Shortages Real and Feared

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
I bought toilet paper today for the first time in 16 months. Last March, I snagged a Costco size package, then bought another when restrictions were partially lifted in May.

annie720

I bought toilet paper today for the first time in 16 months. Last March, I snagged a Costco size package, then bought another when restrictions were partially lifted in May.
I looked at toilet paper in Target yesterday but couldn't make myself pick any up. There was plenty and I just opened a pack of 18 mega rolls. I don't think I've bought any in a year but with just 2 of us it goes a long way.

Susan1

Not a general shortage, just me. I've just been looking for the old Glass Plus that does not stink (even the ammonia free glass cleaners smell chemical-y) for years. I got one at Ace when I was looking for 25 watt light bulbs (I smelled it first). I wanted to see if they had it at Kroger too (they don't at CVS). This was funny. See "ship" at the bottom.
Item 1 of 6 is selected.

Glass Plus Ammonia Free Spring Waterfall Scent Glass Cleaner​

32 fl ozUPC: 0001920089331
Purchase Options
Located in Aisle 8
Pickup
$2.29discounted from$2.69
Delivery
Ship
$66.80

FiveRinger

Not a general shortage, just me. I've just been looking for the old Glass Plus that does not stink (even the ammonia free glass cleaners smell chemical-y) for years. I got one at Ace when I was looking for 25 watt light bulbs (I smelled it first). I wanted to see if they had it at Kroger too (they don't at CVS). This was funny. See "ship" at the bottom.
Item 1 of 6 is selected.

Glass Plus Ammonia Free Spring Waterfall Scent Glass Cleaner​

32 fl ozUPC: 0001920089331
Purchase Options
Located in Aisle 8
Pickup
Delivery
Ship
$66.80
I gave up on glass cleaner long time ago. Vinegar and water works better than any cleaner I've ever bought. And it's the cheapest. I wipe it away with newspaper if I have some, a clean, dry towel or paper towel if I don't. The smell dissipates quickly, but I don't mind it.

Susan1

I gave up on glass cleaner long time ago. Vinegar and water works better than any cleaner I've ever bought. And it's the cheapest. I wipe it away with newspaper if I have some, a clean, dry towel or paper towel if I don't. The smell dissipates quickly, but I don't mind it.
Glass Plus is the only thing that doesn't leave streaks anywhere. I'm very sensitive to smells. Other glass cleaners, my eyes will burn for days. I've tried vinegar, plain water, rubbing alcohol, newspaper, clean cloth, paper towel, microfiber towel on glass, everything. Glass Plus works on countertops, door knobs, splashes on the wall, scuff marks on the baseboards, ceramic figurines, faucets, everything but wood or fabric. I'm going to do the inside of my car windows tomorrow morning. I actually forgot this morning. Thanks for bringing this up. I'll have to make a note. It's too hot in there now. I wish I could use it on the flat t.v. screen. Do you think I could if I sprayed it on the microfiber towel and not the screen? I've tried vinegar and rubbing alcohol (separately) on the t.v. Doesn't work.

FiveRinger

Glass Plus is the only thing that doesn't leave streaks anywhere. I'm very sensitive to smells. Other glass cleaners, my eyes will burn for days. I've tried vinegar, plain water, rubbing alcohol, newspaper, clean cloth, paper towel, microfiber towel on glass, everything. Glass Plus works on countertops, door knobs, splashes on the wall, scuff marks on the baseboards, ceramic figurines, faucets, everything but wood or fabric. I'm going to do the inside of my car windows tomorrow morning. I actually forgot this morning. Thanks for bringing this up. I'll have to make a note. It's too hot in there now. I wish I could use it on the flat t.v. screen. Do you think I could if I sprayed it on the microfiber towel and not the screen? I've tried vinegar and rubbing alcohol (separately) on the t.v. Doesn't work.
It will work on your TV screen. I spray directly on the towel or paper towel and wipe it down. Don't spray the screen directly. Then use a fresh side to wipe it dry. It might take a little elbow grease. And don't use microfiber. There is something in the fabric of those that will make everything streaky. Use a cotton towel or paper towel. You get streaks when you didn't use enough liquid.

Susan1

It will work on your TV screen. I spray directly on the towel or paper towel and wipe it down. Don't spray the screen directly. Then use a fresh side to wipe it dry. It might take a little elbow grease. And don't use microfiber. There is something in the fabric of those that will make everything streaky. Use a cotton towel or paper towel. You get streaks when you didn't use enough liquid.
Thanks for helping me hijack this thread for a minute! The instructions with the t.v. say to use a microfiber towel and vinegar or rubbing alcohol. Paper towels supposedly scratch. The screen has bright spots in it. There's some name for what happens to flat screen t.v.s. It's supposed to be normal? You are supposed to push hard from the center to the outer corners, but not too hard. It has never worked.

O.k. - I just looked at the ingredients list and this in Wiki - "This product does not contain the chemicals ammonia, alcohol, animal byproducts, bleach, or phosphates." Hence, no yucky smell!! The t.v.'s page says not to use anything with ammonia or alcohol. So, duh to me. I wouldn't spray it directly on anyway, now that I have found Glass Plus again. I could be the spokesperson for the Plus part! I get started and I can't stop. I will try a regular towel on the t.v., if it doesn't bleed color or lose threads.

Last edited:

Susan1

Why are there shortages now? Or just stores being out?

Carnation Breakfast Essentials. I've never had any trouble getting it. Two Krogers, I don't know about Meijer or Walmart.

Rainberry Gatorade. Rainberry is the only one I can drink. The others have too much acid. And Cherry Glacier if I water it down. Two Krogers again. Meijer never had the Rainberry. I don't know about Walmart. They've got full shelves of the blue and green and orange and pallets as high as my waist in the middle of the main aisles. Why don't they order the stuff they are out of instead of piling up more of what people are not buying? And Kroger had the blue ones all spread out in the two areas where the Rainberry and Cherry would be so it looks like they are fully stocked.

Ice Mountain water in the big bottles. For some reason the little bottles leave a bad taste in my mouth. So I've been getting the 6 pack when they have them. There's a sign that says they are having trouble stocking it. They have them in the 24 packs or whatever it is. I can't lift that. I guess I could have somebody put it in my cart, and then take it out and put it in my trunk. And I could get out one or two bottles at a time and carry them in the house till it got to a manageable weight?

And of course they have tons of canisters of LemiShine Lemon wipes now. Full shelf and on endcap. I got that one can of them, what, last March? And they smelled good and were not drying. Then they were always out. I guess people aren't sanitizing everything anymore?

once_upon

Vaccinated
Many of the current shortages are related to the shortage of truck drivers.

One thing I didn't think of we heard from a bar owner and one of the managers on the Riverboat, many places converted their products to meet the demands of the beginning of the pan*demic. Many alcohol production places started producing hand sanitizers rather than alcohol for consumption.

Plus many production places are having a hard time finding employees

Last edited:

Susan1

One thing I didn't think of we heard from a bar owner and one of the managers on the Riverboat, many places converted their products to meet the demands of the beginning of the pan*demic. Many alcohol production places started producing hand sanitizers rather than alcohol for consumption.

But see, that's the thing....they can deliver the wrapped cases of Ice Mountain and the tiny bottles, but not the 6 packs? Switch packing lines to the 6 pack packaging. And the Gatorade all comes from the same place, doesn't it? The pallets of blue and orange and punch got there somehow. They should put people in charge of taking care of the things that are being sold, not stockpiled in the store. Seems like Kroger is wasting money or losing money? Somebody bought all the Rainberry, including me. I would have bought more if I would have known it was going to disappear. The blue (riptide something?) is not being bought. They just keep spreading it out on the empty shelves where the other tags are. After the weather cools, Wednesday, I won't even be drinking it in the evening anyway. I really don't get as sweaty overnight (TMI) as when I drink decaf pop.

once_upon

Vaccinated
But see, that's the thing....they can deliver the wrapped cases of Ice Mountain and the tiny bottles, but not the 6 packs? Switch packing lines to the 6 pack packaging. And the Gatorade all comes from the same place, doesn't it? The pallets of blue and orange and punch got there somehow. They should put people in charge of taking care of the things that are being sold, not stockpiled in the store. Seems like Kroger is wasting money or losing money? Somebody bought all the Rainberry, including me. I would have bought more if I would have known it was going to disappear. The blue (riptide something?) is not being bought. They just keep spreading it out on the empty shelves where the other tags are. After the weather cools, Wednesday, I won't even be drinking it in the evening anyway. I really don't get as sweaty overnight (TMI) as when I drink decaf pop.
It most likely is the production line for Ice Mountain water. How profitable it is for them to package cases and small bottles vs the 6 pack. Manufacturers are going to go with the most popular sizing.

Probably the same with Gatorade flavors.

Some stores if you request will try to get stuff on their shelves. But sometimes it's just not available or in short supply in your area. Like Sun Chips in my area or Blue Bunny Low Sugar ice cream bars.

gkelly

It most likely is the production line for Ice Mountain water. How profitable it is for them to package cases and small bottles vs the 6 pack. Manufacturers are going to go with the most popular sizing.

Probably the same with Gatorade flavors.

Some stores if you request will try to get stuff on their shelves. But sometimes it's just not available or in short supply in your area. Like Sun Chips in my area or Blue Bunny Low Sugar ice cream bars.
Or quarts of milk. I have to buy half gallons even though I can't necessarily finish before it goes bad.

FiveRinger

I saw a video addressing this just yesterday. It spoke about the number of truckers losing their jobs due to positive drug tests and DWIs. Not surprising. Being a truck driver now has got to be stressful as hell. It also talked about the inability for new drivers to be trained to get CDLs because of YKW.

The other thing I learned is that are shortages on things sold in aluminum, like canned goods and soft drinks, which I didn't know. There is an aluminum shortage. Even the preppers are complaining about not being able to find lids for canning jars (Mason, Ball, etc).

One think you might want to do is check the local stores as opposed to the national chain stores. People complain more about empty shelves at Walmart, Target, Costco, Sam's Club, etc. And that's true. But I have better luck finding stuff at my local grocery store, even though there are Help Wanted signs at all of them. They don't have empty shelves, but they are a little more expensive.

Last edited:

Susan1

I saw a video addressing this just yesterday. It spoke about the number of truckers losing their jobs due to positive drug tests and DWIs. Not surprising. Being a truck driver now has got to be stressful as hell. It also talked about the inability for new drivers to be trained to get CDLs because of YKW.

The other thing I learned is that are shortages on things sold in aluminum, like canned goods and soft drinks, which I didn't know. There is an aluminum shortage. Even the peppers are complaining about not being able to find lids for canning jars (Mason, Ball, etc).

One think you might want to do is check the local stores as opposed to the national chain stores. People complain more about empty shelves at Walmart, Target, Costco, Sam's Club, etc. And that's true. But I have better luck finding stuff at my local grocery store, even though there are Help Wanted signs at all of them. They don't have empty shelves, but they are a little more expensive.
The local-est thing I have is Kroger. I just remembered while I was there, there are signs out front that say masks recommended for unvaccinated people. But an announcement kept going over that all employees were required to wear masks, regardless of vaccination status and they would prefer that customers did to. After you are already in the store? At the new big Kroger over in Moraine Thursday, almost all customers had on masks. Miamisburg is full of jerks.

Susan1

Shortage update - I had to go get a furnace filter at Menard's so I was close to Walmart already. They had instant breakfast (it's called Carnation Breakfast Essentials, but we've been calling it instant breakfast all my life). They had a couple that said "new packaging" on them. That's what the clerk at Kroger thought why they were out of the clearance priced Resolve carpet cleaner; they will restock with new packaging - at the regular price. I got a box of 22 instant breakfasts just in case. They are cheaper than Kroger even. The Pepsi guy happened to be in the Gatorade aisle and said Walmart does not stock the Rainberry anymore, but Kroger does. I said not lately. He said to keep looking. And they had the bigger bottles of Ice Mountain water not in a 24 pack. So somewhat success that must not have to do with not having trucks. And Menard's had 25 watt bulbs - not LED ones.

Japanfan

My local liquor store was seriously in short supply of boxed wine today. I've never seen it so low.

Last edited:

jadingirl

I was reading on the CBC that there is a chicken wing shortage! Apparently with everyone going out now smaller pubs etc are having a problem getting wings. The one owner interviewed said he couldn't get any wings in until December!

Japanfan

I love chicken wings. They are chewy and oh so flavorful. I especially like them with jerk sauce, grilled.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Seems like old times. Costco is bringing back purchase limits on toilet paper and other such items.

Costco Chief Financial Officer Richard Galanti said Thursday the company wants to make sure it has essential items at stores, even as shipping delays and truck driver shortages make it hard to keep them on shelves.

During an earnings call, he said the retailer is “putting some [purchase] limitations on key items.” Those include toilet paper, paper towels, bottled water and high-demand cleaning products. He did not specify how many of each item customers will be able to buy.

The product limits are being prompted by a different cause than in earlier phases of the *********, when stores saw unusually high demand for paper products and antibacterial wipes as customers stockpiled those goods.

“A year ago there was a shortage of merchandise,” Galanti said. “Now they got plenty of merchandise but there’s two- or three-week delays on getting it delivered because there’s a limit on short-term changes to trucking and delivery needs of the suppliers so it really is all over the board.”

FiveRinger

God, this winter is going to be miserable. The weather is unstable. The crud isn't letting up. And my head is starting to hurt thinking about the shortages. I'm already tired.....seriously. I don't think we've hit bottom yet. It's terrifying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information