Racial Profiling & Related Matters (Non-Lethal Version)

skatingguy

Golden Team
Not just a white woman. Look at her methed out, racist companions.
Some of those involved are being charged, but basically it looks like the woman decided that it was her car because a black man could not have bought it on his own, and others decided to 'help her' by harassing the family.

snoopy

Or maybe since they called the cops, they should've just left it at that and not shared this video. I'll wait for a lack of those replies.
I think calling the cops was certainly the right thing to do and have no issues with posting this video.

Tony Wheeler

I think calling the cops was certainly the right thing to do and have no issues with posting this video.
So you in fact don't mind if some peoples lives are 'ruined', which takes away the entire argument we were having before. I asked you- are there times when it's right to do it and you said no. This is a racist incident. The other one was a racist incident. Because they chose to double down this time and not scream and cry about being 'attacked' shouldn't detract you from the ultimate point of it being racist behavior.

snoopy

I asked you- are there times when it's right to do it and you said no.
Did I say no? I know I said Amy Cooper should have been fired but I didn’t like social media justice. Too many emotions can take over rational behavior.

This guy recorded an event happening, he didn’t go after her. I think there is a difference between this and the earlier one. Plus she was falsely accusing him of a crime. I’m very against that.

Tony Wheeler

Did I say no? I know I said Amy Cooper should have been fired but I didn’t like social media justice. Too many emotions can take over rational behavior.

This guy recorded an event happening, he didn’t go after her. I think there is a difference between this and the earlier one. Plus she was falsely accusing him of a crime. I’m very against that.
So you're saying you can pick and choose when these videos should surface and who should be a victim and who shouldn't. You also said you don't like videos being used for revenge. Why is this video not revenge but a video of someone who confronted a racist 'revenge'?

The video that you're endlessly trying to say shouldn't have happened was a result of someone else's initial actions. She doesn't get a 'get out of jail free' card just because the exact moment of the incident wasn't caught on camera. Sorry about it.

These are both examples of the true colors and realities of America.

snoopy

I will repeat this and then bow out for the night. The issue everyone here really has with the lady in the previous video is the n word. There was a reason I asked what the penalty should be for using the n word. I have given my answer to that. What everyone else seems to want her punishment to be is not proportional imo. The video in that case was being cheered on to exact as much flesh as possible. The only thing I see people using this video for is to arrest a person who should be arrested.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Screaming at the Pier 1 employees was not enough, so when this woman saw a brain cancer patient filming her tirade she made it a point to run over and cough on her:
Not racial profiling, but I thought I'd share because I guess this is an example of the original "Karen" definition and the cancer patient's final comment:
"I’m off to find a Cov*d test, thanks Karen*cough, cough*"

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
The video is disturbing. Another white woman endangering the life of black man, and his children.

It is really upsetting to see how this family was terrorized. The man standing in front of the car obviously has his hand in his jacket to appear threatening and who knows whether he had a real weapon or not?

According to the news report, the perpetrators are now acting like it was just a "misunderstanding"????? Unbelievable. I hope this explanation will not be given too much voice by the media considering there is no misunderstanding at all that her VIN# is completely different from the one for this man's car. :rolleyes:

If someone opens the door to yank the driver out of his own car while yelling at him to get the f--- out of the car, I hope they have some kind of attempted carjacking law to address it. I wonder if the woman will only face the disorderly conduct charge or if there will be more to come, since it seems like she actively participated with the others in what seems like an unlawful detainment. Certainly more than just disorderly conduct.

Another example of how these videos can be used to clearly define an incident as acts of violence and not simply a "misunderstanding" as defined by the aggressors in the aftermath.

Last edited:

ballettmaus

The Mississippi House and Senate have taken the first step toward removing the Confederate battle flag from their state flag. https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/06/27/mississippi-flag-vote/

Saturday’s vote was a procedural measure necessary so that legislators could consider a bill changing the flag. That measure, which requires a simple majority rather than a two-thirds vote, seems likely to pass and could be debated as early as Sunday.

It calls for the immediate removal of the existing flag and the creation of a commission to design a new one. The legislation stipulates that the words “In God We Trust” be included in the new flag and that it not include the Confederate battle flag.

The new version would go before voters for approval in November. If voters rejected the proposed flag, the commission would create a new one meeting the same requirements.

skipaway

Professional Softball Team Quits en masse After GM Tweets Anthem Brag to Trump

Members of a pro softball team quit this week in Florida after the general manager tweeted a photo to President Donald Trump bragging that the team was standing for the national anthem.
“Everyone respecting the flag!” wrote team executive Connie May in the tweet to the president’s attention Monday night.

Members of the Scrap Yard Dawgs team, which includes 11 athletes chosen for the 2021 U.S. Olympics squad, saw the message after their game in Melbourne. Outraged that May used the moment to embrace Trump’s opposition to athletes kneeling during the anthem as a form of anti-racism protest, they quit.
So proud of all of them!

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Okay I've had it.

White men who are so focused on what white women do are just acting out sexism.

Sexist stereotypes of white woman are now being used by white men to deflect from the intersection of racism and sexism.

Let white women deal with other white women. But goddamn if I'm going to be told what sexism is by men.

@Tony Wheeler this is particularly meant for you. Just stop telling women what to think about sexism.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
Came here to discuss CHAZ/CHOP or see if it's come up on FSU and people are arguing about Karen? FFS.

I saw that video of the family in Spokane Valley a few days ago. How completely terrifying for that family. The poor girl filming. No sympathy for the dude who got identified and is trying to say he was following them just to look out for the driver's best interests, because things would be so bad if he ended up running over the guy on the hood of his car.

Tony Wheeler

Okay I've had it.

Sexist stereotypes of white woman are now being used by white men to deflect from the intersection of racism and sexism.

Let white women deal with other white women. But goddamn if I'm going to be told what sexism is by men.

@Tony Wheeler this is particularly meant for you. Just stop telling women what to think about sexism.
First of all, I'm not that concerned about what white women are doing specifically. See what the title of this thread is. See that I've also pointed out and linked to the men behaving in the same manner, and I can link to where I did it before this whole debate began. But none of you had a word to say when I shared the male-Karen story where the man went after the girls on the golf cart. You just move on with your reading.

Second, I linked to an instance of racial profiling, in the racial profiling thread, when it happened to be a white woman racial profiling a black man. What was I greeted with? Poster A who was hell-bent on pointing out that rather than him being profiled, he was in the wrong for 'chasing her' and confronting her and 'yelling at her' and that poster wouldn't even watch the video. They argued for quite some time that all of this was just for revenge. Poster B came in and was bent out of shape, initially because of all words being nasty and not liking that the word Karen was used. As has been pointed out by both men and women, if that's the thing you're most worried about, then that's pretty problematic. Poster C came in and provided a link to an article that barely got any traffic and used it as their argument to speak for 'women' as a whole. Poster C also on two separate occasions in this very thread put words in my mouth like usual.

I then linked to plenty enough that shows that, sorry, other women very much do not feel that way. I didn't tell you how you had to feel. But don't get mad when I'm getting lashed out on over one random article from some random website and random writer, and I provide a multitude of articles where other women tell why it is not problematic and never will be. If you have a problem with me pointing that out, that's on you.

White people can 100% point out that other white people are acting with privilege. And MANY of these rebuttal comments are exactly that, whether you like it or not. I think it's absolute nonsense that the trigger of all of this debate was because a white woman was filmed by a black man after SHE started an incident. The exact incident wasn't caught on camera? So what. The issue here is the racist behavior, and you are all complaining about poor white women (not the men, mind you) getting a bad name for the behavior that they start. Okay.

VGThuy

It's kind of a good thing and a bad thing that the Karen posts took off as they did. On one hand, the whole Karen thing is giving this thread much more traffic than it usually receives and much more responses. On the other, it seems the thing people care the most about despite other links provided to racist incidents, some including violence and a woman being set on fire after hearing racist epitaphs (the topic we were talking about with regard to the whole Karen debate).

DFJ

Okay I've had it.

Hmmmm...I wondered where you've been. 😉😉

allezfred

#EpidemiologistsNotEconomists
Staff member
Okay I've had it.

That article was written by a woman of colour.

Aerobicidal

Inspired by Selections
There has been a robust discussion in the media and academia, especially in the last few months, about the history of white female entitlement in the U.S., which obviously intersects with racism in ways that have harmed white women as well as ways that have empowered white women compared to Black people--particularly Black men.

Concerning the subject of racial profiling, this discussion is--in my opinion but I would say almost undeniably--relevant. I spent a lot of time over the weekend reading about recent racist incidents caught on video, and many of them do illustrate an intersection of racism and sexism. For example, many of them featured white men trying to intimidate, harass, and shame women of color. (Which is clearly shocking considering there are no politically powerful white men setting such an example in the U.S. these days!!!)

I don't understand the justification for or implications of a statement like "Let white women deal with other white women." People of color (women, men, and every other gender*) obvious HAVE to deal with white women in hostile situations just like people of color have to deal with white men and non-white women and etc. etc. etc. We aren't going to make progress on hate and harassment by compartmentalizing via identity categories and shutting off discourse by oblique accusations of sexism and male dismissal of women. And, frankly, I have been reading every post in this thread (which required additional effort in a couple of different ways) because I have seen so many unfounded accusations and responses to arguments that have never been explicitly or implicitly made that I was questioning my own experience of reality.

All that being said, I want to acknowledge that it is absolutely possible to put too much emphasis on white women in a discussion of racism and entitlement, but I don't know why that even needs to be stated. It would be just as reasonable to qualify this post (and here I'm going to reference the *) by saying transphobia--which also intersects with racism and sexism--has been completely left out of this discussion. And don't even try to convince me that FSU has anything but a problematic history with discussions of trans empowerment.

demetriosj

...who was hell-bent on pointing out that rather than him being profiled, he was in the wrong for 'chasing her' and confronting her and 'yelling at her'...

..I think it's absolute nonsense that the trigger of all of this debate was because a white woman was filmed by a black man after SHE started an incident. The exact incident wasn't caught on camera? So what.
That is precisely the crux of this. The exact incident, if there was one, was not caught on camera. He has no proof that anything actually happened. All we are viewing is him confronting and harassing her. Why should we automatically believe him?

Tony Wheeler

That is precisely the crux of this. The exact incident, if there was one, was not caught on camera. He has no proof that anything actually happened. All we are viewing is him confronting and harassing her. Why should we automatically believe him?
I have stated about 5 times now that I provided a second link in which she admits she started it, has random bystanders confirming that it happened, and then her repeatedly saying 'it's not what I meant'.

So THAT'S WHY.

VGThuy

Do you have anything to say about any other incidents whose links were provided here in the past week?

Tony Wheeler

Deflecting, as shown by @demetriosj:

You know what, focus on the real issues: the damage the perpetrators have caused (looting innocent store owners, burning buildings and cars, hitting store owners in the head with 2 x 4's and skate boards, and devastating communities.)
- in response to racism. notice the 'real' issues.

Not so peaceful. Heard that bags of bats, bricks were found hidden along the road. Given many warnings and it was after curfew.
- in response to the protesters being pepper sprayed and met with aggression at the White House - 'heard that' as the whole argument, which was untrue

Who is "constantly trashing the black community"? I would suggest you get out of your ivory tower and into the real world. Most people are just worried about making a living, supporting their family, and surviving another day. Who has time to trash anyone?

Sorry, no one who is protesting peacefully is being met with "unexplainable aggression and violence". Stop lying.You need to separate the peaceful protesters from the thugs.The cops are showing amazing restraint with protesters right up in their faces, screaming at them, throwing water bottles, rocks, bricks, shovels, garbage cans at them.
Who deflects? You. I see plenty of people ready to trash blacks based solely on the color of their skin. You included.

ETA- remember I've also asked you several times whether or not you're a racist, and you ignore the post. Pathetic. Hiding behind a user name and you can't even own up to it.

Last edited:

VGThuy

Deflecting.
You're the only one deflecting. Tony Wheeler responded to you directly and answered and corrected your statements head-on. Now, I am asking you point blank in this thread about racial profiling and other related incidents that you have had no issue in participating in if you have anything to say about the other racist incidents that we presented in this thread in the past few days? There were a lot to choose from. We are all curious where you stand on those incidents. This is a time you can speak for yourself and correct the perceptions I think most of us who have participated in this thread have of you.

demetriosj

Deflecting, as shown by @demetriosj:

- in response to racism. notice the 'real' issues.

- in response to the protesters being pepper sprayed and met with aggression at the White House - 'heard that' as the whole argument, which was untrue

Who deflects? You. I see plenty of people ready to trash blacks based solely on the color of their skin. You included.

ETA- remember I've also asked you several times whether or not you're a racist, and you ignore the post. Pathetic. Hiding behind a user name and you can't even own up to it.
I stand by all of the above quotes of mine that you have tried to read something else into with your infinite wisdom. None of them shows that, "I see plenty of people ready to trash blacks based solely on the color of their skin. You included." You are the one choosing to ignore things. I believe you have your own issues that you need to deal with.

Tony Wheeler

I stand by all of the above quotes of mine that you have tried to read something else into with your infinite wisdom. None of them shows that, "I see plenty of people ready to trash blacks based solely on the color of their skin. You included." You are the one choosing to ignore things. I believe you have your own issues that you need to deal with.
I will remind you that you took it upon yourself to personally go after me and tell me that I’m a liar, that I need to get out of my bubble, and see that BLM and racial issues isn’t something people are worried about because they have ‘other things to worry about’.

Yet I’ve provided links every single time that you come back with something, and you don’t like it one bit that there is very clear evidence against what you’re trying to argue.

Just because you choose not to see a bigger picture doesn’t mean that your own bubble of opinions is what everyone else is limiting themselves to. You’re painting a narrative to support your own thoughts.

So, I ask again- are you racist?

VGThuy

Who is he to "correct" my statements?! WTF?! This seriously sounds like the Gestapo.
You mean correcting false information or assertions is now akin to actions taken by the Gestapo? If you disagree with Tony Wheeler's responses to your statements, then you should respond with facts of your own to show his response to you was incorrect or incomplete. And I was only talking about the way you wrongly asserted what happened in the action in the video. Btw, good attempt at deflecting from answering my original question to you regarding whether you had any opinions about the racist acts in various incidents linked in this thread. It seems you only care about this one white woman who you saw in Tony's video. I guess that answers everything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information