Russia

PRlady

Plus China is one fifth of the world's population. Because of their sheer scale, it's impossible to put pressure on them. Rather one wonders what's stopping them from being more influential on the world political stage. Probably they think the subtler touch works better for them rather than the elephant in the china shop approach the USA chooses.
They have some innate drawbacks. Their language (s) are really hard to master and are nowhere near as commonly spoken as English. Their Belt and Road program in developing countries looks less and less beneficial to the countries themselves. And in an interconnected world, the tight control in freedom and media is well-known and although some political leaders wish they could emulate it, it doesn’t transfer well.

sk9tingfan

Gifted article, link valid for two weeks.

I encourage everyone to read the entire article. 🇰🇬
Updated Behring Strait/Alaska story:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Oh, I realize this. However, I stated "we aren't beholden to them for oil." But, being beholden to China in the way that we are certainly isn't any better and it's been a concern of mine for many years.
Personally, I find these things scarier than being dependent on oil. Them owning so much of our debt is a particular concern.

Dobre

I don't think it's been mentioned in PI, but the Nord Stream 1 and 2 pipelines in the Baltic were sabotaged recently, resulting in leaks off the coast of Denmark and Sweden and resulting in shutdowns.
I recommended the use of an off switch to Putin in the climate thread.

This update from Sweden came out today:

text_skate

16 years ago Anna Politkovskaya was murdered on her doorstep as a birthday present for Putin. Her book Putin's Russia from 2004 is still a good read.

Anna_Politkovskaja_im_Gespr%C3%A4ch_mit_Christhard_L%C3%A4pple.jpg

clairecloutier

I think it's terrifying that this is propaganda and many will eat it up - but personally I just found the entire thing laughable.

Me too, honestly. Just the absurdity of it.

Where does this video come from? The Russian government??

ETA: At least some Russians in & out of the country have a more questioning viewpoint:

Last edited:

PRlady

Me too, honestly. Just the absurdity of it.

Where does this video come from? The Russian government??

ETA: At least some Russians in & out of the country have a more questioning viewpoint:

As someone posted on Twitter, that video could have come from Breitbart.

Dobre

caseyedwards

In the 90s United States kept almost all sanctions on Russia that It had on the Soviet Union. And that meant Russia sold lots of stuff to Iran to try to make money as it was shut out of lots of western markets. That would cause more sanctions and more Iran Russia trade. So it’s interesting to read about Iran arms being used by Russia today. What if Russia was not under Brutal crippling severe economic sanctions AFTER communism fell.

Vagabond

No Country for Young Men

(Gifted article, link valid for a fortnight.)

In short, the war is hitting home in Moscow and St. Petersburg, where many young men have either fled the country or gone to war.

This bit stood out:

At least 200,000 men went to neighboring Kazakhstan, which Russians can enter without a passport, according to the authorities there. Tens of thousands of others have fled to Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Israel, Argentina and Western Europe.

caseyedwards

United States Relations with Russia: After the Cold War​

This list of stuff is so infuriating! China was treated so lovingly! And Russia had to deal with all this! It’s so crazy. So China has huge massacre in 1989 and everyone in DC goes nuts with LOVE for China. Russians overthrow communism and have brutal standards of behavior to get to normal trade and relations

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information