Shortages Real and Feared

skipaway

The Next Shortage

With membrane viruses, all you have to do is break that membrane and they’re inactivated,” Meyers explains. “It’s very difficult to work with the actual *********-19 *****. But the membranes [in coronaviruses in general] are pretty much the same.”

The results: The Listerine mouthwashes, as well as Crest Pro-Health, Equate Antiseptic mouthwash, and CVS Antiseptic mouthwash, were “highly effective at inactivating infectious ***** with greater than 99.9 percent,” according to the researchers in the study — even after only swishing around the mouthwash for 30 seconds.

The researchers also found that the mouthwash products with hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) as their active ingredient — such as CVS’ Peroxide Sore Mouth and Orajel Antiseptic Rinse — “all demonstrated similar abilities to inactivate” the human ******** 229e by 90 to 99 percent.

annie720

The only thing I am planning to stock up on is alcohol (the drinkable kind). I don't know if I will be celebrating, dealing with stressful waiting, or blotting out unpleasantness ... but the day after election day, I will be ready!
Can't you swish that around in your mouth and get the same result as with the mouthwashes mentioned above?

spinZZ

Can't you swish that around in your mouth and get the same result as with the mouthwashes mentioned above?
The actual study is here: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jmv.26514 . Caveat: The ******** used in the tests is not the one that causes C_O_V_I_D-19. Some of the mouthwashes used in the tests do contain up to 21.6% alcohol (booze equivalent ~44 proof). The alcohol, though, is listed as an inactive ingredient.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
A couple of weeks ago I went into a supermarket and found several boxes of my favorite frozen dinner, something that had gone missing last spring.

Today I went into a different supermarket and found a soup I like that I hadn't seen in months.

I don't think in either case these foods are being manufactured again. I think it's much more likely they were located in warehouses and brought out to clean things up.

But it adds a whole new level to grocery shopping. It's like a treasure hunt now. What old favorites are going to show up before disappearing again for good?

JasperBoy

Stayin inside
Strange, that happened to me, too. I hope a few more cases of different canned goods that have been off the shelves for months will be discovered. I will now keep my eye out for Heinz Tomato Soup!

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member

Grocery stores are preparing for a second wave of panic buying — you should, too

With an alarming increase in *********-19 cases this fall, panic buying could return as worries of a second lockdown spread. Retailers say they’re already seeing the signs and are hopeful they’ll be ready.

Grocers Stockpile, Build ‘********* Pallets’ Ahead of Winter

Supermarkets are stockpiling groceries and storing them early to prepare for the fall and winter months, when some health experts warn the country could see another widespread outbreak of ***** cases and new restrictions. Food companies are accelerating production of their most popular items, and leaders across the industry are saying they won’t be caught unprepared in the face of another ********* surge.

The ********* will make it hard to find these foods this fall

Better get that soup while you can, @JasperBoy!

Lizziebeth

A couple of weeks ago I went into a supermarket and found several boxes of my favorite frozen dinner, something that had gone missing last spring.

Today I went into a different supermarket and found a soup I like that I hadn't seen in months.

I don't think in either case these foods are being manufactured again. I think it's much more likely they were located in warehouses and brought out to clean things up.

But it adds a whole new level to grocery shopping. It's like a treasure hunt now. What old favorites are going to show up before disappearing again for good?
I have had that experience too with shortages of random things that have started to be on the shelves again. I shop in a town with about five grocery stores within a few miles of each other. I rotate going to them and you never know what you will find - or not find. I agree it is a treasure hunt!

annie720

We are having a hard time finding medium sized jars of peanut butter in any of the places where we shop. Everything is very large or small.

spinZZ

Two weeks ago, I couldn't find any chutney and Worcestershire sauce at the supermarket. It wasn't the case that there were still shelf markers in place for them, and just no stock. The entire condiments aisle had been redone: filled with tons of ketchup, mustard, and hot sauce. I guess the store had to clear out the less popular items to make space to stockpile old favorites.

spinZZ

Grocery stores are preparing for a second wave of panic buying — you should, too

With an alarming increase in *********-19 cases this fall, panic buying could return as worries of a second lockdown spread. Retailers say they’re already seeing the signs and are hopeful they’ll be ready.

Grocers Stockpile, Build ‘********* Pallets’ Ahead of Winter

Supermarkets are stockpiling groceries and storing them early to prepare for the fall and winter months, when some health experts warn the country could see another widespread outbreak of ***** cases and new restrictions. Food companies are accelerating production of their most popular items, and leaders across the industry are saying they won’t be caught unprepared in the face of another ********* surge.

The ********* will make it hard to find these foods this fall

Better get that soup while you can, @JasperBoy!
Yep, fortunately my local Costco learned from the spring shortages. Inventories on most items started to return to normal around Aug; and they set, enforced, and maintained limits on the most in-demand items. I went last week, and there were still pallets of toilet paper, paper towels, and facial tissue; limit one bundle each. Since my wife and I each have membership cards, and go in with separate shopping carts, each of us can buy one bundle. Over the last 3 months, we've stockpiled enough nonperishable goods and foods with long shelf life to last us through the "dark winter" to come. During Nov and Dec, I plan to avoid holiday crowds as much as possible, and plan to go to a couple of small grocery stores only for fresh meat and produce (these independent grocery stores carry only a limited range of items; hence, they are less popular and less chaotic than the major supermarkets).

spinZZ

Today Kroger was completely stocked with paper towels, but not toilet paper. I had to get a 12 mega-roll in the Charmin Soft because they didn't have anything smaller. I went there because I had two $2 coupons. And the last CVS generic I got, three of the 9 rolls weren't perforated after every square, and I was not going to get Kroger's generic. I've had trouble with their trash bags and paper towels too. I know, I'll use it all before I die, probably. But I had to take one column of four out and put them in a different bag in the linen closet because they would not all fit in their place under the sink. Oh, yeah, they were $13.99 and they made the tax $1.01. So it would come out an even $15? It's not like I was going to pay cash. That's 7.2%. Sales tax is supposed to be 7.5%, so I saved 4 cents. And $4.
I went to the supermarket today armed with my shopping list which included a bottle of white vinegar. And I bought one. The only 32 ounce bottle they had on their shelf.

They did have 3 or 4 big plastic jugs of white vinegar, so I don't know if it's the vinegar or the bottles that are hard for the store to come by. Or if it's just my supermarket that's suffering from a lack of bottled white vinegar. Or if it was simply an oddity of the moment and as soon as I left hundreds of 32 ounce or smaller bottles of white vinegar shoved their way onto the shelf.

Life is so peculiar nowadays.
I've had the opposite problem. I want the large bundle of toilet paper and the gallon of white vinegar. But my usual supermarket has recently had only small bundles and small bottles (plenty of them; but more expensive this way if you need larger quantities). I have a Costco that I go to (once per month at most) for large quantities of items that I commonly use and plan for; but some items, like the white vinegar, are for a special project, and not things I normally use.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Two weeks ago, I couldn't find any chutney and Worcestershire sauce at the supermarket. It wasn't the case that there were still shelf markers in place for them, and just no stock. The entire condiments aisle had been redone: filled with tons of ketchup, mustard, and hot sauce. I guess the store had to clear out the less popular items to make space to stockpile old favorites.

We've been hearing for months that manufacturers are narrowing their range to the best sellers so they can keep up, and I think you're seeing the result of that.

I imagine it will be the same for a lot of canned goods - not as many soup flavours, baked beans, canned pastas, sodas etc. If you have a favourite, I'd grab a few now :)

gkelly

For months I've been trying to order Cabot's Seriously Sharp cheddar cheese for curbside pickup from the local supermarket or delivery from Amazon Fresh. Each time they send me Extra Sharp instead, or that's all that's available on the website. So I figured the Seriously Sharp wasn't being made now.

I did find some at the coop this past weekend. So I bought two packages. Which might be the last of my favorite cheese for who knows how long.

Debbie S

Bathroom cleaner seems to be the latest MIA item. At least the Lysol cleaner (and I don't think it's one of the products approved to kill YKW like the all-purpose cleaner). I haven't been able to find it anywhere. I still have some and I guess when that runs out, I can use the all-purpose.

Last Saturday, I did online grocery order/pickup. It was ready on time, so an improvement over last time, but quite a few items I ordered were out of stock, including toilet paper, bottled water, bar soap, some frozen veggies and laundry detergent. I didn't ask for substitutions so I don't know if they had similar items. But I found most of the other items in a quick trip to Target, so I'm OK.

I do need more hand sanitizer wipes. Target had Wet Ones and Purell wipes, but they don't have alcohol.

DreamSkates

Tomorrow is pay day. I'm going to stock up on everything. Whatever meat will fit in my freezer (room that is left), and more of everything, if I can find it. Especially a variety of dried beans which cook up well in a crockpot.

Japanfan

For months I've been trying to order Cabot's Seriously Sharp cheddar cheese for curbside pickup from the local supermarket or delivery from Amazon Fresh. Each time they send me Extra Sharp instead, or that's all that's available on the website. So I figured the Seriously Sharp wasn't being made now.

Is that the same as Old Cheddar and Extra old cheddar (used in Canada)?

once_upon

Voter
I do the let me pick substitution requests. And also do the no substitution option for diet coke or blue bunny sweet freedom no sugar added (that DH wants). But sometimes do the best match selection - which they do.

One thing that appears to be in short supply - smoked pork chops, which come in a package of two. When they substitute I end up with fresh pork chops - sometimes boneless, sometimes bone in. Except they come in packages of four. I have to repack for packages of 2.

When they substitute chicken breaststroke for chicken tenders, they come in packages of 3

VALuvsMKwan

Wandering Goy
I do the let me pick substitution requests. And also do the no substitution option for diet coke or blue bunny sweet freedom no sugar added (that DH wants). But sometimes do the best match selection - which they do.

One thing that appears to be in short supply - smoked pork chops, which come in a package of two. When they substitute I end up with fresh pork chops - sometimes boneless, sometimes bone in. Except they come in packages of four. I have to repack for packages of 2.

When they substitute chicken breaststroke for chicken tenders, they come in packages of 3
The mental image of poultry swimming events made me :lol:.

Cupid

The only thing I am planning to stock up on is alcohol (the drinkable kind). I don't know if I will be celebrating, dealing with stressful waiting, or blotting out unpleasantness ... but the day after election day, I will be ready!
Champagne!

Lizziebeth

Hey ducks and swans swim. :)

Since my phone did an update several months ago, I seem to have more incidents of "auto correct"
Auto correct drives me bonkers. The 'suggestions' are often not related at all to what I am trying to type :rolleyes:

I use hotmail and they did an update and added suggestive text. WTF?? I made more typos looking at that while I was trying to type something else. Fortunately, Dr Google told me how to turn that off!

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
The most well stocked supermarket in my town didn’t have any flatbread type pizza crust, sugar free pudding, or shelf stable bacon today. I hate going out twice, but we really need that crust. On the good news front, CVS finally had spray disinfectant.

I plan a Costco run for Election Day. I was going to go out anyway to see the lines (I’ve already voted). I’ve got to finish getting my holiday baking supplies now as it will be harder to get them after next week.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Food stockpiling is back (but the stores and manufacturers are more prepared for it).

To keep shelves from looking scarce, Raley’s is ordering more private-label brands ahead of an expected rush on holiday essentials like baking supplies and sauces. It expects the rush to start earlier this year, and it plans to hold 20% more inventory than normal for some under-supplied categories.

“There is definitely a lot of hoarding that’s being anticipated that’s already causing a little strain,” Gianetto said in an interview. “The real thick of it is going to be those 10 to 14 days prior to Thanksgiving.”

Vivek Sankaran, chief executive officer of Albertsons Cos., which operates Safeway, Vons and other grocery chains, also said the company is stocking up on more Thanksgiving items. It’s still difficult to get items like cleaning sprays and wipes, hot dogs and flour, he said.

I chose those paragraphs to quote because of the hot dogs. I hadn't known there was a hot dog shortage or that hot dogs were a Thanksgiving staple.

I am now rethinking that entire First Thanksgiving Dinner and putting in a weenie roast. If the Pilgrims also had marshmallows, I'm there.

Susan1

The most well stocked supermarket in my town didn’t have any flatbread type pizza crust, sugar free pudding, or shelf stable bacon today. I hate going out twice, but we really need that crust. On the good news front, CVS finally had spray disinfectant.

I plan a Costco run for Election Day. I was going to go out anyway to see the lines (I’ve already voted). I’ve got to finish getting my holiday baking supplies now as it will be harder to get them after next week.
You mentioned CVS - if you go in the normal aisle at the one I go to, with toilet paper, paper towels, paper plates, trash bags.....or the usual hand soap aisle, things look pretty picked over. And it's like "oh no". But if you go to the next aisle, I don't even remember what is usually there, everything is there. One whole side of the aisle - toilet paper, paper towels, wipes, hand soap, sanitizer, disinfectant spray.

annie720

Food stockpiling is back (but the stores and manufacturers are more prepared for it).

Vivek Sankaran, chief executive officer of Albertsons Cos., which operates Safeway, Vons and other grocery chains, also said the company is stocking up on more Thanksgiving items. It’s still difficult to get items like cleaning sprays and wipes, hot dogs and flour, he said.

I chose those paragraphs to quote because of the hot dogs. I hadn't known there was a hot dog shortage or that hot dogs were a Thanksgiving staple.

I am now rethinking that entire First Thanksgiving Dinner and putting in a weenie roast. If the Pilgrims also had marshmallows, I'm there.
Funny about the hotdogs. I just returned from Walmart Market and picked up both hot dogs and flour. We haven't had hot dogs since the early days of isolation and the idea appealed to me. Anyway, neither seemed in short supply. They also had tons of my favored Quilted Northern so I got another 12-pack of Mega rolls. The Charmin shelves seemed low. I now have 3 of the 12-packs and probably won't even look at tp until the new year. Napkins were very low but I don't consider paper napkins to be a necessity so that doesn't bother me.

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
You mentioned CVS - if you go in the normal aisle at the one I go to, with toilet paper, paper towels, paper plates, trash bags.....or the usual hand soap aisle, things look pretty picked over. And it's like "oh no". But if you go to the next aisle, I don't even remember what is usually there, everything is there. One whole side of the aisle - toilet paper, paper towels, wipes, hand soap, sanitizer, disinfectant spray.
I don't know about your CVS, but mine is in the process of re-doing the layout of the store and so nothing is where it is supposed to be and the aisle labels don't match the product.

It's pretty annoying, as it keeps me in the store longer.

MacMadame

Staying at home
We have been able to get hot dogs regularly and consistently. I guess the shortage is regional? Or maybe we are just lucky. :D

Still haven't got any disinfecting wipes but the Wet Ones work well for mopping up pet accidents and wiping counters so we are surviving.

I bought flour early on when it was scarce thinking I would bake a lot. It's still sitting unopened in the freezer. 🤷‍♀️ I kind of feel bad for buying it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information