Racial Profiling & Related Matters (Non-Lethal Version)

ballettmaus

My sister just showed me this person's review of the plantation tour they went on in Louisiana:

WTF??? I'm sorry that telling the truth about slavery on plantations made you feel like you had a tour guide who was a "radical" who was pushing an agenda to make white people feel guilty about slavery. The tour guide was white apparently. :rolleyes: This person said they will go on another tour on "real" plantations. I just cannot with people. This is why people have had enough of this tomfoolery and lose patience with having to "explain" and "teach" very basic lessons about racial relationships and dynamics in this country.
The WaPo had a piece that listed several more comments from reviews. I had a look at the comments to that piece. Some of them seemed almost worse.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Another "good guy with a gun" taking care of business --
The wife of an Arkansas jail administrator was arrested and charged with assault several days after police say she pulled a gun on four black teenagers who were going door to door to raise money for their high school football team.

Police in the eastern Arkansas city of Wynne, about 100 miles northeast of Little Rock, said the incident happened Aug. 7. Police responding to reports of "suspicious persons" found the four children on the ground, with Jerri Kelly, who is white, standing over them holding a gun, Memphis TV station WMC reported.

The officer let the children stand up, and they told him they had been selling discount cards to raise money for a school athletic program. The Wynne School District said two of the four children were wearing football jerseys.
Bill Winkler, who said he has lived in the neighborhood where the incident took place for four decades, said children are typically out this time of year selling discount cards for the football team.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Oh my. :eek:
Cramer, one of five residents vying for three council seats in November’s election, responded to a question at a city candidates’ forum about attracting foreign-born residents to the community with: “Keep Marysville a white community as much as possible.”
After the forum, she expanded on her beliefs, particularly that people of different races shouldn’t get married.

“Because those people don’t know the other side of it,” she said. “For whatever reason, I’ve heard, they love each other, whatever, but there’s also such a thing as remaining single. People don’t necessarily have to get married, and, if they love somebody, love them single. There’s nothing wrong with that.”
“As far as I know, as long as we’ve been here, Marysville has been a white community, a white city,” she said. “… If we have seen a black person here and there, whatever, we’re not bothered by it. I’m not bothered by it.”

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races

A Black DJ who works nights was sleeping in his house in the afternoon when a friend who was at the house inadvertently tripped the security system. He turned the alarm off and went back to bed.

The police showed up and hauled him out into the street in his boxer shorts, and handcuffed him. A cop who knew him showed up and identified him, but as guns were drawn, this could have been lethal. Meanwhile his neighbors are shunning him.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
In a tearful segment that aired on Oklahoma City’s KOCO-TV, morning anchor Alex Housden apologized to her co-anchor Jason Hackett after comparing him to a gorilla during a broadcast Thursday.

The racist comment occurred after the pair reported on a story about a gorilla at the Oklahoma City Zoo.

Housden ended the segment with the comment: “Kind of looks like you,” directed at Hackett.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races

Judicial Politics and Sentencing Decisions

This paper investigates whether judge political affiliation contributes to racial and gender disparities in sentencing using data on over 500,000 federal defendants linked to sentencing judge. Exploiting random case assignment, we find that Republican-appointed judges sentence black defendants to 3.0 more months than similar nonblacks and female defendants to 2.0 fewer months than similar males compared to Democratic-appointed judges, 65 percent of the baseline racial sentence gap and 17 percent of the baseline gender sentence gap, respectively. These differences cannot be explained by other judge characteristics and grow substantially larger when judges are granted more discretion
This is a huge study.

if you are black, and want a shorter sentence, get a Democratic judge.

if you are a woman, and want a shorter sentence, get a Republican judge

ballettmaus

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
I'm reading this interesting article about how liberals are going overboard on calling conservatives racists. The reason it's interesting is that the author is fine with people being called racists when they are doing racists things (i.e., he's not one of those "I haven't got a racist bone in my body" people who deny anything is ever racist). His point is that some conservative ideas are valuable and not racist. He lists 4 of them:

I don't agree with him on point 3 but on the others, I think he does make a reasonable case.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Boys were allowed to have hair longer than mine at my high school in the 1970s. It was not allowed in all school districts, but today in 2019 some still have to take legal action for permission.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
As long as they don't admit any gay students … :rolleyes:
Three sixth-grade boys at a Christian school in Northern Virginia pinned down a black classmate and cut off some of her dreadlocks while telling her her hair was "nappy" and "ugly," she told News4.

Twelve-year-old Amari Allen said the three boys, who she said are white, cut off her hair on Monday. She's a student at Immanuel Christian School in Springfield, Virginia, where Vice President Mike Pence's wife, Karen Pence, teaches part-time.
Immanuel Christian School is an evangelical private school that that explicitly bars its employees from engaging in or condoning "homosexual or lesbian sexual activity" and "transgender identity," as NBC News reported earlier this year.
In the disturbing rant, the woman can be seen jumping up and down at the entrance of the store while screaming the N-word. She continues to shout racial obscenities and threatening messages after she exits. “I would kill a … but the law says I can’t kill the ….,” she yells in the parking lot, directly facing the cellphone camera. “If the law didn’t say I couldn’t kill all the … they’d all be dead.”

Zemgirl

I'm not sure if I should say that this is good news or bad news, but the girl who claimed that her classmates cut off her dreadlocks made up the story - apparently there was some kind of altercation with the boys, but she greatly embellished it. I feel bad for everyone involved, including the girl and her family. I wish this could have been handled without her name becoming public.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
I tend to agree about naming and putting the actual kids in the spotlight over these things, but her grandfather was giving news interviews when it was first reported. So apparently her family thought it was fine to go public. At least they have issued a heartfelt apology and recognized how damaging it is to make this stuff up.

Fiero425

- Amber Guyger, Ex-Dallas Police Officer, Is Guilty of Murder for Killing Her Neighbor -

The case was unusual from the very beginning: An off-duty police officer in Dallas said she came home from work one night last year, and, believing she had found an intruder inside her apartment, shot the man inside.

But it quickly became clear that the officer, Amber R. Guyger, who is white, was in the wrong apartment. And the man she shot was not an intruder, but her neighbor, Botham Shem Jean, a 26-year-old black accountant who was watching television and eating ice cream in the apartment he rented directly above Ms. Guyger’s.

On Tuesday, Mr. Jean’s family braced themselves for the possibility that his death would be treated like many others across the country, in which police officers have been cleared of wrongdoing in the killings of unarmed black men. But that moment never came: A Dallas County jury found Ms. Guyger, 31, guilty of murder, choosing the more serious conviction over a lesser option of manslaughter. ….. :judge:

Update: The sentencing case WENT QUICKLY today AND SHE WAS GIVEN 10 YEARS! :eek:

jenny12

Botham Jean’s family is just the epitome of grace. I am in awe of them. If I were in their shoes, I would not be able to contain my rage.

Fiero425

Botham Jean’s family is just the epitome of grace. I am in awe of them. If I were in their shoes, I would not be able to contain my rage.
It would be warranted since this B!tch decided she could beat this charge instead of accepting a plea! She wasn't ready to take responsibility for what she did and it nauseated me seeing her run and jump into the arms of the BRO! :duh:

Fiero425

A Black DJ who works nights was sleeping in his house in the afternoon when a friend who was at the house inadvertently tripped the security system. He turned the alarm off and went back to bed.

The police showed up and hauled him out into the street in his boxer shorts, and handcuffed him. A cop who knew him showed up and identified him, but as guns were drawn, this could have been lethal. Meanwhile his neighbors are shunning him.
They been talking about it openly of late! Not safe to drive as a Black guy, or go to a restaurant, or even attend a class in some kind of physical activity! A-holes will call the cops in a hot second and these poor slobs are hassled for no damn good reason! :judge:

demetriosj

I'm not sure if I should say that this is good news or bad news, but the girl who claimed that her classmates cut off her dreadlocks made up the story - apparently there was some kind of altercation with the boys, but she greatly embellished it. I feel bad for everyone involved, including the girl and her family. I wish this could have been handled without her name becoming public.

The problem is fake news is salivating over stories like these (whites are hateful racists) and doesn't even bother to check the facts first. They loved the fact in particular that Pence's wife volunteered at the school. Double whammy, or so they thought.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
I disagree because the original articles said the parents filed a police report and wanted to speak to the media about it. So the news is reporting documented information and this happens to be a current hot topic. Obviously they didn't have much problem with Karen Pence at the school if they were paying the pricey tuition to send their kid there.

The real problem rests with the people who make these things up seeking attention or retaliation or whatever other improper justifications they use to lie about such actions.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
I guess it shows how ingrained some of these beliefs are when it gets to the point people are willing to shout out racial epithets in the workplace parking lot.
Book burning on a college campus as a response to a differing opinion? :eek:

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
A statement from Upper Darby School District posted to social media said the teacher was placed on administrative leave pending further investigation. District Superintendent Daniel P. McGarry told USA TODAY Greeley is on leave without pay.

McGarry also said the poster of the video had a third grader in his car while Greeley was ranting. He added other children were watching the confrontation from the school, too.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Several recent incidents:
There is also that weird story about the studio executive who wanted Julia Roberts to play Harriet Tubman, but I guess technically it wouldn't be racial profiling. :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)