RIP, Gordie Howe

Lacey

I'm not Canadian, but I definitely think he was a most gifted hockey player and great father to his sons who he taught and with whom I believe he also played professionally.

Skate Talker

Yes indeed he did play with his sons, Lacey. In fact he came out of retirement to do so. Like Artemis I am not a big hockey fan but even I know how fierce and dominating a player he was and what a humble and gentle man he was off the ice. One day when I was in a drugstore near my workplace, I turned down and aisle and came up short seeing him there. I thought it was someone I must knew and almost started talking to him but hesitated when I couldn't quite place him. A moment later it clicked in that it was the legend Gordie Howe and that his team was in town that day to play our home team. I decided to leave him in peace knowing he would seldom be allowed to just be a regular guy on the street without someone pestering him for an autograph or a chat.

KatieC

CBC radio yesterday afternoon was filled with stories of how much people respected him, outside the game. That he made an effort to put people at ease, those who were unable to speak to him. One sports writer commented Gordie Howe represented a time when most athletes were gentlemen.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
I need to call my dad. He LOVED Gordie Howe.

My older sisters and I all got given these knit hockey-playing bears when we were little; each had a real hockey player's name/number on its jersey. I think they're long gone, unfortunately, but I'm pretty sure one was Gordie Howe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information