Scotland Becomes First Country to Make Menstrual Products Free

jenny12

All the credit to Scotland for this! So wonderful as there are so many that experience period poverty. I hope more countries follow suit.

caseyedwards

Of course it’s not really free. Peoples tax money will of course he used for the government of Scotland to buy the products and then send them to all the places.

taz'smum

as @Jesche says - мама knows best
All the credit to Scotland for this! So wonderful as there are so many that experience period poverty. I hope more countries follow suit.

How awesome is that?:love:

Susan1

Ohio in April (whoopee) -
"As of Wednesday, women in Ohio no longer have to pay sales tax on tampons and other feminine hygiene products.
The so-called “Pink Tax” was considered discriminatory against women as many hygiene products used by men are not taxed."

quartz

almost, but not quite
I once tried to add up how much I spent over the 42 years I used these products, and it was a very large sad number, something like $5-6000.
I can go on a very nice trip to Scotland for that kind of money!

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
The GST was finally removed only a couple of years ago here in Australia on sanitary products. It was a big debating point when the GST came in. Took 18 years to get rid of it.

jenny12

I remember the days when women had to PAY to use a bathroom stall in a public restroom. I climbed over those tall, steel, stall doors or, if there was room, slid under them.

Of course, the men never, ever were charged to use a toilet.

Just outrageous. The cost of being a woman is beyond comprehension sometimes in more ways than one.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
I remember the days when women had to PAY to use a bathroom stall in a public restroom. I climbed over those tall, steel, stall doors or, if there was room, slid under them.

I am sorry, this is not true at least in the East Coast from the 60s to the 80s. Spousal unit remembers that men had to pay for stalls in the public men's room during those years. In Connecticut, Rhode Island, DC suburbs and Pennsylvania, maybe that was different from other places🤷‍♀️

The difference being, men did NOT have to pay for urinals;)

ETA: And good for Scotland:cheer2:

Last edited:

Susan1

I am sorry, this is not true at least in the East Coast from the 60s to the 80s. Spousal unit remembers that men had to pay for stalls in the public men's room during those years. In Connecticut, Rhode Island, DC suburbs and Pennsylvania, maybe that was different from other places🤷‍♀️

The difference being, men did NOT have to pay for urinals;)

ETA: And good for Scotland:cheer2:
I kinda remember on old (not 80s) t.v. shows, seeing boys and men crawling under in an emergency. Don't know when or where.

Louis

Private citizen
Most public toilets are still pay outside the U.S. (or possibly North America - not sure if Canada's public toilets are free). Of course, this applies to both women and men. Though some countries - e.g., the Netherlands, and even in parts of London - have free urinals on the street for men* in locations where there are a lot of bars.

And good for Scotland.

*I guess if I really want to be PC, I need to say people who urinate standing up? ;)

MacMadame

Staying at home

Every place I've ever been that charged to use restrooms charged for all restrooms both men's and women's.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Most public toilets are still pay outside the U.S. (or possibly North America - not sure if Canada's public toilets are free). Of course, this applies to both women and men. Though some countries - e.g., the Netherlands, and even in parts of London - have free urinals on the street for men* in locations where there are a lot of bars.

And good for Scotland.

*I guess if I really want to be PC, I need to say people who urinate standing up? ;)
I have seen exactly one pay public toilet in all my life, and it was in the Sydney CBD, and no longer exists.

Good on Scotland!

For those who are outside Scotland, Period Undies are the new Thing! Lots of brands are making them now. Washable and thus reusable so environmentally friendly, and cost-saving. I don't use them (my favourite side-effect from the shot!) but lots of people I know love them.

Japanfan

Most public toilets are still pay outside the U.S. (or possibly North America - not sure if Canada's public toilets are free).

I've never seen a public pay toilet in Canada - doesn't mean they don't exist, of course.

hanca

Values her privacy
People with penises. Because I can urinate standing up if I want to but no way I could use a urinal since there is no way to aim anywhere but down.
Doesn’t have to be people with penises. You could say people who manage to aim forward rather than downwards. If you really, really tried hard, maybe there is a way you could manage to aim? Have you thought about trying to lift one leg? Or if someone lifted you and held you under your knees... (Kamasutra inspired use of urinals... one needs to be a gymnast or acrobat though.)

Cachoo

Doesn’t have to be people with penises. You could say people who manage to aim forward rather than downwards. If you really, really tried hard, maybe there is a way you could manage to aim? Have you thought about trying to lift one leg? Or if someone lifted you and held you under your knees... (Kamasutra inspired use of urinals... one needs to be a gymnast or acrobat though.)
Hanca your post made me giggle just trying to imagine myself trying to do this. There’s some saying about women being unable to “write” their name in the snow but maybe if they take aim?

MacMadame

Staying at home
Sorry, the physics just isn't there. 🤷‍♀️

hanca

Values her privacy
Sorry, the physics just isn't there. 🤷‍♀️
There definitely is. If you lift both your legs and put your thighs on your stomach, your private parts are aiming forward and that’s where the aim will be. Like squat position in the air. When you pee in squat, you pee forward, not downwards. Though someone would have to hold you in the air.

Last edited:

Susan1

There definitely is. If you lift both your legs and put your things on your stomach, your private parts are aiming forward and that’s where the aim will be. Like squat position in the air. When you pee in squat, you pee forward, not downwards. Though someone would have to hold you in the air.
Put your "things" on your stomach? Girls don't have "things". ha ha ha I think you meant thighs? Why I am reading and replying to these comments!? Funny.

hanca

Values her privacy
Put your "things" on your stomach? Girls don't have "things". ha ha ha I think you meant thighs? Why I am reading and replying to these comments!? Funny.
Ups, typo. Thighs
I corrected it so that I don’t confuse people even more.

antmanb

And good for Scotland.

Or anyone who owns a she wee.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
About 20 or 30 years ago, National Geographic ran an article about an Amish community in the Northern Midwest. One photo was of a pissing contest, and one of the contestants was a girl maybe 8 years old. She leaned backward and shot as far forward as the boys her age. Who knew!

MacMadame

Staying at home
There definitely is. If you lift both your legs and put your thighs on your stomach, your private parts are aiming forward and that’s where the aim will be. Like squat position in the air. When you pee in squat, you pee forward, not downwards. Though someone would have to hold you in the air.
Yeah. But no. If you can't pee standing up, you can't reach the urinal. And being held up in the air doesn't count assuming you could even find people to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information