Qualification to Team Competition at the Beijing Olympics

giselle23

It shouldn’t be about titles but, rather, about who is performing the sharpest now…in the run-up to departure for Beijing…who’s hitting the strongest jump combos in the daily run throughs.
I don't think anyone on the selection committee has been observing how the skaters have been doing since Nationals. Or, at least, that process isn't mentioned in the selection criteria.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love!
I don't think anyone on the selection committee has been observing how the skaters have been doing since Nationals. Or, at least, that process isn't mentioned in the selection criteria.
But they should! You can bet that the Russian Fed is observing closely…day by day…hour by hour…and won’t name TE skaters until the last-possible minute.

Karen-W

I assume she's headed to Los Angeles for Team USA processing first.

I assume they're coming to LA for team processing. Haven't seen anything from C/B or H/B indicating when they plan on leaving, though my guess is all three teams are traveling together.
Guess both Sylvia and I were wrong and HubDon are heading directly to Beijing from Montreal - https://instagram.com/stories/splas...ce=ig_story_item_share&utm_medium=share_sheet

yeslek

Karen skated really well at Nationals (definitely improved from her fall international season) and I for one would have no problem if she's selected to skate in the team event. ETA - and I like both Mariah and Alysa as skaters, too. :)

:D
Really well and did not win.

Karen-W

My guess is she’s doing the free and maybe no Alyssa?
The chances of the USA splitting the Women are next to zero. We know that Nathan & Vincent are on the flight today, as are K/F and Karen. We know HubDon left today.

But, playing along with the idea the USFS might be splitting the Women rather than Dance, my guess is that Karen is doing the SP. The skaters/teams who are probably skating the SP/RD have all departed for Beijing. The only skater/team that most of us think will be doing the TE who hasn't left yet is ChoBat. We'll see when they take off and probably have a better idea of what's happening based on that information.

Karen-W

I believe it's MT/M for the short program in Canada, and probably J/R for the long. Every other National Champion I think has planned to do both programs, including Keegan doing up to 4 programs in 7 days or whatever the span is now.

So, don't take departure times as any sure idea. Maybe some skaters want to be part of the opening ceremony or get there whenever they can ;)

ETA- also hearing Hanyu is in the event and it might have already been reported somewhere but that's the plan at least for now.
Can't believe this has been ignored in all the #FlightChicking2022 chatter, but this was a pretty juicy post from one of our resident insiders...

NBC must be salivating at the notion of a Nathan/Yuzuru matchup in the TE SP to start their broadcast coverage off next Thursday!

I'm a little surprised at M-T/M being used in the SP instead of J/R. I'd flip those assignments because J/R's SP scores have been appreciably better than M-T/M's all season.

tony

But it just doesn't fcuking glide
Can't believe this has been ignored in all the #FlightChicking2022 chatter, but this was a pretty juicy post from one of our resident insiders...

NBC must be salivating at the notion of a Nathan/Yuzuru matchup in the TE SP to start their broadcast coverage off next Thursday!

I'm a little surprised at M-T/M being used in the SP instead of J/R. I'd flip those assignments because J/R's SP scores have been appreciably better than M-T/M's all season.
Take it as tentative for now, because the rules allow them to switch things up at the last minute/between segments anyways. But I'm fairly certain Canada is going to stick to the plan I mentioned. And I would guess Yuzuru would be used in the SP but it's again something I'm not 100% on. Japan should be on the podium this time around so it's another likely Olympic medal for his participation.

skipaway

Marinaro has trouble with the lifts…so short program probably better.

Debbie S

I wouldn't assume they are heading directly to Beijing. "Beijing, here we come" applies even if they're stopping in L.A., since Beijing is their ultimate destination. ;)
Madi H's latest IG story says they are taking their "second flight" from Zurich to Beijing, so they didn't go through L.A. Maybe they are traveling with the U.S. athletes that have been training/competing in Europe.

Karen-W

Madi H's latest IG story says they are taking their "second flight" from Zurich to Beijing, so they didn't go through L.A. Maybe they are traveling with the U.S. athletes that have been training/competing in Europe.
Oh, but that wasn’t the best part of the IG story... it was the stealth recording of Zach "singing", lol!

On another "hmmmmm..." note... The NBC TE commercial features Nathan, Karen, Mariah, ChoBat and HubDon. Make of that what you will, lol.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Oh, but that wasn’t the best part of the IG story... it was the stealth recording of Zach "singing", lol!

On another "hmmmmm..." note... The NBC TE commercial features Nathan, Karen, Mariah, ChoBat and HubDon. Make of that what you will, lol.
I just don't see any way Nathan is doing both parts of the TE between the timing and his injury.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love!

And I just saw another NBC ad with Jason Brown (for the Feb 3 TE show)!

sheetz

If Google Translate is correct Mariah's Art on Ice bio says she's participating in both the Olympic team and individual events.
Sie wird eine der Stützpfeiler des starken US Teams an den Olympischen Spielen sein und wird im Einzel- wie auch im Teamwettkampf antreten, wo sich die USA Gold erhofft.

Translation: She will be one of the mainstays of the strong US team at the Olympics and will compete in both individual and team events, where the US hopes to take gold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information