Qualification to Team Competition at the Beijing Olympics

tony

Based on what we've seen the past few weekends, I don't think South Korea really has a chance at qualifying in a 3rd discipline - Min/Eaton just got beat by the #7 US dance team tonight.

Georgia is looking good for one of the pairs spots. Right now, I'm thinking - top 6, Georgia, Germany, Czech Republic and... Realistically? Hungary, Finland, or Australia.

France - nope; South Korea - not likely; Austria - maybe?; Great Britain - no way; Belarus - can't see them qualifying in dance or pairs TBH. Ukraine's decent pairs team (who would be in the mix) is too young for seniors; Poland won't qualify a man or pairs team; the Crafoords won't qualify for Sweden; Spain's not getting a man's spot; Israel isn't getting a woman's spot with them sending Morris to Nebelhorn and Ichilov/Abecassis won't qualify in dance; Azerbaijan, Netherlands, Slovakia - nope, nope, nope.

I'm not even sure if there is a path for Armenia to qualify. Maybe? They have one man and one woman entered for JGP Poland and no entries on the GP. So, their only chance to earn points is in 2 weeks. Anything's possible, especially on the junior level, and top 10 earn points. Turkey is in the same boat - though their chances of earning points are twice as good as Armenia's - they have men entered in all three of the upcoming JGPs and a woman entered for Poland.
Finland? Not gonna happen. :lol: No pair, and Virtanen isn't competitive at all IMO.

Hungary? It's not going to happen in the mens competition, and Lang likely isn't in contention for the women. So another no even if they get it in dance- which is also questionable.

If South Korea is out, then:

Your top 9, but definitely not Finland or Hungary. Australia? Don't think Craine will escape the << calls and they'd have to qualify in men, women, and dance. Austria, on paper, probably has the best chance then since all they need is Zandron in the top 7 and he's competitive with his numbers (although not at Lombardia).

Maybe there won't be 10 nations with entries in 3+ disciplines.

Karen-W

Finland? Not gonna happen. :lol: No pair, and Virtanen isn't competitive at all IMO.

Hungary? It's not going to happen in the mens competition, and Lang likely isn't in contention for the women. So another no even if they get it in dance.

If South Korea is out, then:

Your top 9, but definitely not Finland or Hungary. Australia? Don't think Craine will escape the << calls. Austria, on paper, probably has the best chance then since all they need is Zandron in the top 7 and he's competitive with his numbers (although not at Lombardia).

Maybe there won't be 10 nations with entries in 3+ disciplines.
Hungary still has time to sub in Schermann for Lang though - and if you look at the top scores over 150 so far this fall, she'd be #7 (only 2 points behind Austria's Schaller who is trying for a 2nd spot) and that's only if Cyprus subs in Kitromilis for Zingas. Of course, Serna and Zingas are both within 5 points of Schaller. Mind, that doesn't take into consideration Craine, Galustyan, or Safonova who I don't think have skated yet this fall.

I would agree, on paper, Austria seems to stand the best chance of qualifying since there are 7 spots up for grabs in the men and Zandron's PB is competitive for that. But, the other problem for Austria is that they don't have a dance team with the minimums. The Hubers are skating junior this season still and they still don't even have the Jr Worlds RD TES. Sure, they could compete in the team event with only 3 disciplines but would they if they don't have a dance team qualified with senior TES mins?

michalle

If France qualifies, can they bring an extra dance team for the team event. Sorry if this has been covered umpteen times already.

michalle

Thanks! That's too bad, I guess I was hoping there was a way another French dance team could go.

Karen-W

You know, looking at the scores so far, I take back my statement that Min/Eaton aren't likely to qualify. Their 168 & change tonight puts them in 4th of the teams that have competed so far this season. Scores rose a LOT from LPIDI - 11 point increase for Min/Eaton, 13 point increase for Green/Parsons, 12 point increase for Pate/Bye, similar increases for both Israeli teams. Only McNamara/Spiridonov and Kerry/Dodds didn't experience a similar jump - and M/S would have if not for his unfortunate boot issue during the RD. Either the judging was really suspect at both of this week's events or we can expect something similar for G/PS and Harris/Chan at Nebelhorn next week. Either way, Min/Eaton do still have a chance and should be competitive with the Taschlers, Finns, H/C and K/R for the last spot.

Elka

What about the citizenship issue? Is Eaton going to get his before the Beijing OG? If AR is not going to get hers, there is an other Lithuanian team.

Orm Irian

If AR is not going to get hers, there is an other Lithuanian team.
I know there's Ramanauskaite/Kizala for Lithuania, but they're a relatively new team; she switched to dance from singles quite recently after a back injury meant she couldn't jump any more and IIRC they've only done one or two international competitions. Are there any others?

Karen-W

Just a heads up... the paths for France and Australia to qualify just got a bit easier. Cyprus didn't sub in Kitromilis - Zingas posted on her IG story that she was on a flight to Amsterdam this morning. And Galustyan is no longer on the entries list for the ladies - which means Armenia cannot qualify for the team event at all.

Frau Muller

Sailing the Seven Ultra-Cs!
... Cyprus didn't sub in Kitromilis - Zingas posted on her IG story that she was on a flight to Amsterdam this morning. ...

Wishing Zingas well so that she can earn Kitromilis her chance to skate at the Olympics..assuming Kitromilis will win their Nationals, if there’s a Nationals, aka, The Battle of the Cypriots on Ice. 😏

skatingguy

Golden Team
Only the top six qualify though right? I don’t think it’s any major surprise who the top six are going to be
10 teams qualify for the Olympic Team Event - the World Team Trophy has six. Hence the suspense for Nebelhorn will be which countries can make themselves eligible because at the moment only 8 countries are even eligible for the event.

AngieNikodinovLove

10 teams qualify for the Olympic Team Event - the World Team Trophy has six. Hence the suspense for Nebelhorn will be which countries can make themselves eligible because at the moment only 8 countries are even eligible for the event.

The Olympic team event qualifies 10 countries? How did I forget that? That’s way way way too many when only like four are competitive for a team.

If I was a member of the eighth or ninth or 10th qualifying team I’d be like I’m just gonna go out there and do double jumps to conserve my energy for my actual event. I mean even the Summer Olympics 10 teams don’t qualify for the team relays correct?

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
I mean even the Summer Olympics 10 teams don’t qualify for the team relays correct?
Actually, any country with 4 runners who meet the qualifying standard could compete in the relays. There were 15 countries for the mens 4x100, 17 for the women, and 16 for the mixed 4x4. The heats take care of who makes the final.

Dobre

What about the citizenship issue? Is Eaton going to get his before the Beijing OG? If AR is not going to get hers, there is an other Lithuanian team.
I think the answer is that we do not know in either case.

seabm7

South Korea does have a fast track citizenship for Olympic-bound atheletes, which was heavily used for the 2018 Winter Olympics. The Korea Ice Hockey Association spearheaded the way for hockey players, and other foreign born athletes got benefited, too.

This time Korea does not have the ticket for men's ice hockey event, and the ticket for women's ice hockey event has not been finalyzed yet. The question is wheather KSU alone (without the Korea Ice Hockey Association) has enough leverage in KOC and the Korean government to activate the process again. Since there is already a precedence, KSU can argue to go for it.

In my personal opinion, if Yura & Daniel can get hold of the dance ticket at Nebelhorn, they have a chance.

Karen-W

After the short programs there are exactly ten countries that in line for the team event.

🇷🇺 🇺🇸 🇨🇦 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇮🇹 🇨🇿 🇬🇪 🇩🇪 🇺🇦
Not ruling France, Korea, Austria, Belarus or Israel out quite yet. France still has a reasonable shot in Women, same with Austria in Men - too many inconsistent skaters ahead of Serna and Maierhofer respectively and they're still within striking distance of top 6/7 (or 7/8 if the Swedish Olympic Committee refuses to send Tajlegard and Majorov to the Olympics because of their insane criteria). Korea still has a shot in dance; Belarus is in a good place in Women and just place away from a pairs spot; and Israel is still within striking distance in both pairs and dance.

Also, of note, Czech Republic's jr man is sitting in 4th after the JGP Men's SP yesterday so they could easily leapfrog ahead of Germany in overall points by the end of the day with a good result.

skatingguy

Golden Team
Not ruling France, Korea, Austria, Belarus or Israel out quite yet. France still has a reasonable shot in Women, same with Austria in Men - too many inconsistent skaters ahead of Serna and Maierhofer respectively and they're still within striking distance of top 6/7 (or 7/8 if the Swedish Olympic Committee refuses to send Tajlegard and Majorov to the Olympics because of their insane criteria). Korea still has a shot in dance; Belarus is in a good place in Women and just place away from a pairs spot; and Israel is still within striking distance in both pairs and dance.

Also, of note, Czech Republic's jr man is sitting in 4th after the JGP Men's SP yesterday so they could easily leapfrog ahead of Germany in overall points by the end of the day with a good result.
Certainly. Far from settled. The Koreans seem to be the most likely possible team given they are only 1 spot out of qualifying in dance, and are also 8th in the standings at the moment. For France, more than 10 points back of 6th looks like it might be too much to ask.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Hosts get first dibs on the five-spot Additional Athletes Quota, for which they poached one Pairs spot and one Dance spot, but by qualifying in each discipline at Worlds, China doesn't qualify for any.

In the past, they've used few of these for the TE, but this year might be tight, and the final standings could determine if #10 doesn't get a spot, because #8-10 each need a team, not a singles skater.

If the RD standings hold, neither ITA or GBR will earn a second spot at NHT, so the top sIx N/I GER Dance team(s) will get spots. ETA: Fake news.

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Once again a reminder that those spots are not held for anyone. It’s still 4 spots available regardless of how the teams do that are looking to ‘confirm’ second spots.
I don't know why I can't get this through my head...

It's only when nations give spots back that the pool expands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information