Racial Profiling & Related Matters (Non-Lethal Version)

judiz

Ratings
For

It was not clear to me if the referee warned the kid that unless he covers his hair with a cap, he would have to cut his hair to fit the regulated length of hair.
Did the kid refuse to wear a cap?

From what I read, the regulation cap can be attached to the mask so it doesn’t fall off, the cap the wrestler was wearing was not regulation and could fall off during the match.

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
Ratings
In this case, this wrestler was not wearing a regulation cap
Where did you read that? I haven't read that.

The cap he was wearing was one he wore in previous matches.

Also, if it was just that it wasn't regulation, why didn't the ref have them ask anyone at the match to borrow the regulation one rather than making him cut his hair?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Ratings
https://www.oregonlive.com/business/2018/12/portland-hotel-calls-cops-on-black-guest-in-lobby.html

Security called the cops on a black hotel guest who was phoning his mother from the lobby of the Doubletree Hotel in Oregon. The man was forced to check out of the hotel by the cops. The management did not refund his money either.
This is disgusting. i will not stay in a Doubletree hotel anymore, as a protest. The hotel tried to brush it off by saying it was just a misunderstanding. No, it was racial bias and a clear case of racism. Is there no law to protect POC as customers of an establishment?

I have read stories that are similar in nature. A black person is found to be where they have only whites and they can't believe that a black person has made it- financially, intellectually, etc.

I am surprised that this happened in Portand, which i thought was a progressive city, and it is on the west coast. It is not like this was the deep south. I guess i am ignorant.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
Ratings
I am surprised that this happened in Portand, which i thought was a progressive city, and it is on the west coast. It is not like this was the deep south. I guess i am ignorant.
Yeah, you probably didn't know that Portland (and surrounding areas) are a stronghold of White Supremacy. The whole area is very white and that's the way a lot of people like it. Here's an article about it:

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/07/racist-history-portland/492035/

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Ratings
The hotel incident really bothered me. The man was sitting in a downstairs lounge & security told him he called the police because he was "loitering"? If the hotel isn't expecting people to use the couches & chairs for the intended purpose, they need to remove them.

The police report apparently said the man was yelling. He challenged them for harassing him, but it did not sound like he was yelling. So now challenging becomes yelling becomes a dangerous safety issue leading up to possible arrest. It seems like this is happening constantly - people being characterized as combative, uncooperative, unlawful, dangerous etc. when they express disagreement with the handling of these matters.

Three people with authority became involved - security guard, hotel manager, police officer - but not one could get past the power play dynamics to solve a simple problem. Not giving him a refund was outright theft under the circumstances.

The reporter from CBS This Morning who covered this story said he recently experienced a similar incident at a hotel & was questioned by security when he was the only person of color in the waiting area. He said the woman next to him immediately put the guard on the spot & asked why he was the only one being asked to verify his room number. I hope more & more people will continue to speak up. Also a case can be made that it's a safety issue requiring customers to announce their room numbers in public areas like this, so it's hard to buy the company's "concern" for the security of their customers under questionable practices.

Vash01

Ratings
The hotel apologized to the guest on Twitter and said they have put the two employees on leave (I assume it is paid leave). This does not satisfy me. Sounds like they are stalling. Why do they need advice from community leaders? It is common sense that if someone is a paid guest at your hotel you treat him with respect.

The humiliation he must have felt is unimaginable.

https://www.wweek.com/news/city/201...kDpw1Bc-mRtClu9huvNmABLysVsA7fI5O5YZ5gZNhfnkA

Last edited:

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Ratings
The latest news articles indicate the two employees have been terminated & the hotel is now saying it's mistreatment, not a misunderstanding. I guess this means he'll get a refund for the room.

*** DoubleTree Portland fires two employees for evicting black guest from hotel :
https://www.oregonlive.com/business...yees-for-evicting-black-guest-from-hotel.html
The DoubleTree Portland has fired the two employees – a security guard and a manager – responsible for evicting an African-American hotel guest who was talking on the phone in the lobby. The Hilton-owned hotel wrote on Twitter Saturday morning that the employees’ “mistreatment” of Jermaine Massey was “inconsistent with our standards & values. We reiterate our sincere apology for what he endured & will work with diversity experts to ensure this never happens again.”
*** Read the full statement from lawyers for black evicted hotel guest :
https://www.oregonlive.com/business...om-lawyers-for-black-evicted-hotel-guest.html
Through our firm, Mr. Massey invites the Hilton DoubleTree Hotel chain to publicly answer the following questions:
As the video shows, the incident took place in a quiet corner of the hotel lobby which was open to the public. At the time, Mr. Massey was returning a personal phone call from his mother who lives on the East Coast. Why was Mr. Massey approached by security? Why was he interrogated?

The security guard told Mr. Massey that he was a “threat to security,” a statement echoed by the hotel chain’s press release, which states, “Safety and security of our guests and associates is our top priority.” Please explain in detail in what manner Massey was a threat to safety or security.

Once these questions are fully and completely answered, Mr. Massey may be willing to speak publicly on this matter. The hotel has requested a private discussion, but Mr. Massey was publicly humiliated. Therefore, he demands a public statement response.

Vash01

Ratings
The latest news articles indicate the two employees have been terminated & the hotel is now saying it's mistreatment, not a misunderstanding. I guess this means he'll get a refund for the room.

*** DoubleTree Portland fires two employees for evicting black guest from hotel :
https://www.oregonlive.com/business...yees-for-evicting-black-guest-from-hotel.html

*** Read the full statement from lawyers for black evicted hotel guest :
https://www.oregonlive.com/business...om-lawyers-for-black-evicted-hotel-guest.html
I read today about the firing of the two employees. It took the hotel a week to take action, and that too because of the uproar in the media and the social media, people threatening to never stay at a Hilton again. Had Mr. Massey not gone public, nobody would have known about this. So thanks to him, something will be done about it.

The police told him he was trespassing, and they followed him to his room when he went there to retrieve his belongings. He had the key to his room, and he had checked into the hotel. Then how could he be trespassing? IMO the police were as guilty as the hotel management. Were they required by law to evict a paid customer without further investigation just because the hotel wanted him out? Did they ask the hotel manager in what way Massey was a threat to the security of the hotel, or is it not within their rights to ask those questions?

Some people are blaming Massey for Not telling his room number when the guard asked for it. Clearly Massey was in the middle of a conversation on his cell phone, and he did show the room key to the guard. Some are accusing him of doing this to get money from the hotel. That is so ridiculous. Nobody plans to be discriminated against in order to get money. It seems every time something bad or unfair happens, it is important to record it on your phone. Otherwise nobody will believe you.

I am glad that Massey and his lawyers are not letting the hotel off the hook after an overdue apology. We may never know the final outcome, but every such incident tells us that racism exists and that there are ways to fight it. Keep quiet and they will continue it.

Japanfan

Ratings
Some people are blaming Massey for Not telling his room number when the guard asked for it. Clearly Massey was in the middle of a conversation on his cell phone, and he did show the room key to the guard.
Yes, he did.

I am glad that Massey and his lawyers are not letting the hotel off the hook after an overdue apology. We may never know the final outcome, but every such incident tells us that racism exists and that there are ways to fight it. Keep quiet and they will continue it.
The hotel should not be left off the hook. Such discrimination is not acceptable in this day and age, and there are laws against it.

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
Ratings
This incident rises to a level of craziness that confuses me. The hotel employees wanted the man arrested for trespassing if he didn't leave. When he said he was a guest of the hotel, they made him check out so they could continue to threaten him with a charge of trespassing. How vested do you have to be in your POV that you go that far to make it be reality?

Buzz

Ratings
Protests have been held outside the home of a wealthy DNC political activist after another black man have been found dead inside his home. This first death happened in 2017.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said it received a 911 call shortly after 1 a.m. on Monday from a person who claimed that a man inside a West Hollywood apartment had stopped breathing and could not be resuscitated. When emergency responders arrived at the residence, a second-floor unit on Laurel Avenue, they declared the man dead.

The authorities have not determined how the man died, nor have they publicly released his identity other than to say he was an adult black man. A group of protesters rallied outside Mr. Buck’s apartment throughout the day Monday and demanded justice for the man and for another black man, Gemmel Moore, who was found naked and dead of a drug overdose on a mattress in Mr. Buck’s living room in July 2017.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/08/us/ed-buck-gemmel-moore-hollywood.html

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Ratings
A restaurant manager hit a high school kid with a chair as soon as he walked into the restaurant.

*** Manager at Poke Poke restaurant in downtown Chicago suspended after allegedly swinging chair at black teen :
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news...its-black-teen-with-chair-20190108-story.html
In the video, Fezzey never denies the allegations that he hit Johnson with a chair. Instead, he repeatedly acknowledges that he was "in the wrong," and he says the reaction was his "first instinct" after previous encounters with black men at the restaurant. "Two days ago - and I'm not trying to be racist - two black guys robbed two people right here," Fezzey explains to Johnson in the video, using numerous expletives in his response.

"But sir, you threw a chair at me," Johnson responds earnestly. "I'm not those guys."

"Listen, three days ago, before that, I had two more black guys. I actually fought them in here," Fezzey replied. "They tried threatening one of my employees, and I had to fight them . . . when you guys came in here, I just got really . . . defensive, really defensive, because I had to fight them off all the time. These security guards over here don't do a . . . thing."
The teen said he felt "voiceless" when Fezzey threatened to call the police. "He was screaming at me, saying he was gonna call the cops. . . . I was thinking, 'Why would you call the cops on me when I didn't do anything wrong?' " Johnson said. "When the police get here, am I going to be held accountable for something I didn't do?"

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Ratings
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/K...llas-Area-Sensitivity-Training-504023481.html

Some black kids bought some snacks from a Kroger's in TX. The manager called the cops, claiming the kids shop
lifted the snacks. However, the kids had the receipts. That did not end it though. The manager swore out a trespassing complaint against the kids.

The trespass warnings given to the boys means if they come back to that Kroger location within the next year, they could be arrested and charged. Warnings like this are at an officer's or business' discretion.
Kroger's is trying to do damage control.

ballettmaus

Ratings
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/K...llas-Area-Sensitivity-Training-504023481.html

Some black kids bought some snacks from a Kroger's in TX. The manager called the cops, claiming the kids shop
lifted the snacks. However, the kids had the receipts. That did not end it though. The manager swore out a trespassing complaint against the kids.

Kroger's is trying to do damage control.

What are the odds that everyone in the area will boycott that Kroger's until the manager is fired, they apologize to the Kids and take back the trespassing warning?

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Ratings
Two racist incidents at the annual meeting of the Society for Classical Studies:

First hotel employees questioned the presence of minority attendees, then a Princeton professor was told at the Q&A for his paper that he only got his job "because he was black."

https://www.chronicle.com/article/After-Racist-Incidents-Mire-a/245430
This quote is important, I thought:

Williams did not immediately respond to a request for comment. (Reached by email, she told Inside Higher Ed that it’s important to unapologetically “stand up for classics as a discipline,” and that she didn’t think her comments were racist.)
This is a situation I see a lot: people who make clearly racist statements who have no clue that they are racist. Yet they seem to realize that being a racist is a bad thing, because they feel insulted if someone tells them they are racists.

I do not know how they can be brought to that final recognition that what they are saying is racist, and that they have racist tendencies.

When you confront them, they just complain about PC.

rvi5

Ratings
...This is a situation I see a lot: people who make clearly racist statements who have no clue that they are racist. Yet they seem to realize that being a racist is a bad thing, because they feel insulted if someone tells them they are racists.

I do not know how they can be brought to that final recognition that what they are saying is racist, and that they have racist tendencies.

When you confront them, they just complain about PC.
Very true. I was just reading the comment section of an article about Ms. Rahaf Al-Qunun. Most people were supportive, but a few were not. One in particular referred to her as “this Moslem” :duh:. Why even mention her religion (which she renounced)? It was obvious to me, this person was a racist. People with racist tendencies like to “group” people together and apply negative comments, instead of speaking of an “individual”, or at least saying “some” instead of implying “all”. I am sure this person denies being racist, but it slips out in their speech. In another case, a man was interviewed for a magazine about the border crossers into Manitoba. Speaking to the interviewer, he said: “...not like normal white people like us” :duh:. He likely thinks he is speaking naturally, but racism shows.

Last edited:

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Ratings
And people wonder why Ohio went for Trump?
:rolleyes: Yes, the vast majority of us are living here looking for every opportunity we can find to oppress & commit violence against people of color, LGBT, etc. :rolleyes:

But I guess we have to expect this view from the poster who lambasted us all as the worst right-to-lifers in the U.S. after the Heartbeat Bill was actually passed due to extreme gerrymandering, a super majority & political manipulation, It was passed despite research showing it would have failed minimum 65%-35%, more likely 70%-30% as a ballot initiative.

Next shall we go find some racial incidents in CT (or any other east or west coast state) & blame them on all the citizens who live there? Continuing to pursue these biases seems like a big waste of time when crimes are being committed.
(This reality check brought to you by a resident of the state that also elected Sherrod Brown, who received a lot of votes from the Toledo area.)

Last edited:

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Ratings
We have racists, xenophobes, and misogynists in CT, too, but not so many that Trump won the state. That does not mean we get to pat ourselves on the back. We have a lot of work to do on ourselves, too.

In Ohio, it was not close in 2016. That does not mean I think all residents of Ohio are racists, xenophobes, and misogynists, nor are they, nor are all Trump voters. However, racism correlates to Trump voting.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-or-income-inequality/?utm_term=.851fcd04605b

People try to explain the 2016 Ohio election by assuming there are no racists there, and the shift to the Republican party is only about economic anxiety. Democrats wring their hands about it. When I read something like this article, I am not surprised. You have plenty of racists there. They are not all in the South.

Democrats used to be the party of segregation, and Republicans the party of Lincoln, but things have realigned in the age of Trump.

also Religion does not help racism, at least according to some studies.

http://www.scienceandreligiontoday.com/2010/04/20/why-religion-can-lead-to-racism/

And what went on at GM Powertrain is shocking. There was a systemic culture of racism there, involving the union, management, and white workers. Please read the article.

Not just two men
It wasn't just Boyd and Brooks complaining. Another employee made a police report about the nooses and conversations about guns being brought to work. Others filed complaints with the Ohio Civil Rights Commission.
The commission, which enforces state laws against discrimination, announced the findings of a nine-month investigation last March: GM did allow a racially hostile environment.

Darlene Sweeney-Newbern, the commission's director of regional operations, said racist behavior was so prevalent at Toledo Powertrain that she'd rank it among the worst cases her team has seen. Incidents continued while the commission was investigating, according to Sweeney-Newbern.

And she rejected GM's defense that it had taken appropriate action.
"GM did not deny that these things were taking place. They simply said, 'Hey as soon as we heard of these things we moved in and we took action.' That is not what we found in the investigation," she said.
This is a major US company in Ohio that cannot seem to keep their staff from making death threats to black employees.

Last edited:

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Ratings
I already read the article, and just like so many of the other ones here, the state where it happened is incidental to the actual harassment and/or criminal action. I don't know anyone who says racism doesn't exist in OH, just as it does everywhere else in the U.S. Who created this topic to discuss such matters in the first place? Unity against the bad actions, and not divisiveness based on geographical background is what will lead to solutions to such problems.

It's hard not to take issue with the constant generalizations about certain states (almost always directed at those of us in the Midwest). They are usually posted as quick cheap shots based on little more than sound bites & news headlines, usually without complete research & analysis. Of course, it could always be John Glenn's former advisor & an OSU professor emeritus don't know what they're talking about & you have the real inside scoop regarding things like the Heartbeat Bill.

Last edited:

Susan1

Ratings
We have racists, xenophobes, and misogynists in CT, too, but not so many that Trump won the state. That does not mean we get to pat ourselves on the back. We have a lot of work to do on ourselves, too.

In Ohio, it was not close in 2016. That does not mean I think all residents of Ohio are racists, xenophobes, and misogynists, nor are they, nor are all Trump voters. However, racism correlates to Trump voting.
Not arguing. I don't even usually read this thread. Just - Ohio voted for President Obama twice. I think 2016 here was more about not voting for a woman for president. Didn't people who voted for President Obama not vote at all in 2016?

demetriosj

Ratings

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)