R.I.P. Barbara Walters (threads merged)

Sylvia

TBD
Barbara Walters, the trailblazing television news broadcaster and longtime ABC News anchor and correspondent who shattered the glass ceiling and became a dominant force in an industry once dominated by men, has died. She was 93.
Walters joined ABC News in 1976, becoming the first female anchor on an evening news program. Three years later, she became a co-host of "20/20," and in 1997, she launched "The View."
In a career that spanned five decades, Walters won 12 Emmy awards, 11 of those while at ABC News.

NYT obituary by Alessandra Stanley (Dec. 30, 2022):
Barbara Walters, who broke barriers for women as the first female co-host of the “Today” show and the first female anchor of a network evening news program, and who as an interviewer of celebrities became one herself, helping to blur the line between news and entertainment, died on Friday. She was 93. [...]
Ms. Walters spent more than 50 years in front of the camera and, until she was 84, continued to appear on “The View.” In one-on-one interviews, she was best known for delving, with genteel insistence, into the private lives and emotional states of movie stars, heads of state and other high-profile subjects.
Ms. Walters first made her mark on the “Today” show on NBC, where she began appearing regularly on camera in 1964; she was officially named co-host a decade later. Her success kicked open the door for future network anchors like Jane Pauley, Katie Couric and Diane Sawyer.

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard
RIP Baba Wawa.

She also never actually said "If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?". Yet that misinterpretation became stock legend for comedians. R.I.P. Barbara.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information