Russia

Husky

Now that the tide is turning in Ukraine and the Ukrainian army gains back lost territory, I was curious how Russia Today comments on the recent situation.

One article looked promising: "Dmitry Trenin: Six months into the conflict, what exactly does Russia hope to achieve in Ukraine? - Putin’s latest comments reveal that Moscow’s thinking has shifted and compromise is no longer on the agenda"

But it turned into something rather weird: No comment on the current situation, instead a bizarre idea: "some in Moscow would not mind if Poland were to absorb western Ukraine within some form of a common political entity which, Russia’s foreign intelligence claims, is being surreptitiously created." Now, why should Poland do this? "Absorbing" a country is not in line with the EU. This is the Russian way to make policy. Do they really believe this kind of crap?

The ending is cryptic: "Fighting there will continue for some time, and the final outcome is not in sight. Even when the active phase of the conflict comes to an end, it is unlikely to be followed up by a peace settlement. For different reasons, each side regards the conflict as existential – and much wider than Ukraine." So, no peace treaty no matter what?

caseyedwards

Now that the tide is turning in Ukraine and the Ukrainian army gains back lost territory, I was curious how Russia Today comments on the recent situation.

One article looked promising: "Dmitry Trenin: Six months into the conflict, what exactly does Russia hope to achieve in Ukraine? - Putin’s latest comments reveal that Moscow’s thinking has shifted and compromise is no longer on the agenda"

But it turned into something rather weird: No comment on the current situation, instead a bizarre idea: "some in Moscow would not mind if Poland were to absorb western Ukraine within some form of a common political entity which, Russia’s foreign intelligence claims, is being surreptitiously created." Now, why should Poland do this? "Absorbing" a country is not in line with the EU. This is the Russian way to make policy. Do they really believe this kind of crap?

The ending is cryptic: "Fighting there will continue for some time, and the final outcome is not in sight. Even when the active phase of the conflict comes to an end, it is unlikely to be followed up by a peace settlement. For different reasons, each side regards the conflict as existential – and much wider than Ukraine." So, no peace treaty no matter what?

Interesting piece! When they didn’t conquer all of Ukraine in a week they lost all their minds and have not come up with a new plan.

Dobre

Navalny, a jailed Putin critic, says Russia has revoked his attorney-client privilege.​

----

Direct link to one of Navalny's recent posts:

"They brought me out of my cell to the commission, where the administration solemnly announced: «It has been established that you continue your criminal activity, you are committing crimes directly from the prison facilities. And you communicate with your accomplices through lawyers. Therefore, we abolish the attorney-client privilege with regard to you. All incoming and outgoing lawyer documents will henceforth be subject to a three-day check».

To my surprised question: «May I ask what terrible extremist crimes I am committing?», they replied:
This is secret information, you are not allowed to know it, we will not give you the inspection materials. All you need to know is that the attorney-client privilege no longer applies to you».
Not only that, but they also nailed down the tiny slot in the lawyer's room for the transfer of documents. So me and the lawyers now communicate through double plastic glass with bars inside. Our communication is now more like a pantomime, to be honest. ow great.

Now, if the lawyer wants to consult with me on a draft of a complaint against the colony, he has to give it to the colony itself, it will reach me three days later, and then it will take three more days to get back to him with my revisions. Very convenient.

However, this leaves nothing of my right to a defense, which was already quite illusory. I do not know what has triggered the authorities so much: the 6,000 list, the Smart Voting, or the prisoners' union. All three of these things sound great to me."

Sylvia

Rooting for underdogs!
@Dobre, there's also a separate thread in PI on Navalny that was started in 2020 if you'd like to post any updates on him there: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/alexey-navalny.107690/

I appreciate your updates!

ETA:

text_skate

Extremley well written story, insightful, sad at times, weird, published by Meduza
Emily Laskin, who translated article into English:
I loved translating this fascinating, heartbreaking piece. It's about Tuvan conscripts dying in Russia's war in Ukraine, and the monks, shamans, and activists trying to protect them. Beautiful reporting by Vladimir Sevrinovsky, now in English on @meduza_en
every time I read or hear something about Tuva, I'm thinking of that great endearing BBC Horizon documentary about Richard Feynman and "The Quest for Tannu Tuva" (if you have some spare time I can recommend, link on youtube)

Last edited:

clairecloutier

I can't find a link now, but I'm pretty sure that some enemy of Putin's accidentally "fell out of a helicopter" a few years ago, so this would not be unprecedented ....

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Mean while in `we will only draft those who served previously and have a military profession' - on telegram one women tells how the army came to draft her brother. Thing is - her brother had a medical condition which prevented him from serving in the army at the first place, so he never served and never had a military profession. Another small detail - her brother died 2 years ago. Yep, they came to draft him

skatingguy

I can't find a link now, but I'm pretty sure that some enemy of Putin's accidentally "fell out of a helicopter" a few years ago, so this would not be unprecedented ....
Didn't fall out of the helicopter, but the helicopter fell out of the sky.

Cachoo

Mean while in `we will only draft those who served previously and have a military profession' - on telegram one women tells how the army came to draft her brother. Thing is - her brother had a medical condition which prevented him from serving in the army at the first place, so he never served and never had a military profession. Another small detail - her brother died 2 years ago. Yep, they came to draft him
Geez—seeing this, seeing Putin drag thousands more to the border has me convinced he has gone round the bend or, like Hitler, he doesn’t give a damn about his own troops—they are cannon fodder to him. No wonder they have conscription. These guys are going to die. Ukraine is tough and battle hardened. Putin needs to have an “accident” and the next guy up needs to end this and put the Russians back in Russia.

Sylvia

Rooting for underdogs!
July 27:

"Today my lawyers found out that on July 13, 2022, the Main Investigation Department of the Investigative Committee of Russia initiated another criminal case against me."
--Vladimir Kara-Murza

Clip of Evgenia Kara-Murza who "explains that [her husband] @vkaramurza returned to Russia because ❝he wanted to show that you should not be afraid because fear makes us silent. When you are silent in the face of something so monstrous, you are complicit.❞": https://twitter.com/NEDemocracy/status/1572673535486615553

Re-posting from the Navalny thread:

Released On: 12 Sep 2022 - BBC's Stephen Sackur spoke to Maria Pevchikh, "investigations chief for Alexei Navalny’s Anti-Corruption Foundation, which is now outlawed in Russia. With Vladimir Putin putting a tighter squeeze on Russian civil society and criticism of the war risking years in prison, where does Russia’s anti-Putin movement go from here?"

HARDtalk is also available on Apple Podcasts:

ChelleC

Anti-quad activist
It's being reported that Alexander Samarin has received a summons from the draft board, and he's not the only one to receive one.

I put this in here because I don't really consider it skating news, but if it needs to be moved to the appropriate thread then please do so.

Sokolovskaya is denying the report, so who knows.

Karen-W

It's being reported that Alexander Samarin has received a summons from the draft board, and he's not the only one to receive one.

I put this in here because I don't really consider it skating news, but if it needs to be moved to the appropriate thread then please do so.

Well, I'd say it could be also considered skating news if it means he isn't able to participate in the Russian Test Skates this weekend because he has to report for duty.

Vagabond

After businesses warn of repercussions, Russia says it will exempt some workers from the call-up.
A day after Russia began drafting civilians to bolster its forces in Ukraine, the Kremlin faced widespread objections to the extent of the call-up and found itself slightly narrowing the action’s reach.

Russian men with certain white-collar jobs in banking, I.T. and telecommunications will not be called up to join the war effort, the Russian Ministry of Defense said Friday, after companies complained that the draft announced by President Vladimir V. Putin could badly affect their ability to operate.
:rolleyes:

starrynight

This is why Hurtardo and Khaliavin got out early. They actually gave an interview where they said they didn’t want Khaliavin to get conscripted. At first I thought it was a bit dramatic but turns out they were right on the money. Skating for Spain and getting that citizenship was a pretty good move for Kirril it seems.

Karen-W

This is why Hurtardo and Khaliavin got out early. They actually gave an interview where they said they didn’t want Khaliavin to get conscripted. At first I thought it was a bit dramatic but turns out they were right on the money. Skating for Spain and getting that citizenship was a pretty good move for Kirril it seems.
Yup. At this point, if I was Daniil Parkman there is no way that I would be willing to go back to Russia for training after Nebelhorn - they're scheduled for Finlandia so it would make more sense to remain in Germany or go to Italy to train for the next 10 days. I hope the Georgian fed is making arrangements to keep them in western Europe and to also get Safina/Berulava out of Perm before their GPs. I'm worried about all of the skaters who are scheduled for the GP who are still in Russia - Shaidorov, Kvitelashvili, Egadze, Gubanova, Danilova/Tsiba (I think they're still spending some time training in Russia). The rest seem to have, wisely, relocated in the early spring.

starrynight

I could see Russia conscripting some relatively high profile people - but more like having a deal where if they make a show of going willingly as a patriot they will ensure the person doesn’t get put in harms way. Sort of to set an example to others.

millyskate

These are the Russian men who were exchanged with Ukraine. It's striking how absolutely petrified they are of returning to Russia. They look like they are being led to the slaughter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information