Edited: Roseanne reboot - BOOTED

annie720

:shuffle: Some people are just boring and don't like to travel cause they don't know where to go or what to do when they get there and don't like to figure out how to get around and like hate people and crowds 'n stuff. Not that I know anyone like that or anything. ;)

Some people have severe phobias about flying over large bodies of water and stick to their own continent. :( Though I was able to fly over tiny bodies of water to get to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. :) I'm hoping to get over that when hubby retires so that I can visit ancestral towns in Ireland and Switzerland.

Japanfan

I think some people think Canadians know more about the US based upon their own travels and experiences. Do people in rural Canada and less traveled know as much?

Maybe not as much, but they still know a lot about the US due to a) what they learn in school and b) constant exposure to American media.

Is the Canadian population smaller than the US population?

Yes, by a bit. :D

As of 2018 there are 326,766,748 people in the US and 36.95 million in Canada. I didn't link the sources because I had to access multiple links to get the figures.

Erin

Banned Member
Hope you enjoy your trip! I have 4 states to go until I've visited all 50 U.S. states. Hubby only has one. And we have been to every Canadian province!

Thank you! I’m pretty excited about it even though I have described it as the world’s dorkiest trip. I’m flying into Kansas City and spending a bit of time there before heading off to see a couple Laura Ingalls Wilder homesites. One of my Airbnb stays is in an actual barn so I feel like I will be getting the full Kansas experience.

:shuffle: Some people are just boring and don't like to travel cause they don't know where to go or what to do when they get there and don't like to figure out how to get around and like hate people and crowds 'n stuff.

Some people have severe phobias about flying over large bodies of water and stick to their own continent. :(

And besides these two reasons, some people don’t have the money or (as others have mentioned) the vacation time to travel. Travel is amazing but not feasible for everyone and I have to remind myself sometimes how lucky I have been to have the experiences I have had.

annie720

Thank you! I’m pretty excited about it even though I have described it as the world’s dorkiest trip. I’m flying into Kansas City and spending a bit of time there before heading off to see a couple Laura Ingalls Wilder homesites. One of my Airbnb stays is in an actual barn so I feel like I will be getting the full Kansas experience.

Ahhh, we went to De Smet, SD last summer to visit the Laura Ingalls Wilder sites there. I enjoyed it, though the town was very sad because the only things open were the Laura-related information center and restaurant, but it gave you a good feel of what it looked like. The original school house was there but it had been moved into town from it's original location. Hope you enjoy your trip!

Erin

Banned Member
Ahhh, we went to De Smet, SD last summer to visit the Laura Ingalls Wilder sites there. I enjoyed it, though the town was very sad because the only things open were the Laura-related information center and restaurant, but it gave you a good feel of what it looked like. The original school house was there but it had been moved into town from it's original location. Hope you enjoy your trip!

De Smet is on my list but I want to go in July when I can see the musical (likely do it back to back with the Walnut Grove musical). My July is too busy this year so maybe next year.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
It looks like ABC ordered episodes for the spin-off The Conners, and the new series will include both John Goodman & Laurie Metcalf.

*** ‘Roseanne’ Spinoff ‘The Conners’ Ordered by ABC :
https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/roseanne-spinoff-the-conners-ordered-by-abc-1202854210/
ABC has given a series order to “The Conners,” a spinoff starring original cast members John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf, Sara Gilbert, Lecy Goranson and Michael Fishman. Not part of the new series will be Roseanne Barr, who played the matriarch on the long-running and recently revived — and more recently canceled — multi-camera comedy. Barr will, according to ABC, have no financial or creative involvement in the spinoff.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
^^^ Yep The Conners come to TV this fall.

Dan, Jackie, Darlene, Becky and DJ will still portray the working class family while dealing with modern day issues and problems.

https://www.advocate.com/television/2018/6/21/abc-greenlights-roseanne-spinoff-without-roseanne-barr

In a press release, ABC provided a description of The Conners:

After a sudden turn of events, the Conners are forced to face the daily struggles of life in Lanford in a way they never have before. This iconic family – Dan, Jackie, Darlene, Becky and D.J. – grapples with parenthood, dating, an unexpected pregnancy, financial pressures, aging and in-laws in working-class America. Through it all, the fights, the coupon cutting, the hand-me-downs, the breakdowns – with love, humor and perseverance, the family prevails.​
“The Conners’ stories demonstrate that families can always find common ground through conversation, laughter and love. The spinoff will continue to portray contemporary issues that are as relevant today as they were 30 years ago,” ABC said in a statement.

BaileyCatts

I find it highly hypocritical of Sara Gilbert, Michael Fishman, that girl who (badly) played Harris, the folks at ABC, etc., to act all shocked and surprised at Roseanne's 'abhorrent' behavior when this all went down. I am not on Twitter or Instagram or any of those social media things (unless FSU counts?), so I had no idea about that comment she made until the show got canceled and it was all over the news and then I started reading all the articles about it. But apparently Roseanne Barr has a history of making these kinds of comments on social media. They are all involved in social media. They all knew she had done things like this before. I've even read articles where they said just knew something like this would happen due to her history of posting awful things in the past. So why did they agree to do the show in the first place, and then act all shocked and surprised when she posted something awful when she has apparently done it before? Why weren't they appalled at the abhorrent things she has said on social media in the past, which are pretty bad based on the articles I've read? I just find the "oh my god I never would have agreed to do the show if I had known she was a racist" thing to be a bit of a stretch, because they knew. Sara, the folks at ABC ... they all knew. Although I do believe John Goodman when he said doesn't do Twitter and social media. He just doesn't seem like a social media kind of guy.

That said, if they focus on Darlene, this show will tank. Sara Gilbert is just not that good an actress and she cannot carry a show. Lecy and Michael, well you can tell they have been out of acting for a long time. Darlene's kids were awful (all the kid actors in Hollywood and that was the best they could do?). This reboot was more about Dan and Roseanne, and Jackie to a degree. If they want this show to succeed they need to focus on Dan losing his wife (because come on, you know they are gonna kill her off), and Jackie coming in and trying to take charge of the household in Roseanne's place for Dan. I'll probably watch the first episode to see how they kill off Roseanne, but if the show shifts to Darlene, it won't hold my interest. They need to focus on Dan and Jackie.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
So why did they agree to do the show in the first place, and then act all shocked and surprised when she posted something awful when she has apparently done it before?
For Sara Gilbert, it wasn't a matter of agreeing. She was one of the people pushing for the reboot and is an Executive Producer on the show. So it was her baby, more than Roseanne's and I think she just hoped Roseanne would keep it together during the run of the show.

PDilemma

For Sara Gilbert, it wasn't a matter of agreeing. She was one of the people pushing for the reboot and is an Executive Producer on the show. So it was her baby, more than Roseanne's and I think she just hoped Roseanne would keep it together during the run of the show.

I read somewhere in the immediate aftermath that Gilbert and other cast members along with members of the crew and Roseanne's adult children were all aware and trying to keep her off of social media or at least under control when she did use it. They absolutely knew. And acting so surprised when the babysitting failed was pretty ridiculous.

I never liked the original show, actually. I saw one episode of the reboot because my in-laws insisted on watching it when we were at their house. I wasn't impressed and have no desire to watch it with or without Roseanne.

That said, if they focus on Darlene, this show will tank. Sara Gilbert is just not that good an actress and she cannot carry a show. L.

Thank you. I keep seeing all of this endless praise of her all over the web and have been going, "wait, what am I missing?", because I don't think she's that good either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information