Shortages Real and Feared

Susan1

Ok, so my husband just came home and is taking about a trucker strike protesting the election? Has anyone heard about that? He says tomorrow is a trial run and late this month they will have a mass strike and shut down supply chains. I don’t trust his sources, so I thought I would ask here. He plans on stockpiling food (we have a pretty full freezer) and will not worry about me because he was telling me this just as we all got home (him from work, me and the kids from dance class) and I wasn't giving him my full attention (my son was telling me about geese on tv).
Wouldn't that hurt trumpers too?

Susan1

Apparently not. They’ll just stockpile. And apparently, I need to give my husband my full attention, even when kids are trying to get mine.
That would be tomorrow -

https://www.thetrucker.com/trucking...-truckers-group-calls-for-veterans-day-strike

So things should already be in the stores tomorrow? It doesn't say how long they will strike. Weren't they all lauded months ago for making sure things got to stores and for risking their lives and health to deliver. I wonder if they'll be wearing masks.

meggonzo

Anyone have a clue why large, cheap, plastic storage bins seem to have disappeared? I know the Container Store still has them, but theirs are pricier than my budget.
I saw a ton in the Christmas section at Target.

KCC

Today's Costco trip: very low on tp and paper towels and no lotion end facial tissues; lots of Q-tips; I think there was a big price jump for dental floss(?); plenty of meats/veggies/ canned and boxed goods, etc.; a box of 50 black disposable face masks was only $10. The store was full and customers were already buying a ton of Christmas decorations & gifts. Most, but not all were wearing masks - this is Idaho, so par for the course.

attyfan

That would be tomorrow -

https://www.thetrucker.com/trucking...-truckers-group-calls-for-veterans-day-strike

So things should already be in the stores tomorrow? It doesn't say how long they will strike. Weren't they all lauded months ago for making sure things got to stores and for risking their lives and health to deliver. I wonder if they'll be wearing masks.

This strike was supposed to be yesterday. Has anyone heard anything about it? I haven't.

once_upon

This strike was supposed to be yesterday. Has anyone heard anything about it? I haven't.
I searched for anything, only found references that it was going to happen. It seems like it was "organized" by a newly formed political faction and not the truckers organization?

But what I read was not real clear

Susan1

I "googled" it. Still the same articles that it is planned. They haven't had half gallon 2% milk the last two times I've been to Kroger, but that couldn't be because of the strike. They are replenishing the whole milk, because Saturday had dates of 11/20 and yesterday they were 11/27s.

Susan1

Well, the people in my city group were right. No paper goods at our Kroger. I don't know why they insist on buying everything at the grocery store. People did mention going to Meijer and Walmart for those things, but those also have groceries. They will probably be out too. Kroger did have half gallon 2% milk finally. I just got one. I already had 1-1/2 whole milks. Anyway, Walgreen's and CVS are practically within rock throwing distance. I had to get calcium, so I went to CVS. I had a $5 off their vitamins and a $1 off from the other day. They had a whole aisle of paper towels and toilet paper, which I don't need. A whole endcap of sanitizers, another one of masks and another one of various wipes - not Clorox or Lysol though. No footie socks yet. But I just got a 30% off entire purchase in the mail. I'm saving that for regular vitamins and footie socks.

I don't need any paper goods. I have 9 rolls of toilet paper, 4 boxes of CVS tissues, 2 rolls of good paper towels and 1 roll of the ones that you can't get wet, 2 different 2/3 full hand sanitizers (one is thicker and one is alcohol-y-er) and three different partially full containers of wipes. I take one with me in a Baggie, then end up using the ones in the store anyway, and their hand sanitizer. Funny, of the hand sanitizers at the cash registers, CVS's is alcohol-y-er and Walgreen's is thicker, and the library's is foamy. What a world.

annie720

We went back to curbside pickup at our local Kroger owned grocery store yesterday. We got everything on the list, including Bounty tear-off paper towels, flour, yeast, pasta, ground beef, frozen peas and corn, hand soap, bathroom cleaner. 👍

Debbie S

Still no bathroom cleaner anywhere. Except for Clorox which has bleach...maybe that's what people want but I stay away from anything that can ruin clothes. I did find (isopropyl) alcohol wipes at Target this morning. They had a lot, must have just stocked the shelves.

ETA: LOL at @annie720 's and my contradictory posts. Annie, it sounds like you are in the Midwest?

annie720

Still no bathroom cleaner anywhere. Except for Clorox which has bleach...maybe that's what people want but I stay away from anything that can ruin clothes. I did find (isopropyl) alcohol wipes at Target this morning. They had a lot, must have just stocked the shelves.

ETA: LOL at @annie720 's and my contradictory posts. Annie, it sounds like you are in the Midwest?
I'm in suburban Denver. :) and I also stay away from bathroom cleaner with bleach. I normally use Lysol spray, Scrub Free, and some kind of liquid. For the liquid I usually just grab whatever is available, whether it's Lysol, Mr Clean, or Pine Sol. I accepted substitutions on this order but I got the Lysol.

spinZZ

Looked at my local supermarket ad. Surprisingly, some items are in good supply. 50% off on select hand sanitizers, and $1 off select packs of face masks.

Japanfan

I ordered a 10 pounder from Whole Foods - organic and more than $40. :rolleyes: But at least I know it will be there next week.

I am quite sure we paid over $40.00 for our 12-14 pound non-organic turkey.

Probably food prices are cheaper in DC than here. I usually expect a turkey to cost $40. to $50.

quartz

almost, but not quite
My son works at a manufacturing facility that is just up the road from a big local turkey farm. Every Christmas, each employee gets a turkey, generally around 18-20 pounds, so we haven’t had to buy one for the past few years.
This Christmas it will only be me, husband and our two kids. I think we might do ham and scalloped potatoes for Christmas dinner and put the turkey in the freezer for a time when we might be able to have more people over.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Cheeses are an issue for me. Just got gruyere on the third try, but still can't get a block of parmesan in any size. Must be import issues.

Spikefan

Costco had a lot of turkey breast roasts in the freezer section. I bought a 4.75 lb. roast for $15.79.

once_upon

I dont have a Costco membership. Im going to try to get a small ham this week. I may substitute a roasting chicken or a couple of Rock Cornish hens.

Jenny

From the Bloc
We almost always have a roast chicken for Thanksgiving, with traditional stuffing/dressing on the side, pan gravy, potatoes, veggies, maybe some lingonberry jam if I haven't included dried cranberries in one of the veg dishes, and sometimes just because, buttermilk biscuits :)

Habs

We almost always have a roast chicken for Thanksgiving, with traditional stuffing/dressing on the side, pan gravy, potatoes, veggies, maybe some lingonberry jam if I haven't included dried cranberries in one of the veg dishes, and sometimes just because, buttermilk biscuits :)
That's my ideal Thanksgiving/Christmas dinner!

PRlady

I'm stubborn about turkey. But if the backyard T'giving doesn't take place I'll substitute a duck. Mmmmmm, love duck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information