Racial Profiling & Related Matters (Non-Lethal Version)

Buzz

An indigenous 12 year old girl and her grandfather were handcuffed and detained by police after trying to open a bank account. The bank and police have apologized.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Banking while black -
It says the bank filed a police report for fraud against him. Won't that be a permanent record with the police dept. even if it's updated with the facts? I wonder if they can get it sealed.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Adrian Iraola was standing up with a microphone Monday, sharing a story with parents and school administrators, in Saline, Michigan, about how racism in the school had been affecting his child when he was interrupted.

"I remember when I went to his bedroom, to say good night, and he was crying because of the abuse that he was enduring in this school system," Iraola, who is Latino, began at Liberty School.

"Then why didn't you stay in Mexico?" asked the man, who was identified by Ann Arbor News/MLive.comas Tom Burtell.

... Iraola is the father of three former students and said he came to the U.S. 40 years ago and owns three Mexican restaurants.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Thursday marks the 78th anniversary of the Japanese internment, a day that has come to be known as a Day of Remembrance — but this year, California lawmakers are hoping to do more than just remember. The California Legislature is planning to pass a resolution issuing an official apology “for its past actions in support of the unjust exclusion, removal and incarceration of Japanese Americans during World War II, and for its failure to support and defend the civil rights and civil liberties of Japanese Americans during this period.”

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
So many threads where this could be posted --- this one has it all --- "good guys" with guns, vigilante force, misrepresentation by an off duty officer … I posted it in this one because it sounds like the root cause of the incident was racial profiling that sent the vigilante group to the wrong house.

According to the Shepards, the armed group repeatedly attempted to enter their home, believing that Dameon Shepard was actually a Topsail High student by the name of Josiah. That same night, a 15-year-old girl was reported missing, last seen in nearby Hampstead, and the group believed Josiah knew of her whereabouts. (She was later located.)

Pender deputies who eventually arrived on the scene made no arrests that night, May 3, and law enforcement authorities did not address the incident until a press conference held Friday, May 8 — a day after the Shepards’ attorney went public with what he called an armed “vigilante group.”

Pender County Sheriff Alan Cutler admitted that there “may have been enough evidence collected that night to make an arrest” at the press conference. District Attorney Ben David said he had been in “constant communication with the Pender County Sheriff’s Office” since the incident occurred. He also said the New Hanover Sheriff’s Office was notified immediately after the incident and conducted an internal affairs investigation. Prior to the conference, a New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office (NHCSO) deputy who helped lead the group had been fired.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
These people drive me crazy. It's like they watched way too movies where the "good guys" take matters into their own hands because the local law enforcement is corrupt or stupid. Except they don't even try to go through channels. They jump right to vigilante.

We do not longer live in the "wild west." If you need help, you ask the authorities. You don't take matters into your own hands.

I just think about what they would want to have happen if some girl their own kids knew took off and people thought their kids knew where she was. They definitely wouldn't want an armed mob showing up at their house demanding answers. The people looking for the girl wouldn't do that either. They'd call or maybe one person would knock on the door and politely ask questions.

I think we know why it didn't happen that way.

It does make me happy that the neighbors all stood up for their neighbors and want justice.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Owning vacation property while black:
Authorities said the man, a professor who owns property in the state and who was not identified by name, was driving with his 11-year-old son at around 10 a.m. on Friday “when two unknown vehicles, possibly pickup trucks, approached him and flagged him down.”

Thinking someone needed assistance, the man stopped and spoke with one of the drivers, a white male.

“The victim, who is black, was advised that he was not wanted in Vermont and told to leave,” police said in the statement, adding, “There were significant racial undertones to the interaction."

Fiero425

Owning vacation property while black:
We like to think this only happens in the South, but our whole country is fk'd up with people like this all over who Trump has given voice! They feel they're entitled to express their racial animus towards people of color! It's sad and pathetic that I have to "go out" seeing the country going backwards instead of forward! We should have known by how disgusting Republicans treated Obama with impunity! Stealing a Supreme Court seat just sealed the deal how fk'd up the country was going! ;-(

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
This situation is exacerbated by Vermont's crud quarantine. People coming to the state are supposed to self quarantine for two weeks. This is also true in other New England states.

From the original article:
The governor said despite ******** travel orders in place, out-of-state residents who own property in Vermont are still welcome, according to WPTZ.
The implication could be made that those who do not own property in the state are not welcome. And they are not:

"If you don't need to come to Vermont, please don't," Scott said. "This is about public health and safety, a top priority.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Educated white woman who obviously knows better calls 911 with made up accusation while practically strangling her dog because she doesn't want the poor thing leashed:
There’s only one right answer when someone asks you to put your dog back on the leash in Central Park (or essentially anywhere that’s not your own home): You say “I’m sorry,” and you do it immediately. Amy Cooper performed high dudgeon as only a white person can perform it, essentially asking to see Cooper’s manager, challenging his right to make such a request. She complained that the city’s dog runs are closed (they are in this *********) and that another park area he suggested nearby was unsafe (it is not). Then, speaking of unsafe, when Christian Cooper took out his phone to record their clash, she warned him she was going to call the police.

“I’m taking a picture and calling the cops,” she says in his video. “I’m going to tell them there’s an African American man threatening my life.”

The way she snarled those words made clear she knew she was lying about Cooper’s being a threat—the ultimate weapon in the white-lady arsenal, given the history of police violently responding to claims about “threatening” black men. She quickly became the subject of social media outrage and soon after was fired by her employer, Franklin Templeton Investments, where she was a vice president.
There’s another subtext to the story that’s bothered a lot of people: While she’s getting her dog Henry under control, Amy Cooper seems to be choking him. He repeatedly yelps in what sounds like pain as she twists his collar instead of putting on the leash. The cocker spaniel rescue organization where she got the dog several years ago stepped in to take it pending an investigation.

ilovepaydays

It’s insane how in less than 24 hours, this woman went from being just a woman living in NYC to going completely viral on Twitter, talked about across all of U.S. news media, had her dog taken away, and is now fired from her investment job.

It’s unreal that she’s never got the memo that they were both in a public park and he had every right to record her. Also, I don’t know of any public walking areas where dogs aren’t required to stay on a leash. What the “Central Park Karen” did was unacceptable.

But I will admit that the mob mentality that went after her makes me a bit uncomfortable. Especially the doxxing. And now this sums up my worst fear about this.

Last edited:

VALuvsMKwan

Wandering Goy
In case you needed to see, as I did, Miss Karen/I mean Amy in action, complete with leashless collar hold:

Bless her heart - she probably thought Christian Cooper was one of her family's "people" and naturally expected deference instead of impudence from him. :rolleyes:

VGThuy

It probably wouldn't be so bad if she didn't smirk and pretty much threaten the man by making sure to emphasize that an "African-American" man was "harassing" her and then once she made the phone call she put on an entire act to try to ensure he got the "usual" treatment. She didn't care about his life, so it made people care less about hers. Not saying it's right, but restorative justice is a hard sell. Also, it seems some people are caring about it in certain situations like how some respondents of that Twitter thread are talking about mob mentality, and one went on about "leftist" Tumblr circles. Let me know when they care about restorative justice in other facets. It's a lot like when people seem to only care about due process when it deals with sexual assault with female accusers and when the accused are men.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
But I will admit that the mob mentality that went after her makes me a bit uncomfortable. Especially the doxxing. And now this sums up my worst fear about this.
The tweet is protected or something.

Anyway, it doesn't bother me because while I was watching, I kept thinking of the women who got Emmet Till killed. She deliberately lied to get someone in trouble and lied in a way that could have been very very bad for him. No one should do that and get away with it.

But doxxing is always wrong.

VALuvsMKwan

Wandering Goy
The tweet is protected or something.

Anyway, it doesn't bother me because while I was watching, I kept thinking of the women who got Emmet Till killed. She deliberately lied to get someone in trouble and lied in a way that could have been very very bad for him. No one should do that and get away with it.

But doxxing is always wrong.

Two words that sum up my disagreement with you - (apologies, wrong first name) Brock Turner.

Last edited:

caseyedwards

I hope amy Cooper goes to prison for harassment, false police report, disorderly conduct, animal cruelty. I hope she goes to jail for a long long time

antmanb

It probably wouldn't be so bad if she didn't smirk and pretty much threaten the man by making sure to emphasize that an "African-American" man was "harassing" her and then once she made the phone call she put on an entire act to try to ensure he got the "usual" treatment. She didn't care about his life [snip]
I can't see the tweets they're locked, but this is what makes me have less than zero fcuks to give about this woman. It was the epitome of white privilege and actively choosing to use it to bring (at best) harm and (at worst) murder on someone and exactly as you say - she smirks in an acknowledgement that she has all the power in that situation and then puts on the a nearly crying voice when she calls 911 to show just what a victim she is. All because she feels entitled to break a rule and has been called out on it?? I hope her life is ruined forever, because she was perfectly happy to live with possibly ending someone else's life over not putting a leash on her dog....somewhere you're supposed to have your dog on a leash.

Spikefan

This article expresses my thoughts on this matter.

VGThuy

This guy must not have paid attention to the news:

rhapsody

Maybe I haven't seen what you're seeing but I have not read anything about her being doxxed. The only information that has gone viral is her name (which wasn't withheld as if she were an anonymous witness or something) and her LinkedIn profile which was public... was her personal phone number and/or living address leaked? Unless it did, what's been circulating about her is not doxxing and I have absolutely no issue with her name going viral along with who formerly (LOL) employed her.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
It’s insane how in less than 24 hours, this woman went from being just a woman living in NYC to going completely viral on Twitter, talked about across all of U.S. news media, had her dog taken away, and is now fired from her investment job.

It’s unreal that she’s never got the memo that they were both in a public park and he had every right to record her. Also, I don’t know of any public walking areas where dogs aren’t required to stay on a leash. What the “Central Park Karen” did was unacceptable.

She's just a woman living in NYC who brazenly weaponized the man's race against him in one of the ugliest manners possible, when he just wanted to birdwatch and practice environmental stewardship without being demeaned and dehumanized.

I count his documentation as one of the best real life instructional videos I've seen regarding this issue. He remained calm while she was ratcheting things up, kept his cool and simply asked her to step away from him. He did not name call or label her, or tell her what she was thinking as happens during the back and forth in some of these videos. She demonstrated the worst of the worst using her very own words and fake cries of desperation. He was reasonable and stopped the video as soon as she finally leashed the dog. It was truly a one sided dramafest.

His video can be used as a very useful tool to address the continuing problem. Those who believe these kinds of things only happen to POC looking for trouble get yet another wake up call. Those at the receiving end of awful behavior by people in public places get a good lesson about how to objectively document the incidents in order to protect themselves.

Today he has done some interviews, making gracious comments and certainly extending her more understanding and consideration than she bothered to show him. He emphatically spoke out against the violence and questioned why anyone would suggest it. He stated he doesn't feel comfortable with her losing her job or dog and that is not what he believes will make real changes moving forward.

She was in a leadership position as a VP, so she backed her employer in a corner regarding her job. Any POC who work for her now have a fantastic case to use for the least little problem that shows her willingness to scheme against them. Maybe the company could have figured out a different resolution, but I also question whether someone who has her level of entitlement would be open to a demotion or other such action (non-supervisory lateral move, etc.) A lot of breed dog rescues have the adopter sign a contract agreeing to return the dog if there is any neglect, abuse or other such issues, so if overemoting to 911 is more important than not choking the dog then that outcome is also predictable.

Doxxers and proponents of violence on social media or via any other avenue are responsible for their own behavior, just as we are for our own actions and comments. I don't agree with them doing it, but it shouldn't have any bearing on whether or not we have a discussion far and wide when these incidents happen.

Last edited:

Fiero425

I hope amy Cooper goes to prison for harassment, false police report, disorderly conduct, animal cruelty. I hope she goes to jail for a long long time
IDK why people are surprised or shocked by something like this! It happens every fk'n day somewhere; some incidents more memorable than others! The top 2 that come to mind without checking dates and places; Charles Stuart in Boston accused a black man of car jacking him and killing his pregnant wife! He implicates his brother by having him take his wallet and maybe the gun used before cops arrive! A couple months later it comes out he wanted the insurance money, maybe $100K to open a restaurant! Right around the same time 30+ years ago, Susan Smith in SC drowned her 2 kids in the back of her car and again blames a black man for taking her car with the babies in the back seat! How she was allowed to live is still beyond me! It goes on all the time somewhere in the Gawd-forsaken country and we should all feel terrible that it's getting worse not better! :judge:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 7, Guests: 5)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information