1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Russia

Discussion in 'Politically Incorrect' started by clairecloutier, Dec 6, 2014.

1. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I think many people from Eastern european countries do have prejudices against Russian people living in their country. It would be hard not to, considering that it is relatively not that long ago when Russia was occupying their country, Russian language was compulsory language at school, Russian literature, films etc too. It may be unfair, but unless one lives in a country that is occupied, I don't think one can fully understand what the life was like. I hope the generation of people who were growing up after the Soviet army moved out will see things differently, but many older people are not even hiding their opinions.

2. Miezekatze

Miezekatze Well-Known Member

Yes, I understand that, what I wanted to say is that the way Putin tries to influence people by providing "news" and TV stations that spread his "point of view" (at best, propaganda at worste) and probably encouraging Russians to use those media as primary news make those prejudices worse (for both "sides"), since it leads to encouraging a "us vs. them" feeling.

For example in Germany you can also see this kind of effect when it comes to Russian Germans (ethnic Germans living in Russia, who have been re-migrated to Germany in large numbers when Helmut Kohl made it lawfully possible for them) and it's also used by the right wing populist party. The right wing populists always claim that Russian Germans are a positive example of immigration and that those are exceptionally well integrated, because they share the same "values" as Germans (as opposed to other immigrants that the party opposes). Oddly and ironically they always adjust their election campaigning to Russian Germans by producing their election campaign material in Russian (which sort of makes their point really ridiculous since surely there would not be a need for election campaign material in Russian language, because all those well integrated Russian Germans surely speak German well, when they are so exceptionally well integrated and most of them immigrated decades ago ;) ).
    This leads to the effect that some liberal people either get brand new prejudices against Russian Germans or old ones that existed when those first immigrated to Germany get re-vitalized, because some people start thinking that all Russian Germans are neonazis/alt-righters/homophobic/love Putin/only consume Russian media. And of course there might be some point that some/many Russian Germans in Germany are rather a bit more conservative than other groups of people, but of course if one generalizes that it becomes unfair and in reality they are a diverse group of individuals who have their own opinions (and as any other "minority" group they don't deserve to be misused by any political party for their own political agenda). That sort of narrative just riles people up against each other.

clairecloutier and DORISPULASKI like this.
  3. babayaga

babayaga Well-Known Member

4. DELTA

DELTA Active Member

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  5. allezfred

allezfred Hissy Fitting With American Shot Putters Staff Member

For anyone who doesn't want to click on dodgy looking links, rbth stands for Russia Beyond The Headlines. It's a Russian government mouthpiece.

clairecloutier and IceAlisa like this.
  6. IceAlisa

IceAlisa discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado

I am convinced that DELTA is a government paid troll. Как погода в Ольгино?

babayaga and allezfred like this.
  7. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

I was totally going to ask Delta that earlier in the week.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    IceAlisa likes this.
  8. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

9. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

10. DELTA

DELTA Active Member

I am currently a US citizen. Went to TFF today. The weather is somewhat chilly in NYC.

11. DELTA

DELTA Active Member

When I copy/paste it comes out as bold caps.

12. IceAlisa

Oh so you are volunteering? Do you drive a Lada, just curious?

Vagabond likes this.
  13. DELTA

DELTA Active Member

You know that there are no Ladas in US.

14. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Considering that DELTA once claimed to a Ukrainian, I would say that the chances of that he or she is anything other than a Russian government paid troll are vanishingly small.

IceAlisa likes this.
  15. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Well delta never denied it.

clairecloutier likes this.
  16. IceAlisa

You could import one if you had work done on it to meet the US regs. After all, Lada is so fabulous, totally worth it, no? Tesla is getting nervous. :shuffle:

17. Tinami Amori

Take the saved section to word-editor, changed it to normal font and size, and then post, it works better than changing it in the topic.

Actually....... there are! Some were used in Cuba (Lada's Jeep - Niva), ended up in Jamaica, and few were brought to USA.....

Also, Lada-Niva were big "foreign import" to Canada in the 1980's, and some ended up in USA.
    http://autoweek.com/article/classic-cars/8-imports-canada-got-america-did-not
    Lada Niva
    Canada received the Niva in the 1980s as demand appeared for cheap 4x4s. Known as the VAZ 2121 Niva in its home country, this small 4x4 offered the dimensions and the interior of a passenger car along with relatively simple maintenance and good off-roadability. The Niva debuted in Canada at about the same time as Japanese 4x4s like the Suzuki Samurai, but the Niva was pretty much a compact hatch, making its value proposition similar to AMC's last vehicles.
    Nivas in Canada were even offered in pickup form, something that was not available back in the USSR, but horsepower (72 hp) and highway performance were not its strengths.

Also, passenger 4 door Ladas are sold all over Germany, and some immigrants from Russia living in USA buy them as collector items..
    https://www.classic-trader.com/us/cars/search/lada

There is a whole discussion board in North Am/USA "where to get Lada and parts"...... :D
    http://www.ladausa.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

Also popular are "Volga - 1961, with a "deer" on the hood"

18. IceAlisa

There you go, get yourself one pronto! :D

19. allezfred

allezfred Hissy Fitting With American Shot Putters Staff Member

I don't think I've seen a Lada since the 1980s. We used to have Lada jokes. :lol:

20. Miezekatze

Miezekatze Well-Known Member

Lada still exists? :lol:
    I guess we had the same Lada jokes as the Irish here in Germany :p

Ahem, you realize that the absolute number of Ladas sold in Europe is given as 1,142 cars.

That seems a bit desperate even for a propaganda article, even if one has to be fair and the article points this out itself in the second half.

allezfred likes this.
  21. Nomad

Nomad Celebrity cheese-monger

That does seem to be pretty harsh. Almost all the JW's I've encountered have been mild-mannered middle-aged/elderly ladies.

22. DELTA

DELTA Active Member

Alleged Russian trolls don't live in US. Here's a picture of a movie I went to yesterday.

https://ibb.co/m8vu6Q

23. DELTA

DELTA Active Member

Any objections to
    babayaga who did the same thing a post above me?

24. DELTA

DELTA Active Member

25. Tinami Amori

Sorry! you are right! Yes, same objections! both posts go one after another, and i did not note there are 2 different people posting.
    Russian Economy is a serious issue, in a hostile environment presentation counts. нужно делать так, что-бы "комар носа не подточил" - не предрался.

26. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

I was trying to figure out what TFF was :lol: I would not have gotten that...

I must say that the phrase "they are everywhere" doesn't even do justice to the idea that Russia is paying trolls to spend time on some pointless section of a figure skating forum that is only frequented by the same 30 people who all know each others opinions by heart after 2 days. :shuffle:

allezfred likes this.
  27. IceAlisa

28. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

29. DELTA

DELTA Active Member

You're obsessed with Russian trolls. BTW how do you define 'trolling'?

30. DELTA

DELTA Active Member