Shortages Real and Feared

gkelly

When my brother was an infant/toddler he could do that. I remember once he was eating chicken soup -- swallowed the broth and the vegetables and spit out the chunks of chicken.

hanca

Values her privacy
I don't like turkey at all -- on Thanksgiving I generally eat a drumstick :) mostly because it has the most crispy skin.

Next week will be just my husband and me, and we're planning to make an assortment of side dishes and a cheese plate. Stuffing, cranberry sauce (for him), baked cinnamon apples, sweet potatoes, maybe some asparagus.
UK’s Christmas meal is turkey, my birth country’s Christmas meal is carp. I don’t dislike turkey, but I do find it boring and bland. I do hate carp with passion. So we replaced both meals with duck and with lamb. Not very traditional, but at least we enjoy it more.

Japanfan

Mine is based on my departed beloved grandmother's recipe, which was celery and onion softened in a ton of butter then mixed into oven-toasted white bread cubes, then a few eggs beaten with sage, salt and pepper mixed in.
You are not the only person to mention using eggs in stuffing.

It has never occurred to me to use eggs in a stuffing - especially since mine has sausage and chestnut, to go with a heavy turkey/protein meal.

What exactly do the eggs add to the stuffing?

Japanfan

Moisture, and I would assume coagulating properties to help the stuffing have a custardy mouthfeel.

I’ll have to check, but I think my traditional bread stuffing recipe includes eggs.

My egg-less stuffing is always moist - I use chicken stock as needed, and the sausages and cornbread I use are always moist.

And I don't know why anyone would want a custardy mouthfeel with with stuffing. It's a savory stuffing, not a custard. I don't see any relationship between the two dishes. It doesn't make sense - like putting a sweetener on a steak to give it sweet mouthfeel makes no sense.

clairecloutier

Well, first of all, there is such a thing as savory custards, so it's not like custards are exclusively sweet. Secondly, what I mean by custardy mouthfeel is that sort of moist clingy feel that you get with, say, the inside of French toast, which is obviously bready, but also somewhat custardy. When you think about it, traditional bread stuffing is basically a lot like bread pudding, except one is sweet and one is savory. Bread pudding usually includes a couple eggs, so it doesn't seem so odd that bread stuffing might either.

once_upon

Voter
It seems when people couldn't get smaller turkeys, or turkey breasts, they went to roasting chickens. I had ordered a roasting chicken but got a fryer chicken.

I researched the difference, it seems the only difference is the poundage and age. Roasting chickens usually 4-6 pounds, Fryer chickens 3-4. Guess I got the right size.

I also got a boneless turkey breast - just not my preferred brand, but we will have turkey and left overs for Thanksgiving.

I guess I should think about if I want ham or prime rib for Christmas. We may just have things like cheese/sausage/crackers, spinach artichoke dip/bread or chips and similar stuff for New Years.

Lizziebeth

I found some fresh bone in turkey breast and bought the smallest one they had. Just checked and it weighs 4 lbs. This is good because we will not have to eat turkey for a week. I hope it's good.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
I found some fresh bone in turkey breast and bought the smallest one they had. Just checked and it weighs 4 lbs. This is good because we will not have to eat turkey for a week. I hope it's good.
The butcher advised us to get a whole breast of about 8 lbs and freeze half. Given the convolutions he’s gone through to get breast, small turkeys and duck, he’s concerned that there may be fewer choices at Christmas.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I picked up an order from Walmart today. I had to wait almost 20 minutes because they were so busy. The guy who brought the order out to the car said it was lucky I'd ordered toilet paper and paper towels early because the shelf stocks were gone. Today gone. I got everything on my order, but glad I did it today and not later in the week.

once_upon

Voter
The butcher advised us to get a whole breast of about 8 lbs and freeze half. Given the convolutions he’s gone through to get breast, small turkeys and duck, he’s concerned that there may be fewer choices at Christmas.
I just looked at our butcher's web page. It looks like they still have ham, prime rib and limited turkey. I guess I need to figure out if we can Tertris the freezer to purchase some soon.

Last edited:

Jenny

From the Bloc
Moisture, and I would assume coagulating properties to help the stuffing have a custardy mouthfeel.
Bingo. And it's not like a dessert custard at all, it's more like the interior of french toast or a Yorkshire pudding, only there's not a centre to this thing. It's 1-2 eggs for an entire loaf of bread.

Plus I learned to make it from my beloved grandmother who passed away some years ago, so you're not allowed to question it :)

Susan1

I remember a For Better or Worse comic once years ago, where Farley the dog was eating the family’s leftovers, and was spitting the peas out. After he was done, his bowl was empty and the peas were scattered on the floor around the bowl.
My cousin Lynn had to take her dog to the vet this morning (and wait in the car!), and one thought led to another (I took Sadie with me to the printer to get our skating dress company brochures the day after Thanksgiving because I was getting her nails cut at the vet after I got back from the rink and the printer was closing early and they said to bring her with me!) - https://fborfw.com/strip_fix/strips/15/fb151004.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information