Shortages Real and Feared

PRlady

The husband is sneaky like that too, he’d take his chances with cutting one down from crown land.
Since we're watching The Crown I'm :rofl: at my vision of ole Queen Liz coming after you with one of her hunting shotguns....

I was bemused by what my supermarket was missing yesterday. Not a whole category but certain brands of cereal, olive oil, spices, and so on. They were also all out of latke mix on the first day of Chanukah which is not good planning.

Spikefan

I lucked out by having horrible heartburn in February. I bought the 250 tablet Kirkland brand famotidine at Costco. I will not be running out anytime soon. :lol:

Debbie S

My grocery order that I picked up today did have paper towels and Puffs - whee! No toilet paper, though. Or bottled water, rice or 1 of the jars of pasta sauce (they did have the other 2).

I did go to Target for the toilet paper (they had several left of the package size I wanted), bottled water, plus got another canister of alcohol wipes (they had a bunch). They had bathroom cleaner but not the Lysol brand, so I decided to try the Scrubbing Bubbles.

I should be good on paper and cleaning products until the end of Jan. Hopefully the surge will be over by then.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
Ergo, the mix. My homemade latkes have too much skin in them to be vegetarian.
I learned from my mother’s boss’ wife. Buy the biggest potatoes you can find and stop grating when you’re getting close to scraping. I still overestimate from time to time.

million$momma

I just got the confirmation email from my grocery store for my pick up order today. All items were available (sub on orange juice because our usual brand was not available) and all items were in stock including on sale toilet paper, hand soap, and Lysol cleaning products. We have just been bumped into the red zone and I wasn't sure if this would trigger another 'binge buying' episode again. So far, so good! Maybe people learned something last time around...

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Here is a shortage (reported by email from the NY Times) that I am completely and totally blameless for and no one can accuse me otherwise:

The United States has a Christmas tree shortage. Many tree lots and farms have already sold out of their largest trees, and some are closing early because of a lack of inventory.​
The ********* is one contributing factor. “I’ve had customers tell me they wanted something happy in the house,” an employee at Boyd’s Christmas Trees in North Carolina told The Asheville Citizen Times. “They want something pretty to look at, and some that usually do artificial, this year they wanted a live tree.”​
But there are other causes, too. Christmas trees can take up to 12 years to grow from seedlings to a harvestable size, which means that 2008 was a key planting year for this year’s trees. In 2008, the economy was in a recession, forcing some farms to close and others to plant fewer trees.​
Climate change also plays a role. Wildfires on the West Coast have damaged some tree farms, The Wall Street Journal reported. And insect infestation and droughts “have affected the trees up and down the East Coast,” Russell Trent, the owner of Mark’s Christmas Tree Farms in Connecticut, told NBC.​
If you want a tree and don’t have one yet, you can probably still find one. Just be prepared for a smaller selection and higher prices.​

intheknow

Weird things I am unable to find: melba toast, everyday shower spray, unflavored LaCroix. OTOH, I found both Clorox wipes (in canisters!) and real Purell at Target. You could buy only one of the Clorox canisters, but there were no limits on the quantity of Purell allowed.

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
Guessing this might have something to do with disruption to supply channels via UK, but there was very little salad left at the supermarket last night.

skipaway

This is a new one to me. It's the Great Marshmallow Shortage of Winnipeg.

All five city Food Fares haven’t been able to keep marshmallows stocked since early November, and neither can his competitors.

“It’s not just us, it’s Sobeys, it’s Safeway, it’s Walmart — everybody’s having an issue with supply,” he said.
Marshmallows are comfort food...s’mores, toasted over open flame, cover for a sweet potato pie, hot cocoa. No wonder there’s a shortage.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
I learned today that there was a shortage of Christmas wrap in my area. The store near me sold out early and people were buying what I think of as birthday wrap. Well, it was Jesus’ birthday, so I guess that’s totally appropriate.

once_upon

I have 4 large rolls i bought at target's 75% off post Christmas sales last year. It will.last my lifetime - even considering how much I typically buy for grandkids. And that 11 years are starting to ask for gift cards.

Susan1

I found all the missing wrapping paper! It's in a Target in 'downtown' Fremont. :lol:
The only places I go are Kroger, CVS and Walgreen's. I've always seen plenty as I was walking past. Kroger still had a whole bin in the aisle right before you get to the self-checkouts yesterday. I've noticed them every time I've been in there, before I read any of these posts, because a lot of them were silver, and I thought about how pretty they were. And "too bad I don't need any".

acraven

The two CVS branches I went to rather early yesterday both had some paper left, but there wasn't a great deal of it, and it didn't look particularly attractive. There was very little in the way of ribbon or tags. In previous years I've scored Christmas wrap and bows at 75% off (rather than 50% off) at Harris Teeter on December 26. I didn't look there this year. I have way too much Christmas wrapping paper at the moment; buying that stuff is a serious weakness of mine; I even brought a bunch back from Scotland last year, carrying it around for over a month before flying home. It's like the old joke about fabric: I act as if the person who dies with the most unused giftwrap wins.

sk8pics

I braved the supermarket this afternoon. I had originally planned to go this evening, but decided to go earlier because there was talk of snow later in the week. There were lots of half empty shelves. No salad that I wanted, no Kashi cereal that I wanted (two flavors). I’m glad I went when I did, because they may have been out of even more stuff by this evening.

It was relatively crowded but everyone was wearing a mask, except for one stupid person with her nose sticking out.

annie720

No chicken wings in our curbside pickup today at the large grocery chain, but went to the much smaller Sprouts and they had some. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information