R.I.P. John Lewis - Civil Rights icon.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Three A's, T&M, P&C

Congressman John Lewis dies at age 80. Huge loss for the country.

caseyedwards

Very sad news. Seemed like there were rumors recently but they went away. Well just a major loss for America!

DFJ

A life well lived. A huge loss to the US and to those of us who care about civil rights. People like this good man don't come around very often.

Cachoo

I remember when Obama was elected he gave Lewis an inaugural photo that said “Because of you John.” He was a great man and should be lying in state where we can safely socially distance and pay our respects. RIP

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
A giant of a man, John Lewis was. Risked his life for the sake of equality, I hope this country honours his life and efforts by finally achieving the dream Dr. King and Mr. Lewis envisioned.
Name that bridge after him, too.

Susan1

"Following the death of the nation’s leading civil rights activist, who had served in congress since 1987, President Donald Trump shared more than 20 retweets from himself and his political supporters. At around 1 a.m. ET, Trump tweeted a shout out to Fox News host Tammy Bruce, who sat in for Sean Hannity on Friday night.

On Saturday, Trump remained silent on Twitter concerning Lewis’ death. However, The Washington Post reporter Seung Min Kim tweeted out a proclamation letter signed by the president, in which the White House ordered flags to be flown at half-staff on July 18, 2020.

Just after 2 p.m. on July 18, Trump tweeted, “Saddened to hear the news of civil rights hero John Lewis passing. Melania and I send our prayers to he and his family.” "

"he"? AACCKK

Wait - per Occupy Democrats - "Obviously, Trump was not so saddened that he couldn’t have fit in a full round of golf this morning before getting around to posting his condolences."

Last edited:

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
This is a sad day for the country. The conscience of the House has passed away. I hope he lies in state in the Rotunda. One of the few politicians whose basic goodness just shone.

MsZem

In typical deplorable fashion Marco Rubio tweeted a photo of he and Elijah Cummings before removing and changing it to John Lewis. This is the edited tweet but if you scroll someone posted the original. https://mobile.twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1284572127421698050
I'm guessing he wasn't the first to make that mistake:
A well-lived life of good trouble. RIP, John Lewis.

Susan1

I'm guessing he wasn't the first to make that mistake:
Or the only.

But "Rubio and Sullivan weren’t the first to mix up the two men. It happened so often that Lewis even mentioned it in a tribute to Cummings on the House floor after his death.
“Sometimes people would confuse us and say, ‘Hello, Elijah’ to me or ‘Hello, John Lewis’ to him,” Lewis said. “And we would joke about it, we would laugh about it.” "

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
However, The Washington Post reporter Seung Min Kim tweeted out a proclamation letter signed by the president, in which the White House ordered flags to be flown at half-staff on July 18, 2020.
Proclamation issued on 18 July, with flags lowered to half staff for the rest of the day. That’s it? Just the rest of the day? Yep.
...flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions through July 18, 2020.
I seem to remember for Congressional giants like John Lewis, the flags would remain at half-staff until interment.

Last edited:

caseyedwards

How can you not think about the clashing values of defund the police And military and the biggest way DC has to honor somebody is huge amounts of police and military!

DFJ

Watching the service at the Rotunda. What a stunning performance of Amazing Grace.

once_upon

New condo owner
Watching the service at the Rotunda. What a stunning performance of Amazing Grace.
Yes it was.

Where is the vice president? As I understand it the president by protocol doesnt attend - but at least the vp should be there.

Last edited:

Spikefan

Yes it was.

Where is the vice president? As I understand it the president by protocol doesnt attend - but at least the vp should be there.
Pence is in Florida for “vaccine research” (fundraising) and will visit tonight. Trump being the spiteful white supremacist he is will not visit.

once_upon

New condo owner
Pence is in Florida for “vaccine research” (fundraising) and will visit tonight. Trump being the spiteful white supremacist he is will not visit.
Pence was actually doing a press briefing during the funeral service. And trump as he was leaving DC to go to ?North Carolina (I think) said no he won't be going to pay respects.

Both are spiteful, hate filled white men

Sylvia

Wishing I could go back to the Lake Placid JGP
PBS NewsHour's live stream today (can rewind to watch the service):

ETA:
:respec: Dr. Wintley Phipps... what an amazing, powerful, moving performance! VIDEO: https://twitter.com/CBSEveningNews/status/1287819865517166592

Last edited:

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
Beautiful service, marred only by the hypocritical Mitch McConnell dutifully delivered speech. If he really believed any of those words he mouthed, he’d be bringing the House passed Voting Rights bill to the Senate floor.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Maybe he will, if he knows that ahead of time, all his Republican members will vote No.

Moscow Mitch needs some boosts for his relection campaign

But I am not sure whether he would lose or gain votes in KY based on that move.

Maybe he actually respects John Lewis? It is not impossible. They both were in Washington a long time, though Mitch was never in the House.

Mitch voted for the Voting Rights Act back in the day, but, like his party, has moved further right as he has aged.

Quite a few Republicans have spoken well of John Lewis

Quite a few walked across the Edmund Pettus Bridge with him on those yearly celebrations.

It is sad what the Republican Party has come to.

caseyedwards

The house bill is very bad. It’s just way too much control over states and unequal treatment of states too. All states need to be treated exactly the same.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information