Racial Profiling & Related Matters (Non-Lethal Version)

ballettmaus

My sister just showed me this person's review of the plantation tour they went on in Louisiana:

WTF??? I'm sorry that telling the truth about slavery on plantations made you feel like you had a tour guide who was a "radical" who was pushing an agenda to make white people feel guilty about slavery. The tour guide was white apparently. :rolleyes: This person said they will go on another tour on "real" plantations. I just cannot with people. This is why people have had enough of this tomfoolery and lose patience with having to "explain" and "teach" very basic lessons about racial relationships and dynamics in this country.
The WaPo had a piece that listed several more comments from reviews. I had a look at the comments to that piece. Some of them seemed almost worse.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Another "good guy with a gun" taking care of business --
The wife of an Arkansas jail administrator was arrested and charged with assault several days after police say she pulled a gun on four black teenagers who were going door to door to raise money for their high school football team.

Police in the eastern Arkansas city of Wynne, about 100 miles northeast of Little Rock, said the incident happened Aug. 7. Police responding to reports of "suspicious persons" found the four children on the ground, with Jerri Kelly, who is white, standing over them holding a gun, Memphis TV station WMC reported.

The officer let the children stand up, and they told him they had been selling discount cards to raise money for a school athletic program. The Wynne School District said two of the four children were wearing football jerseys.
Bill Winkler, who said he has lived in the neighborhood where the incident took place for four decades, said children are typically out this time of year selling discount cards for the football team.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Oh my. :eek:
Cramer, one of five residents vying for three council seats in November’s election, responded to a question at a city candidates’ forum about attracting foreign-born residents to the community with: “Keep Marysville a white community as much as possible.”
After the forum, she expanded on her beliefs, particularly that people of different races shouldn’t get married.

“Because those people don’t know the other side of it,” she said. “For whatever reason, I’ve heard, they love each other, whatever, but there’s also such a thing as remaining single. People don’t necessarily have to get married, and, if they love somebody, love them single. There’s nothing wrong with that.”
“As far as I know, as long as we’ve been here, Marysville has been a white community, a white city,” she said. “… If we have seen a black person here and there, whatever, we’re not bothered by it. I’m not bothered by it.”

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races

A Black DJ who works nights was sleeping in his house in the afternoon when a friend who was at the house inadvertently tripped the security system. He turned the alarm off and went back to bed.

The police showed up and hauled him out into the street in his boxer shorts, and handcuffed him. A cop who knew him showed up and identified him, but as guns were drawn, this could have been lethal. Meanwhile his neighbors are shunning him.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
In a tearful segment that aired on Oklahoma City’s KOCO-TV, morning anchor Alex Housden apologized to her co-anchor Jason Hackett after comparing him to a gorilla during a broadcast Thursday.

The racist comment occurred after the pair reported on a story about a gorilla at the Oklahoma City Zoo.

Housden ended the segment with the comment: “Kind of looks like you,” directed at Hackett.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races

Judicial Politics and Sentencing Decisions

This paper investigates whether judge political affiliation contributes to racial and gender disparities in sentencing using data on over 500,000 federal defendants linked to sentencing judge. Exploiting random case assignment, we find that Republican-appointed judges sentence black defendants to 3.0 more months than similar nonblacks and female defendants to 2.0 fewer months than similar males compared to Democratic-appointed judges, 65 percent of the baseline racial sentence gap and 17 percent of the baseline gender sentence gap, respectively. These differences cannot be explained by other judge characteristics and grow substantially larger when judges are granted more discretion
This is a huge study.

if you are black, and want a shorter sentence, get a Democratic judge.

if you are a woman, and want a shorter sentence, get a Republican judge

ballettmaus

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
I'm reading this interesting article about how liberals are going overboard on calling conservatives racists. The reason it's interesting is that the author is fine with people being called racists when they are doing racists things (i.e., he's not one of those "I haven't got a racist bone in my body" people who deny anything is ever racist). His point is that some conservative ideas are valuable and not racist. He lists 4 of them:

I don't agree with him on point 3 but on the others, I think he does make a reasonable case.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Boys were allowed to have hair longer than mine at my high school in the 1970s. It was not allowed in all school districts, but today in 2019 some still have to take legal action for permission.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)