Russia

FarFarAway

Four the Dark Side
And here comes the first piece of news, which made my day this morning. Enjoy

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/medianews/article4290520.ece

Apparently, the frenzy in the West is such at the moment, that Western journalists are twisting the facts to such a degree that they are virtually ready to compete with Russian journalists from the state-owned media.

Nick Holdsworth, who, I presume, is reporting from Moscow for The Times, should well be aware that TV2 from Tomsk is actually not the last politically independent TV station. And I am sure he is very well aware of that. Apparently, that won't make the news the news if he mentions that, but no, TV Dozhd (TV Rain) is the leading and still existing politically independent channel.

http://tvrain.ru/

TV Dozhd is having hard times this and the previous year, they tried to exclude it from major broadcaster's packages (those broadcasters are easily controlled), they almost succeeded in making the channel homeless, the channel now relies on small broadcasters (there are 4 of them in my city only), subscription fees for those who prefer to watch the channel on mobile devices and PCs and advertising, but it is still alive and kicking.

Also Mr Holdsworth should well be aware that, starting January 1, 2015 the advertising on the TV is going to be prohibited (mostly for the privately owned channels, and I still and there is still hope that this law will be called off), and that's where the hard times for all the privately owned TV channels start. As is well-known, private channels rely mostly on the advertising to survive, unless they are publicly owned, in which case the viewers pay for their work and the absence of such would be a disaster. I am sure though the channels will be able to overcome the difficulties, Russians always find some way, but some of the channels will surely close.

It seems like the real news don't interest the Western journalists much. What they need are sales and hot tabloid news to attract attention and fuel useless hysteria. Pity The Times went that way. I thought it was more or less serious mass media.

caseyedwards

Russia will definitely sign crimea back over to ukriane to try to save itself. Its officially on the verge of destruction!

FarFarAway

Four the Dark Side
The power of your imagination is really both striking and astonishing. Wow.:cheer2:

Russia will definitely sign crimea back over to ukriane to try to save itself. Its officially on the verge of destruction!

I have said this numerous times, I will say this again. I have never been Putin's supporter and now my attitude to him is completely at an absolute minus. I am sorry, I am not that strong in the maths, so I have to use strange expressions.

Life here at the moment is indeed quite difficult and unpredictable. I am not talking about the capitals, though, life out there has always been very different from the provinces. Let me see:
1. In the last couple of weeks the taxi fares went up considerably, and, as I use it daily, this hurts.
2. I am using mostly imported books and other teaching resources with my clients, the price since this March not just doubled, it went up 3 times. I am not buying new books any more.
3. I can't raise the price for my services for my clients - they will leave and I will go bankrupt immediately. They have got euro loans, some of them, and life is indeed tough for them at the moment.

My interpreting job will go to almost nothing in the first place - when the times are tough, most of the clients just refuse to employ interpreters/translators altogether. Or the wages aren't that high.

4. I am also buying some software for my second part time job, where I am a beta tester, and it's even more difficult for me at the moment, because the prices (as the software is from EU and US stores) are in euros and dollars and the difference now between the ruble and euro/dollar is plain shocking.
5. As a result of all this, I had to cut down my major expenses, with a very sad heart, I dare say: my pension payments were the first to be pushed away for the time being, then came my gym. I am also cancelling a visit to my parents for the New Year holidays and I am most likely cancelling any summer trips altogether, that's just beyond possible for me now.
6. Most of my clients are doing the same and I have already had one refusal so far for the financial reasons.

Let's sum it up: Russia is in a very sad and difficult state with extremely vague prospects, BUT are you serious Putin will sign Crimea back? You don't know him and you don't know Russia. Saying that Russia is on the verge of destruction is also a mistake to do, and a very bad one. I can assure you that Russia will rise again, like a phoenix, whether someone wants it or not. We had even tougher times than this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...t-style-collapse-as-rouble-defence-fails.html

It is debatable how far putin will have to go and if he will do it! Then is there a coup? Does any new russian government have to send putin to The Hague?

http://www.theguardian.com/business...s-lost-economic-war-with-west-rouble-currency

Jesus, your imagination is worthy of Hollywood blockbuster scenario. Putin can't do much at the moment and, for God's sake, what coup you are talking about? Who will do it? What new government? Opposition has been crushed for good here. I would never like to see any coups happening in my country, but it will take at least 3-4 years for proper opposition to appear now. That's out of the question, these are your dreams and nothing more.

PRlady

I am curious as to whether many Russians will turn on Putin for this economic catastrophe. The sanctions are a direct result of his policies. To a certain extent the sliding price of oil is, too - the Saudis are keeping the pipelines open to damage Iran and Russia.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
I am curious as to whether many Russians will turn on Putin for this economic catastrophe. The sanctions are a direct result of his policies. To a certain extent the sliding price of oil is, too - the Saudis are keeping the pipelines open to damage Iran and Russia.
Well, not Pluschenko, apparently, because
"I think all that Vladimir Putin does is right. He is indeed a great leader and the best politician in the world. I trust him completely, support him and will follow him. We are in a serious situation, but together we can win"
Pluschenko might be the stupidest among the skaters, but surely there are stupider Russians than him.

caseyedwards

The power of your imagination is really both striking and astonishing. Wow.:cheer2:

I have said this numerous times, I will say this again. I have never been Putin's supporter and now my attitude to him is completely at an absolute minus. I am sorry, I am not that strong in the maths, so I have to use strange expressions.

Life here at the moment is indeed quite difficult and unpredictable. I am not talking about the capitals, though, life out there has always been very different from the provinces. Let me see:
1. In the last couple of weeks the taxi fares went up considerably, and, as I use it daily, this hurts.
2. I am using mostly imported books and other teaching resources with my clients, the price since this March not just doubled, it went up 3 times. I am not buying new books any more.
3. I can't raise the price for my services for my clients - they will leave and I will go bankrupt immediately. They have got euro loans, some of them, and life is indeed tough for them at the moment.

My interpreting job will go to almost nothing in the first place - when the times are tough, most of the clients just refuse to employ interpreters/translators altogether. Or the wages aren't that high.

4. I am also buying some software for my second part time job, where I am a beta tester, and it's even more difficult for me at the moment, because the prices (as the software is from EU and US stores) are in euros and dollars and the difference now between the ruble and euro/dollar is plain shocking.
5. As a result of all this, I had to cut down my major expenses, with a very sad heart, I dare say: my pension payments were the first to be pushed away for the time being, then came my gym. I am also cancelling a visit to my parents for the New Year holidays and I am most likely cancelling any summer trips altogether, that's just beyond possible for me now.
6. Most of my clients are doing the same and I have already had one refusal so far for the financial reasons.

Let's sum it up: Russia is in a very sad and difficult state with extremely vague prospects, BUT are you serious Putin will sign Crimea back? You don't know him and you don't know Russia. Saying that Russia is on the verge of destruction is also a mistake to do, and a very bad one. I can assure you that Russia will rise again, like a phoenix, whether someone wants it or not. We had even tougher times than this.

Jesus, your imagination is worthy of Hollywood blockbuster scenario. Putin can't do much at the moment and, for God's sake, what coup you are talking about? Who will do it? What new government? Opposition has been crushed for good here. I would never like to see any coups happening in my country, but it will take at least 3-4 years for proper opposition to appear now. That's out of the question, these are your dreams and nothing more.

Interesting info. How its personally affecting what you do.

But there would just have to be some people in the kremlin who turn on putin. Maybe they wouldn't. The people don't matter as much. There are officials in high places and powerful positions being hurt very badly economically. Coup plotters can be incompetent and a joke and not very good but such people removed Gorbachev for a bit in 1991.

FarFarAway

Four the Dark Side

No one in the foreseeable future. They are busy now. I could of made the video of what Russians are doing at the moment, but I won't. I prefer to think about something nicer and brighter. But if you trust my word - here it is: Russians are frantically buying everything they can, mostly household goods and appliances, like fridges, microwaves, TVs etc. Retailers are already raising up the prices, so people grab everything while they can and have enough money. More to that, retailers aren't bringing new supplies and goods, as they are afraid of losing money due to the crashing ruble. Currently it cheapens from 4 to 11% daily.

When the household goods run out, people will switch to bras, socks, panties, whatever they can grab and resell later to get at least some money. I have witnessed 1991, 1994 and the disaster of the century in 1998, now it's all like history revisited. Well, I could well have done without it. I am honestly not sure how I am going to survive this time. Hopefully, my iniatives on cutting down all of my expenses will save me time and money.

There was a joke in one of the social networks some days ago. Usually right before the clock strucks midnight on New Year's Eve, Mr Putin is giving a short speech on all the federal mass media. The joke is that this year he'd better keep silence for the whole length of his speech and then just say "WTF". That would be the most perfect summary of everyone's feelings at the moment.

But there would just have to be some people in the kremlin who turn on putin. Maybe they wouldn't. The people don't matter as much. There are officials in high places and powerful positions being hurt very badly economically. Coup plotters can be incompetent and a joke and not very good but such people removed Gorbachev for a bit in 1991.

I really advise you to do at least some thorough research on the state of affairs in Russia. No one in Kremlin would do that, there are only very loyal, always agreeing people there.

Comparison with Gorbachev is extremely awkward. By that time no one believed in USSR and ruling party and everyone knew that the ruling party was lying. The situation is extremely different at the moment. The number of the sofa democrats here, supporting Putin is tremendous. They firmly believe this is USA trying to ruin us all and that Putin did everything right.

FarFarAway

Four the Dark Side
This Little History Lesson Should Terrify Vladimir Putin:
http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2014/12/it-may-not-be-1989-russia-it-sure-looks-close-cousin

This was shared on Twitter. Explains a bit about the end of Soviet rule and draws some parallels with the situation today.

I doubt it would in the foreseeable future. The crysis in the USSR was developing for almost 10 years, before changes happened. Even at the start of the crysis most of the people were dissatisfied with the level of their lives. Now it's all different. People still believe in Putin.

FarFarAway

Four the Dark Side
Well, not Pluschenko, apparently, because
"I think all that Vladimir Putin does is right. He is indeed a great leader and the best politician in the world. I trust him completely, support him and will follow him. We are in a serious situation, but together we can win"
Pluschenko might be the stupidest among the skaters, but surely there are stupider Russians than him.

I really wish he has a chance to go to Korea in 2018. I would so much love to see his sky high ego shattered to pieces and immense stupidity turned against him. God, it's really amazing how ego and stupidity can combine with the huge skating talent.

znhurston

I doubt it would in the foreseeable future. The crysis in the USSR was developing for almost 10 years, before changes happened. Even at the start of the crysis most of the people were dissatisfied with the level of their lives. Now it's all different. People still believe in Putin.
It's true the historical context was different then compared to now. But the dependence of the Russian economy on oil exports is the same. And in my opinion this continues to pose a serious threat for the future of the Russian economy. But I also agree with you that Mr. Putin remains wildly popular despite initiating domestic and foreign policies that have hurt the Russian people. His certainty of his moral superiority to the West and his indifference to criticism reminds me a lot of my former president, George W. Bush, who as you no doubt recall, claimed he had but to "look into Putin's eyes" to know what the man was thinking!

FarFarAway

Four the Dark Side
Morning, everyone. I wonder what this day will bring us?

What it is most definitely bringing us today is Mr Putin's press-conference. I've found the link on the web for you with the video trailer for the press conference broadcast by one of the state owned TV channels here, you really should watch it and read the article:

http://www.vox.com/2014/12/16/7402469/putin-russia-ads

While I am writing this, Annie Lennox is singing "Thorn in my Side" from my USsodomite iTunes player and I really find the song quite to the point. I really wish Mr Putin wouldn't give any conferences at the moment. Last time when he addressed the Parliament, it was a disaster - ruble went on crashing. One more day of ruble losing 11% of its weight and I am a beggar.

Cachoo

FarFarAway--I enjoy and am learning from your posts. It is one thing to hear from the political elite. It is quite another to get man/woman in the street updates. Thank you and to all Russians who are contributing....

FarFarAway

Four the Dark Side
Well, this week is almost over. Still, it feels like every day brings something with it. And I don't mean positive. Every day I wake up with the thought: "C'mon, Dennis, this day will be yours". By the end of the day I just feel completely shattered, not knowing what to do.

This week started with Black Monday and then Black Tuesday. Mr Putin's interview, luckily, didn't make the ruble crash, but it didn't improve things much on the other side and I realised one more time he is living on another planet. Alpha Centauri would probably do, but it's still way too close to Earth. I believe he is living on the other end of the universe.

The two things in his interview surprised me most:
1. He mentioned economy was growing, citing the statistic data up to October 2014. Well, the worst times with ruble happened in November and December. What about a little bit of objectivity?
2. He also mentioned that he doesn't know his salary. Well, Mr Putin, I do know mine and Mr FFA's, and I can assure you - we still can't figure out how to survive.

The panic here relaxed a bit, but it's still ongoing. I've been to a quite popular restaurant today and guess what? It's half empty. It's Saturday evening, peak time. It's impossible to order Beaujolais or Petit Chablis - on my request the waitress said that no one orders this wine, so they decided to take it off the menu. Anyway, the prices for these wines jumped sky high, so I really think no one will be ordering them any time soon.

And I really wish @Vagabond never mentioned Apples. I am not holding any grudge, but it turned out that Apple decided to correlate the prices in the Russian segment of the AppStore this week with the crashing ruble. This resulted in me counting all the expenses again, as I am using a lot of subscriptions for some educational resources, like Le Francais Dans Le Monde, NatGeo, Premiere, Deutsch Perfekt etc. This time it really almost made me cry. I am a tough man, I am in no way scared by the challenges, I survived 1998, but that was really over the top for me.

Jesus. I am tired. Every day I pray for better days and every day I am getting a hell. Goddam this president of ours. The tougher times are yet to come, methinks.

caseyedwards

Have you even read your own article?

Of course. They say its not likely but possible because of oligarchs losing so much money and access to luxury and not so luxury goods. they would really have to work together and be organized and one rogue oligarch couldn't do if but maybe all together.

FarFarAway

Four the Dark Side

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information