Silly news from all over

PRlady

I can't find a place to put this, but maybe we need a thread on news of the stupid. I'd characterize it as stupidity without serious ramifications- i.e., most political news doesn't qualify.

Anyway, Oren Haz, Israel's most clownish, idiotic member of Knesset, is on his way to the Allenby bridge to fight a Jordanian member of parliament. As in physically fight. Will post video when available.

ETA: oh, well. https://apnews.com/79e1d3e50af34909...n=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

Last edited:

Vagabond

What a great thread topic! :inavoid:

Is it okay to post items where it's the journalism itself that is silly? :unsure:

On the occasion of the Duke of Edinburgh's retirement, The Daily Telegraph published an incomplete article that incorrectly announced his death!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...aph-wrongly-announces-duke-of-edinburgh-death

The piece read: “The Duke of Edinburgh, the longest-serving consort to a monarch in British history, has died at the age of XX, Buckingham Palace has announced.

“Prince Philip, whom the Queen described as her ‘strength and stay’ during her record-breaking reign, passed away XXXXXXX

“FILL IN DETAILS

“He will be given a royal ceremonial funeral in line with his wishes, which is expected to take place in seven days’ time.”

A note at the top of the article read: “This file needs to be a living file – and will serve Apple News as well as be the main news story. Please stick to the format below.”
:oops:

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
http://www.politicalgarbagechute.com/susan-collins-blake-farentholds-race/
Senator Susan Collins (R) Declines Duel With Representative Blake Farenthold (R), Challenges Him to 1 Meter Dash Instead

“If Rep. Farenthold wants to challenge me to some kind of contest,” Collins told reporters, “then I’d suggest a foot race. Let’s say, one meter. Just a single meter. That’s only about three feet. Let’s see if he can outrun me at that distance. I don’t think he can.”

Blake is the one on the right in duck pajamas

https://www.google.com/search?site=...9.0..0i131k1.CMOqGUimukc#imgrc=TtQB_d7yOtyqBM:

Here's Susan- I think she would win either contest:
http://bangordailynews.com/2014/03/...-magazines-most-powerful-women-in-washington/

Vagabond

Bus seats mistaken for burqas by members of anti-immigrant group

“Tragic”, “terrifying” and “disgusting” were among the comments posted by members of the closed Fedrelandet viktigst, or “Fatherland first”, group beneath the photograph, according to screenshots on the Norwegian news website Nettavisen.

Other members of the 13,000-strong group wondered whether the non-existent passengers might be carrying bombs or weapons beneath their clothes. “This looks really scary,” wrote one. “Should be banned. You can’t tell who’s underneath. Could be terrorists.”
I can't make up stuff like this. I wish I could, but I can't. :wuzrobbed

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
This would be funny, but really its just disgusting:

Bus seats mistaken for burqas by members of anti-immigrant group (The Guardian)

A Norwegian anti-immigrant group has been roundly ridiculed after members apparently mistook a photograph of six empty Oslo bus seats posted on its Facebook page for a group of women wearing burqas.

“Tragic”, “terrifying” and “disgusting” were among the comments posted by members of the closed Fedrelandet viktigst, or “Fatherland first”, group beneath the photograph, according to screenshots on the Norwegian news website Nettavisen.
ETA: Ha! Jinx @Vagabond!!

Vagabond

The Facebook group has 13,000 members. :yikes:
The article makes it clear that the figure includes infitrators like Johan Slåttavik, self-described as "Norway's worst web troll and proud of it," who posted the photo, and Sindre Beyer, the former Labor MP who published the screen shots.

I wonder how many more of those 13,000 are like the two of them.

Last edited:

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fe...s-c-listers-landed-trump-as-president-1025676

Trump was all set to play the POTUS in Sharknado 5, after Sarah Palin backed out. Then his lawyer told the Sharknado folks that Trump going to run for president for realz instead.

The Sharknado folks gave the role to Mark Cuban and announced it at a press conference.

"Then we immediately heard from Trump's lawyer," recalls Latt. "He basically said, 'How dare you? Donald wanted to do this. We're going to sue you! We're going to shut the entire show down!' " Contacted by THR, Cohen acknowledges a dinner with Ziering to discuss casting Trump but says he has no recollection of the angry correspondence.

Webb, now at his own production company, is philosophical about the dustup. "I took it personally, but I get it now," he says. "That was my moment of doing business with Donald Trump. And that's Sharknado."

Vagabond

Bus seats mistaken for burqas by members of anti-immigrant group

I can't make up stuff like this. I wish I could, but I can't. :wuzrobbed
On the other hand, perhaps one of lurkers can make up stuff like this:

'Self-driving car' actually controlled by man dressed up as a car seat

Er ... what? o_O

When Tuss tried to ask him questions – “Brother, who are you? What are you doing? I’m with the news, dude” – he reportedly skipped the red light and sped off.
:shuffle:

Buzz

Police in Laval Quebec are looking for some of the most dumbest thieves ever! They apparently stole hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise from a Hudson Bay store but then lost most of it when failed to lock the getaway truck door. :lol:

At least 15 suitcases, containing jewels, perfume, beauty products and other items, were found in the shopping centre’s parking lot.

It appears the suspects failed to properly close the back of the cube truck they were using as a getaway vehicle.
http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/thieves-break-into-bay-store-in-carrefour-laval

Miezekatze

Breitbart (British Version I think) took a vacation photo of German World Cup winning Soccer star Lukas Podolski on a Jet Ski to illustrate some article about Spanish Police tracking down a gang of smugglers who brought immigrants into Spain on Jet skis :rolleyes::rolleyes: :huh::huh:

Here's a screenshot:
http://www.bento.de/upload/images/i...reitbart_eff89a5985a475378cd3170917df5aaf.jpg

Podolski is going to sue Breitbart over it...I hope being sued by a Soccer millionaire is successful and costs them some money :p :saint::saint::saint:

MsZem

Breitbart (British Version I think) took a vacation photo of German World Cup winning Soccer star Lukas Podolski on a Jet Ski to illustrate some article about Spanish Police tracking down a gang of smugglers who brought immigrants into Spain on Jet skis :rolleyes::rolleyes: :huh::huh:

Here's a screenshot:
http://www.bento.de/upload/images/i...reitbart_eff89a5985a475378cd3170917df5aaf.jpg

Podolski is going to sue Breitbart over it...I hope being sued by a Soccer millionaire is successful and costs them some money :p :saint::saint::saint:
And then they had to issue a correction stating that he is neither a smuggler nor a person being trafficked :rofl:

Vagabond

Crown Prince of Denmark Turned Away From Australian Bar for Lack of ID
“Perfectly sober. Well dressed. Incredibly polite,” Mr. Lane said in describing them. “They finished their workday and wanted a nightcap before their hotel.”

“It was so embarrassing,” he added. “And on the world stage, we look a bit silly.”
Ya think?

Fortunately, Mr. Lane, Commissioner Stewart, and Queensland (Queensland!), FSU has a thread just for you. :)

Vagabond

Can we include silly pseudoscience along with silly politics? :unsure: :saint:

Self-taught rocket scientist plans launch to test flat Earth theory

He plans to launch a homemade rocket in California as part of a bid to eventually prove that the Earth is flat.

Hughes has spent $20,000 (£15,000) building the steam-powered rocket in his spare time, and will be livestreaming the launch over the internet.
:watch:

The rocket, which Hughes aims to reach an altitude of 1,800ft (550 metres) over California, will be launched from the back of a converted motorhome purchased from Craigslist. It is sponsored by a flat Earth research group, and Hughes plans a subsequent trip to try and observe the flatness of the Earth for himself.
:watch:

ETA: JK Rowling doesn't exist: conspiracy theories the internet can't resist

(From a Tweet posted by the Flat Earth Society)

The Flat Earth Society has members all around the globe.
:shuffle:

Last edited:

ballettmaus

I know that if something happens, it's the guy's own fault but I sincerely hope that he won't injure himself or others with his homemade rocket.

skatingguy

Golden Team
I know that if something happens, it's the guy's own fault but I sincerely hope that he won't injure himself or others with his homemade rocket.
And you just that if, and when, it happens, they'll be all over Internet saying that NASA sabotaged the effort to prevent the truth from getting out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information