Protests in Iran

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
Do you have an idea how to support the brave women in Iran? I want to do something - and the topic is not really discussed that much in the media so I have no idea about how to help.

Dobre

Tehran:

----

"Today #Iran’s President Raisi went to #Alzahra university, one of the least political universities which is why it was chosen for his to visit. This is how he was received… protesters are chanting: We don’t want a corrupt system, we don’t a murderer guest (meaning Raisi)"

----

"Iran's channel news bulletin at 21:00 was hacked briefly. Chants of women, life, and freedom on a Screen calling for nation-wide rise up."

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
how to help people in Iran:

Dobre

Per this post,

"Tehran's notorious Evin Prison, where many political activists are held, is seeing unprecedented unrest tonight. Residents nearby report hearing the sound of gunshots and loud bangs, with smoke plums billowing out of the prison tonight."

(I'm not familiar with this poster. This is the recent update in a long thread with various posts from previous days).

ETA: Another post about the prison.

Last edited:

Asli

It appears Elnaz Rekabi was flown to Iran two days prior to the scheduled date. The website IranWire alleges she would be taken directly to prison from the airport, according to euronews.

Various tweets show a post on her instagram account apologising for not having had time to put on her hijab because she was called suddenly or some such thing. Other translations say it had fallen off. She doesn't say where she had disappeared in the meantime.

Just checked her bio - Elnaz Rekabi is the 2021 World bronze medalist in the combined event. She doesn't have support from her national federation and covers her own expenses. She's also a three-time Asian Games medalist and in these Asian Games where she competed in the final without a hijab, she finished 4th.

Last edited:

Asli

Elnaz Rekabi: Crowd greet Iranian climber who broke hijab rule on return

There's a crowd chanting "Elnaz - hero" in front of the airport. :glamor:

It looks like thanks to widespread international coverage, she got off by just giving a TV interview apologising for the "incident".

Noone cares if she had to apologise. For the first time in more than 40 years an Iranian athlete has competed without the hijab. It won't be surprising if the next time their entire up-and-coming women's voleyball team accidentally drop their headscarfs at the start of the competition.

Last edited:

Dobre

Do you think there is a chance for protesters to succeed in Iran?
Oh, I'm the wrong person to ask as I have very little background on the area. This poster follows Iran regularly if you are looking for someone that might have an educated perspective:

It certainly seems that the protestors are facing very real danger and also that this current movement is a powerful one relative to others that have occurred in the country.

Last edited:

skatingguy

Iran Protesters Refuse to Back Down as 15,000 Face Execution

As thousands continue to rally across Iran's capital city of Tehran, defying a brutal crackdown by Iranian forces, on Tuesday, the country's parliament overwhelmingly voted in favor of the death penalty for protesters.

The decision came after recent calls from within the Iranian government to punish protesters in a way that would quell the demonstrations. In a letter signed by 227 out of 290 members of parliament cited by Iran's state-run Press TV on Sunday, lawmakers asked to teach those arrested "a good lesson" so as to deter others from joining them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information