Russia

Dobre

Per the ISW Study of War site,

"Russian military leadership may be shifting to a new phase of mobilization after having exhausted recruitment efforts and sources of combat power on Russia’s geographic and socioeconomic periphery. Spokesperson for the Ukrainian Main Intelligence Directorate (GUR) Vadym Skibitsky stated on August 27 that the Moscow, Leningrad, and St. Petersburg areas are increasingly generating forces, whereas previously the onus for volunteer mobilization largely has fallen on more economically depressed and peripheral regions in eastern Russia. The GUR similarly reported that the Kremlin has effectively exhausted mobilization potential in Tuva, Buryatia, republics of the Caucasus, and other ethnic minority enclaves that ISW has previously assessed were bearing the brunt of mobilization efforts. The GUR noted that the Kremlin has directed the heads of Russian federal subjects (regions) in more western and well-off regions to lead regionally based recruitment campaigns and that the majority of recruits in Moscow Oblast are contracting into the 1st Guards Tank Army. As the onus of partial mobilization shifts to more economically advantaged, densely populated, and better-educated regions of Russia, domestic opposition to recruitment efforts will likely grow. Recruitment drives in western Russia remain unlikely to generate significant increases in combat capability."

Nadya

Nice piece by WSJ on "Shut Down by the Kremlin, Independent Russian Media Regroup Abroad" - News outlets forced to close since Russia invaded Ukraine are soldiering on in exile.

It's about TV Rain (which resumed operation this week), Mediazona, Novaya Gazeta Europe, iStories

They are not independent media and the hosting nation (Latvia) has made it quite clear what position they are expected to take as the condition of staying.

You may agree that this position is right and correct to take, and I personally think a hosting nation has every right to decide who they will welcome and who they won't. It is important to point out, though, that this has nothing to do with independent media. It just doesn't.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races

Karen-W

Just saying, but Tucker got quite irate when Matt Gaetz said he & a popsy of his had had dinner with Tuckums & his wife.

What's this got to do with Russia???????

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
It was asked what kompromat Putin might have on Carlson that he was so ridiculously pro Russian. This was a possible clue to the answer.

Or he could be on salary to Putin.

Or some other reason.

caseyedwards

have the billions and billions and Billions beaten Russia yet? No it hasn’t!! So how many billions more is Going to be required? Or is it trillions? Should america send a trillion dollars to Ukraine now?

Dobre

How LibsOfTikTok Is Helping the Kremlin Boost Anti-LGBTQ Disinformation​

“The narrative itself looks much more solid if you can repeat the false claim in a dozen different ways with a dozen different pieces of propaganda.”

"A deceptively edited video posted by the LibsofTikTok Twitter account earlier this month has helped supercharge a Kremlin-backed anti-LGBTQ disinformation campaign.

The video, published on August 10, appears to suggest that a Pennsylvania-based therapist is advocating for social acceptance of pedophilia. It’s been used by pro-Kremlin Telegram channels, and even a Russian TV station closely linked to the Kremlin, to push the claim that the West is openly embracing pedophilia and encouraging children to invite them into their homes. The campaign has now spread to countries around the globe and racked up hundreds of thousands of likes and shares.

LibsofTikTok, the online persona of Brooklyn real estate agent Chaya Raichik, has been at the forefront of the right’s anti-LGBTQ campaign, targeting schools, hospitals, and libraries in recent months.

'It absolutely petrifies me that hostile foreign powers are listening in to the anti-gay culture wars that she is stoking,' Ernie Piper, a researcher at misinformation tracking group Logically who uncovered the Russian campaign, tweeted."

This LibsOfTikTok is the same account that has been stoking hatred and threats toward Boston Children's Hospital:cry:, correct? The hospital had a bomb threat today.

becca

have the billions and billions and Billions beaten Russia yet? No it hasn’t!! So how many billions more is Going to be required? Or is it trillions? Should america send a trillion dollars to Ukraine now?
Should we let Russia continue to invade? No.

Asli

Windows seem to be very dangerous places in Russia. :shuffle:

Not just in Russia. Gravity seems to selectively affect Putin's critics elsewhere too. :yikes: Last week, Latvian-born millionaire Dan Rapoport, apparently a Putin-opponent and Navalny-supporter, married to a Ukrainian, fell out of a window in Washington D.C. Suspected suicide. :scream:

ETA: I've just read that his business partner for a Moscow club that he owned also fell out of a window in 2017. Maybe these people should never go above ground floor?

Last edited:

Dobre

caseyedwards

Julia Davis probes the contradictions of elite Russians' attitudes toward the West:

Julia Davis probes the contradictions of elite Russians' attitudes toward the West:

They don’t hate the west. They love it. They use nationalism to stay in power

Dobre

The sanctions are obviously working
Yes, this article came out this week.

Russia Privately Warns of Deep and Prolonged Economic Damage​

It's behind a paywall, and I can't read it; but I've seen it referenced in a couple posts saying that Russia's recession is likely to last 10 years.

caseyedwards

Yes, this article came out this week.

Russia Privately Warns of Deep and Prolonged Economic Damage​

It's behind a paywall, and I can't read it; but I've seen it referenced in a couple posts saying that Russia's recession is likely to last 10 years.
Sanctions were getting worse and worse anyways. America had both parties leaders passing more and more Sanctions for illegally making trump president

Vagabond

Tinami is rolling in her grave.

Tinami also cared about economics. I am gifting this in her memory.

The link will be valid for two weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information