Shortages Real and Feared

sk8pics

I learned today that Purina is having supply issues, so very little Fancy Feast cat food in the first pet store I visited this morning, and some limited quantities in the second. It depends on the style of food; the pate seems to be the worst. And due to the short supplies, Fancy Feast was not on sale like everything else in the store.

Japanfan

I learned today that Purina is having supply issues, so very little Fancy Feast cat food in the first pet store I visited this morning, and some limited quantities in the second. It depends on the style of food; the pate seems to be the worst. And due to the short supplies, Fancy Feast was not on sale like everything else in the store.

Hope you don't have a :cat:rebellion in your home, @sk8pics. Those can be trying indeed!

Our cat Leo always gets a few spoons of wet food in the morning (eats kibble otherwise). I think he would rather unhappy and disgruntled should his morning treat not be available.

Jenny

From the Bloc
LOL on Fancy Feast. Way back in March, we ordered a case of Fancy Feast because the specialty pet store we normally shop at was closed. The online supermarket sent us two packets of Temptations treats as a substitute, obviously not a pet person filling that order! We had some bizarre substitutions like that at first, until they adjusted to the new demand for their services.

Since then our specialty shop has reopened and we have made several runs to load up, including on bird seed (no need for the critters to go hungry in a *********!) and happily found they have a much better litter than we had been buying at the supermarket.

In other news, I finally got a block of parmesan cheese after two months of trying :)

quartz

scratching at the light
I just bought a 24 pack of fish flavour, pate style, Fancy Feast. Maybe I should have bought more.

skategal

Bunny mama
My mother overheard a worker in the grocery store saying it may be hard to get enough turkeys in for Christmas.

So if you are in Canada and are insisting on a turkey, it may be time to pick it up this week.

Yes we have ours.....

sk8pics

LOL on Fancy Feast. Way back in March, we ordered a case of Fancy Feast because the specialty pet store we normally shop at was closed. The online supermarket sent us two packets of Temptations treats as a substitute, obviously not a pet person filling that order!
:rofl: That is pretty funny to sub Temptations treats for Fancy Feast.
I just bought a 24 pack of fish flavour, pate style, Fancy Feast. Maybe I should have bought more.
Maybe you can sell or trade it with others....

Turns out Bradley is :love: about the Fancy Feast beef pate I got for him. He gets bored, I think, if he gets the same thing too often. But I’m adding it to my list of Bradley-okayed food.

I was in BJs today and they did not have any Bounty paper towels, but had some no-name brand. I wasn’t really that in need, so I passed on them.

quartz

scratching at the light
Metro had the Butterball turkey breasts on sale for $8.00 off, so I bought one plain and one stuffed. The son always gets a turkey from his work, which is right next door to a turkey farm. So we should be fine for turkey products - I’m still thinking I’d rather have ham tho.
Fresh cut Christmas trees are being reported as being in short supply around here. Which seems weird as there‘s got to be at least dozen tree farms within 45 minutes of me.

skategal

Bunny mama
Metro had the Butterball turkey breasts on sale for $8.00 off, so I bought one plain and one stuffed. The son always gets a turkey from his work, which is right next door to a turkey farm. So we should be fine for turkey products - I’m still thinking I’d rather have ham tho.
Fresh cut Christmas trees are being reported as being in short supply around here. Which seems weird as there‘s got to be at least dozen tree farms within 45 minutes of me.
I heard the same thing here too and I don’t get it either.

I’m like just go walk in the woods somewhere and cut one of you have to.

This is not metro Toronto....there’s woods everywhere here. LOL....

MacMadame

Staying at home
I have an auto-ship order with Chewy.com and they set aside the stuff for the auto-ship orders so we get priority. So far so good...

Turns out Bradley is :love: about the Fancy Feast beef pate I got for him. He gets bored, I think, if he gets the same thing too often. But I’m adding it to my list of Bradley-okayed food.
My cats like the beef too. So did Sparky. It was his last meal! :wuzrobbed

quartz

scratching at the light
I heard the same thing here too and I don’t get it either.

I’m like just go walk in the woods somewhere and cut one of you have to.

This is not metro Toronto....there’s woods everywhere here. LOL....
The husband is sneaky like that too, he’d take his chances with cutting one down from crown land.

Parsley Sage

there were stories today about some tree farms near Hamilton closing up for the season due to a shortage.

I have a turkey breast in my freezer that will likely be Christmas dinner.

I know there are a lot of restaurants in my area that don't normally do Christmas dinner planning some sort of take out turkey dinner.

skategal

Bunny mama
Yep....the pole line.

The Power Company has to cut those trees down anyway so they probably won’t care too much. Lol....

sk8pics

I have an auto-ship order with Chewy.com and they set aside the stuff for the auto-ship orders so we get priority. So far so good...
Yeah, I have some auto-ship orders with Amazon and that’s true for them, too. But I don’t trust Bradley to continue eating the same things, and there are very few multipacks where he’ll eat everything. We’ll see how things are in a couple of months.
My cats like the beef too. So did Sparky. It was his last meal! :wuzrobbed
:wuzrobbed I am still so sorry. At least he had a last meal that he liked.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
I know that Whole Foods is out of the question, price wise, for many, but they’ve really upped their game for the holidays. If you order through the app, pickup is amazingly easy. Even with a line, it’s 5 minutes tops. I think I’ll switch over, at least until the post Christmas/New Year’s surge is understood.

Vagabond

I haven't been following this thread much, but I wonder whether people are experiencing shortages of services as well as products.

At least four dry cleaners near where I live have gone out of business. One was in a local shopping center, and the other three were within two blocks of each other in a small commercial district. The owner of one of those three bought the business from a relative of his about a year ago, and there is now a sign in the window that says that he is very ill. 😟

Other dry cleaning shops near me have drastically scaled back their hours.

spinZZ

I haven't been following this thread much, but I wonder whether people are experiencing shortages of services as well as products.

At least four dry cleaners near where I live have gone out of business. One was in a local shopping center, and the other three were within two blocks of each other in a small commercial district. The owner of one of those three bought the business from a relative of his about a year ago, and there is now a sign in the window that says that he is very ill. 😟

You might be interested in this report on the impact of C*V*D on tailors and dry cleaners: https://tinyurl.com/yazw3ddn.
Even though, in most states, dry cleaners were declared essential and allowed to stay open, business literally dried up: work from home for most office workers and cancellation of most formal events resulted in little demand for dry cleaning services; at the same time, expenses rose sharply to meet public health protocols. It's also not economically viable to run the equipment with only small loads of clothing.

Last edited:

Japanfan

The optometrist I go to seems to have shut-down perminently, although there is no sign saying that. I've been by a few times when I'm in the area, and it is always closed.

Susan1

The optometrist I go to seems to have shut-down perminently, although there is no sign saying that. I've been by a few times when I'm in the area, and it is always closed.
When I went to the eye doctor back in June (after I scratched the glasses I am still wearing) they were only open certain hours and by appointment only - one person at a time. I had to call when I got there and they came to let me in. Stupid question, but have you called them or gone to their website?

Debbie S

I imagine dry cleaners are losing business since most people are WFH and not wearing dry-clean-only clothes. When I took a suit jacket (bought in March that I obviously had no need to wear this past spring/summer) to get the sleeves shortened in Sept, the dressmaker I've gone to for years said business has been slow....people aren't buying many new clothes since they have no need, and not many weddings (bridal is a big part of her business) in the near future.

I hope she's able to stay in business.

Japanfan

When I went to the eye doctor back in June (after I scratched the glasses I am still wearing) they were only open certain hours and by appointment only - one person at a time. I had to call when I got there and they came to let me in. Stupid question, but have you called them or gone to their website?

Yes, and didn't get any information.

Susan1

Yes, and didn't get any information.
Hm. Any doctor or dentist or eye doctor that I have seen down here has a c.v. precautions message and/or lists their reduced hours, because of, on their website. Even when I call in my prescription to CVS, they go through a big long thing about vaccines and give you a c.v. number to call before they tell you to press whatever number for the pharmacy. And I can't press it early.

Debbie S

Tried to place an order with Walmart today for paper towels, toilet paper and kleenex. When I hit checkout, a page popped up saying there was an error and to return to my cart. OK, what's the error? Of course it wouldn't tell me (I love a guessing game in the middle of a supply shortage :rolleyes:). By process of elimination, I figured out it was the toilet paper. So I bought the other items, got an email confirmation, and a few hours later got another email telling me the items were out of stock and the order was canceled. So I ordered them from my big-box grocery, along with a bunch of other grocery items, although if past experience is any indication, I will likely not get some, or maybe none. I'll find out Saturday.

Target's website lists all the paper goods I want as out of stock but I've occasionally found "out of stock" items in the store (just like items listed as in stock are nowhere to be found). I may go there if I come up empty-handed on Saturday. Or go back to Staples for the paper towels.

Grocery had toilet bowl cleaner but no bathroom cleaner.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
The New York Times reports that for a nation on edge it's becoming increasingly hard to find antacids.

People searching online or in stores for over-the-counter tummy soothers are finding that they can’t easily buy antacid medications like Tums, Pepcid and its generic version, famotidine, in parts of the country. A few weeks ago, Wegmans Food Markets took the step of limiting shoppers to two packets of famotidine products per trip.

During a ********* that has seen bursts of hoarding, this may be the most unexpected.

Americans are stressed. They’re concerned about the rising number of ******** cases. They worry about their jobs. Remote learning is a nightmare, and grocery shopping is no walk in the park. Not to mention the elections. And now, here come the holidays. The result is that some people are dealing with “********* Stomach,” acid-churning episodes that are increasing demand for over-the-counter and prescription antacids.

Last edited:

spinZZ

The New York Times reports that for a nation on edge it's becoming increasingly hard to find antacids.

People searching online or in stores for over-the-counter tummy soothers are finding that they can’t easily buy antacid medications like Tums, Pepcid and its generic version, famotidine, in parts of the country. A few weeks ago, Wegmans Food Markets took the step of limiting shoppers to two packets of famotidine products per trip.

During a ********* that has seen bursts of hoarding, this may be the most unexpected.

Americans are stressed. They’re concerned about the rising number of ******** cases. They worry about their jobs. Remote learning is a nightmare, and grocery shopping is no walk in the park. Not to mention the elections. And now, here come the holidays. The result is that some people are dealing with “********* Stomach,” acid-churning episodes that are increasing demand for over-the-counter and prescription antacids.
Part of the reason for Pepcid shortage was the earlier rumbling that it could be used to treat C*V*D. The manufacturer of Pepcid has posted these warnings:

Jenny

From the Bloc
I placed an order with The Spice House yesterday, and today got a note that they are out of cinnamon sticks, must be a seasonal thing.

For paper products, we've had good luck with Costco. They have the most bizarre delivery system - everything comes separately, even when I buy two of one item, and I get multiple emails that one item has shipped, but no notifications of others shipping. It eventually all arrives though and there's no charge for shipping anyway.

Erin

On the Pepcid shortage, I think the other reason for it is that Zantac was taken off the market by the FDA in either March or April (for reasons unrelated to cv). So now Pepcid has to fill all the demand that would normally be split between Pepcid and Zantac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information