret:, he is using Harvard as his fallback school.

ilovepaydays

Meanwhile.....in Virginia, our Governor was having the worst PR week ever - then this news broke this afternoon. I have no words for this.

But honestly - where ON EARTH was the oppo research on Northam during TWO state senate and then TWO statewide campaigns?

BTW - I didn’t know where else to put this, unless people want a separate thread for it. Not sure if it’s worth it.

Last edited:

skatingguy

Golden Team
So he doesn’t believe in things he can’t see and yet believes in God? :huh:
I wonder if someone showed him bacteria on a electron-microscope whether that would be sufficient for him to 'believe' in their existence, or whether he only believes in things that he can't see at any particular moment. For example, does he believe a person exists when he can see them, but if he turns his back does he think that they're not real anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information