Shortages Real and Feared

flyingsit

I don't like turkey at all -- on Thanksgiving I generally eat a drumstick :) mostly because it has the most crispy skin.

Next week will be just my husband and me, and we're planning to make an assortment of side dishes and a cheese plate. Stuffing, cranberry sauce (for him), baked cinnamon apples, sweet potatoes, maybe some asparagus.

Spikefan

If it were just me I would only make sweet potatoes, homemade yeast rolls and mushroom stuffing. Alas, my spouse does not see that as a proper Thanksgiving meal.

annie720

I don't like turkey at all -- on Thanksgiving I generally eat a drumstick :) mostly because it has the most crispy skin.

Next week will be just my husband and me, and we're planning to make an assortment of side dishes and a cheese plate. Stuffing, cranberry sauce (for him), baked cinnamon apples, sweet potatoes, maybe some asparagus.
That sounds super to me! Turkey is the first thing I would give up. It's also just the two of us and hubby might be roasting a chicken instead. Or if we end up not being able to find anything, meatless will be fine. Just give me my stuffing and pecan pie.

once_upon

My grocery online order site within the last hour posted that they are limiting toilet paper and paper towels to one package per customer and that customers do the allow substitution as there maybe shortages of desired items.

Here we go again

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
We ordered a fresh, 8 lb turkey breast. Fingers crossed that it’ll be waiting for me on the 22nd. I’ll split it and freeze half for Christmas.

MacMadame

Staying at home
I am quite sure we paid over $40.00 for our 12-14 pound non-organic turkey.

Probably food prices are cheaper in DC than here. I usually expect a turkey to cost $40. to $50.
You are comparing Canadian dollars to US dollars. A $40CAD turkey would only be about $30 in US dollars.

We almost always have a roast chicken for Thanksgiving, with traditional stuffing/dressing on the side, pan gravy, potatoes, veggies, maybe some lingonberry jam if I haven't included dried cranberries in one of the veg dishes, and sometimes just because, buttermilk biscuits :)
We will have a roast. Mr. Mac never makes the stuffing in the bird anyway so everything else will be the same.

sk8pics

Last year my friend had a pot luck Thanksgiving dinner. We didn’t have turkey. This year I think we’re having ham and various things. I’m making lemon cranberry bars for dessert.

VALuvsMKwan

Wandering Goy
I would much prefer Virginia country ham instead of turkey if I were forced to choose (or even if not forced), particularly with hot yeast rolls.

Susan1

My husband makes Stove Top stuffing. :lol:
I fix a bowl of that for myself for lunch, not on Thanksgiving. I don't cook. My mom never fixed a turkey in her life. My dad didn't like it. When we went out on Thanksgiving, it had to be to a smorgasbord so he could get ham. The only time he ever, ever ate turkey was when we had Thanksgiving dinner at my aunt's house. And he liked hers. I have to have it smothered in gravy or it's too dry to me.

Parsley Sage

This is the recipe I use. I leave out the celery though and I probably use more sage.

Japanfan

I usually make a non-traditional stuffing with cornbread, sausage, apples, and chestnut. It's so yum!

This year I just wasn't in the mood to make the cornbread, and I haven't found a store brought brand that is anywhere near as good. I did make stuffing for (Canadian) Thanksgiving, but don't remember exactly what I put into it. Mr. Japanfan must have stuffing, whereas I could live without it.

Susan1

This is the recipe I use. I leave out the celery though and I probably use more sage.

Celery - I used to let my dog eat the last of the chicken salad out of the container (Kroger deli) and she would spit the celery back out.

Jenny

From the Bloc
My husband makes Stove Top stuffing. :lol:
I'd prefer that to what my inlaws do! Here's their "recipe": stuffing-ready bread cubed up (used to be white bread and VERY old powdered stuffing until they found that little miracle), and raw onions. That's it. Not even any salt and pepper.

Mine is based on my departed beloved grandmother's recipe, which was celery and onion softened in a ton of butter then mixed into oven-toasted white bread cubes, then a few eggs beaten with sage, salt and pepper mixed in. I've added fennel to the celery/onion mix, more pepper than she did, fresh sage that we grow in our garden for this purpose alone (it's completely different than dried sage - try it!), and fresh Italian parsley. Since I don't put it in a bird, I moisten it part way through baking with chicken stock.

Celery - I used to let my dog eat the last of the chicken salad out of the container (Kroger deli) and she would spit the celery back out.
Our cat will simply not abide peas. :drama:

once_upon

My sister in law does some type of dressing with giblets. They all love, I had never eaten hers until last years. I took one bite and wanted to spit it out. I did swallow it, but it was so bad.

Susan1

I remember a For Better or Worse comic once years ago, where Farley the dog was eating the family’s leftovers, and was spitting the peas out. After he was done, his bowl was empty and the peas were scattered on the floor around the bowl.
Yeah, dogs snorf things up without even tasting them but they can pick out stuff they don't like at the same time? Sadie left a little white pill in the bottom of the licked clean bowl of cottage cheese I hid it in. It was regular cheese slices after that. The pill sticks to the cheese.

KCC

My dog loves sugar snap peas - eats them like treats. As for grocery shortages, here we are still very low on rice & soy sauce. Canned tomatoes seemed to be back on the shelves.

Japanfan

Yeah, but they can spit small things out of a mouthful before it goes down.

Yes. When we have to pill Bandit, Mr. Japanfan usually holds him tight, opens his mouth and tosses the pill right into the end of the mouth/start of the throat. I'm not strong enough to manage that myself.

Also, the last prescription we for got for him was a chewable one - great idea, not problem getting him to chew it up.

Susan1

Yes. When we have to pill Bandit, Mr. Japanfan usually holds him tight, opens his mouth and tosses the pill right into the end of the mouth/start of the throat. I'm not strong enough to manage that myself.

Also, the last prescription we for got for him was a chewable one - great idea, not problem getting him to chew it up.
I was originally talking about spitting pieces of celery out of what was left in the bottom of the chicken salad. She'd lap that up without breathing, then spit out the little pieces of celery. It's not like they were too big to swallow. She gulped down bigger things than that. The monthly heartworm pills were spongy chewable things and she swallowed those whole. BUT - she used to sit down at her bowl and chew mouthfuls of dry food. Such a little lady.

When she had Cushings and had trouble eating, we used to sit and feed her one piece at a time. Or toss it across the floor so she thought eating was fun. (With everything else going on, talking about this is making me cry.) When she was feeling better, she used to pick out one piece and carry it into the living room and toss it in the air and go get it and eat it. I swear! I found them between the couch cushions and in the Christmas tree. Sigh.

Japanfan

I was originally talking about spitting pieces of celery out of what was left in the bottom of the chicken salad.

My Bandit is not such a discerning diner. He's eat pretty much anything with great vigor, including all vegetables. Although he is certainly averse to hot peppers.

Susan1

My Bandit is not such a discerning diner. He's eat pretty much anything with great vigor, including all vegetables. Although he is certainly averse to hot peppers.
Way OT here, I just turned on the t.v. and there was a heartworm commercial on. Anyway, it was the Lysodren that made her so weak. $75/month from the actual pharmacist. I wasn't allowed to touch them. I had to tip one out on a paper towel, then pick it up with the cheese. And wash my hands afterward. We went to an internist and he diagnosed thyroid disease (and a slight heart murmur, which both my mom and I had, so it was hereditary for my puppy daughter- ha ha). Once she started on the thyroid medicine (from our regular vet), she was like a brand new dog for her last couple years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information