Projected Start Orders

Thread starter #1
Ratings
According to the GP Announcement,
  • The starting order in the Short Program/Short Dance segment will be the reverse order of the ISU World Standing placements.
  • In the case of any tie, there will be a draw to determine who skates first.
  • Skaters/Couples, who have not received any ISU World Standing points will be listed at the bottom of the ISU World Standing list in country order
I don't see any of the skaters on the RC roster at Coupe de Nice, so the current relative WS points should hold among the competitors.

Here are the projected starting orders:

Ladies
First Group:

1. Valeria Mikhailova (151)
  2. Anastasia Galustyan (42)
  3. Nicole Schott (41)
  4. Mae Berenice Meite (35)
  5. Kaori Sakamoto (25)
  6. Carolina Kostner (23)
Second Group:
  1. Mariah Bell (22)
  2. Wakaba Higuchi (14)
  3. Elena Radionova (12)
  4. Elizabet Tursynbaeva (11)
  5. Mirai Nagasu (10)
  6. Evgenia Medvedeva (1)

Men
First Group:

1. Andrei Lazukin (82)
  2. Denis Ten (33)
  3. Nam Nguyen (24)
  4. Grant Hochstein (22)
  5. Misha Ge (21)
  6. Deniss Vasiljevs (20)
Second Group:
  1. Keiji Tanaka (17)
  2. Dmitri Aliev (16)
  3. Daniel Samohin (15)
  4. Nathan Chen (10)
  5. Mikhail Kolyada (6)
  6. Yuzuru Hanyu (1)

Pairs
First Group:

1. Suto/Boudreau-Audet (25)
  2. Castelli/Tran (17)
  3. and 4.: Draw between Ashtakova/Rogonov(12) and Ziegler/Kiefer (12)
Second Group:
  1. Marchei/Hotarek (10)
  2. Seguin/Bilodeau (8)
  3. Stolbova/Klimov (7)
  4. Tarasova/Morozov (1)

Dance
First Group:

1. Popova/Mozgov (61)
  2. Kuzmichova/Sinicyn (38)
  3. Agafonova/Ucar (24)
  4. Lauriault/Le Gac (20)
  5. Parsons/Parsons (13)
Second Group:
  1. Stepanova/Bukin (11)
  2. Gilles/Poirier (10)
  3. Guignard/Fabbri (8)
  4. Shibutani/Shibutani (4)
  5. Bobrova/Soloviev (1)

Thread starter #2
Ratings
With Tanaka being replaced by Kvitelashvili, this is the new projected starting order for Men:

Men

First Group:
  1. Andrei Lazukin (82)
  2. Moris Kvitelashvili (41)
  3. Denis Ten (33)
  4. Nam Nguyen (24)
  5. Grant Hochstein (22)
  6. Misha Ge (21)
Second Group:
  1. Deniss Vasiljevs (20) -- moves to second group. Keiji Tanaka (17)
  2. Dmitri Aliev (16)
  3. Daniel Samohin (15)
  4. Nathan Chen (10)
  5. Mikhail Kolyada (6)
  6. Yuzuru Hanyu (1)

Sylvia

Club comp. season is underway & I'm not ready yet
Ratings
http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/gprus2017/

Men - Short Program Starting Order:
StN. Name Nation
Warm-Up Group 1
1 Andrei LAZUKIN RUS
2 Moris KVITELASHVILI GEO
3 Denis TEN KAZ
4 Nam NGUYEN CAN
5 Grant HOCHSTEIN USA
6 Misha GE UZB
Warm-Up Group 2
7 Deniss VASILJEVS LAT
8 Dmitri ALIEV RUS
9 Daniel SAMOHIN ISR
10 Nathan CHEN USA
11 Mikhail KOLYADA RUS
12 Yuzuru HANYU JPN

Ice Dance - Short Dance Starting Order:
StN. Name Nation
Warm-Up Group 1
1 Betina POPOVA / Sergey MOZGOV RUS
2 Nicole KUZMICHOVA / Alexandr SINICYN CZE
3 Alisa AGAFONOVA / Alper UCAR TUR
4 Marie-Jade LAURIAULT / Romain LE GAC FRA
5 Rachel PARSONS / Michael PARSONS USA
Warm-Up Group 2
6 Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN RUS
7 Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER CAN
8 Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI ITA
9 Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI USA
10 Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV RUS

Pairs SP Starting Order:
StN. Name Nation
Warm-Up Group 1
1 Sumire SUTO / Francis BOUDREAU-AUDET JPN
2 Marissa CASTELLI / Mervin TRAN USA
3 Miriam ZIEGLER / Severin KIEFER AUT
4 Kristina ASTAKHOVA / Alexei ROGONOV RUS
Warm-Up Group 2
5 Valentina MARCHEI / Ondrej HOTAREK ITA
6 Julianne SEGUIN / Charlie BILODEAU CAN
7 Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV RUS
8 Evgenia TARASOVA / Vladimir MOROZOV RUS

Ladies - Short Program Starting Order:
StN. Name Nation
Warm-Up Group 1
1 Valeriia MIKHAILOVA RUS
2 Anastasia GALUSTYAN ARM
3 Nicole SCHOTT GER
4 Mae Berenice MEITE FRA
5 Kaori SAKAMOTO JPN
6 Carolina KOSTNER ITA
Warm-Up Group 2
7 Mariah BELL USA
8 Wakaba HIGUCHI JPN
9 Elena RADIONOVA RUS
10 Elizabet TURSYNBAEVA KAZ
11 Mirai NAGASU USA
12 Evgenia MEDVEDEVA RUS

Last edited:

missing

Ratings
I really do understand that it doesn't matter, but the ISU World Standings drive me crazy at least once a year.

Why are Bobrova and Soloviev ranked Number 1, with the Shibutanis ranked 4, Papadakis and Cizeron ranked 7 and Virtue and Moir ranked 8?

And in what actual walk on it breathe on it admire the sun and the moon on it world are Sui and Han 11th?

Thread starter #6
Ratings
I take it yours are rhetorical questions, but the answer is simple: whoever who has the highest number of points is top-ranked, just like in tennis and many other sports where top athletes take time off, can't compete due to injury, or intentionally limit the competitions in which they compete to earn points.

You might put it another way: look at how strong V/M must be to, with one season + one C/S worth of points to jump to 8th, when every other team ranked above them but P/C has two seasons worth of points counting, and P/C only have two seasons worth of championship points (factored by .7) from two seasons ago when she couldn't compete because of a concussion, and they're as high as 7th. Look at how strong Sui/Han are to be 11th when she had two surgeries and couldn't compete until Worlds last year, and their last full season's points are factored by .7.

Sylvia

Ratings

missing

Ratings
I take it yours are rhetorical questions, but the answer is simple: whoever who has the highest number of points is top-ranked, just like in tennis and many other sports where top athletes take time off, can't compete due to injury, or intentionally limit the competitions in which they compete to earn points.

You might put it another way: look at how strong V/M must be to, with one season + one C/S worth of points to jump to 8th, when every other team ranked above them but P/C has two seasons worth of points counting, and P/C only have two seasons worth of championship points (factored by .7) from two seasons ago when she couldn't compete because of a concussion, and they're as high as 7th. Look at how strong Sui/Han are to be 11th when she had two surgeries and couldn't compete until Worlds last year, and their last full season's points are factored by .7.
I truly do understand most points is first, etc. (and on a separate note will be curious to see where Serena Williams is ranked when she returns to tennis). I'd simply distribute points differently. I'd weigh World Championship results much higher than they currently are, differentiate between Grand Prix events and Grand Prix Finals, reconsider which international competitions should factor in the rankings, and put a greater emphasis on the most recent season's overall results.

The current ranking system is clearly flawed and the fixes don't seem all that difficult to me.

Thread starter #9
Ratings
World Championships are worth 3x a GP and 1.5x GPF. GP's are worth 50% of GPF; skaters can only count the highest 2/3 if they make GPF. CS are worth .75 of a GP, and regular internationals are worth .60 of a GP. Fewer placements in internationals and CS get WS points than GPs.

missing

Ratings
World Championships are worth 3x a GP and 1.5x GPF. GP's are worth 50% of GPF; skaters can only count the highest 2/3 if they make GPF. CS are worth .75 of a GP, and regular internationals are worth .60 of a GP. Fewer placements in internationals and CS get WS points than GPs.
Whatever the current formula is (and I cheerfully admit I don't know or understand it), it is flawed. The standings don't reflect reality.

Virtue/Moir competed in six international events in 2016-17, including Worlds, 4 Continents, and Grand Prix Final. They won all six events. Ranking them 8th in the world seems nonsensical to me.

Thread starter #11
Ratings
The WS reward skaters who : it rewards skaters who compete. a first at Worlds is worth 3x a first in GP, and 1.5x a first at GPF, and GPF is worth twice GP, and you can only count two/three GP's per season. A CS is worth .75 of a GP and WS points are awarded to a smaller number of places.

Thread starter #12
Ratings
They didn't compete in 2016-17 -- their choice -- and they didn't get any points for that season. WS in ISU terms is a 1.7-season to 2.7-season formula, depending on where in the the season it is, and systems are not created around outliers.

Sylvia

Ratings
Is there a thread where we are discussing the un-retirement of Misha Ge?
He never retired officially (this subject came up after he received 2 GP assignments in late May): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-18-olympic-season.101315/page-2#post-5077687
When Misha spoke to Jackie Wong on IN's IceTalk podcast after Worlds, he made it clear that he hasn't officially retired yet... it will depend on whether or not the joints inside his injured ankle allow him to train at the level he wants (he had to get injections of lubricants and painkillers this past season).
Misha Ge posted this photo of his taped-up ankles and a message on his Instagram before he competed at Autumn Classic International last month: https://www.instagram.com/p/BZSpVb5BpBB/?hl=en&taken-by=mishage8

Last edited:

Sylvia

Ratings
With Tanaka being replaced by Kvitelashvili,
Article in English (dated Oct. 16) about Keiji Tanaka's withdrawal from Rostelecom Cup due to injuring a "muscle in his right hip-pelvic area": https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...res-pelvic-muscle-to-miss-rostelecom-cup.html
Tanaka was told by doctors he would need three weeks to recover, ...
According to officials, the 22-year-old Tanaka sustained the injury after falling on the ice in a jump attempt during practice before an international event [Nepela Trophy] late last month. He continued light training but was not able to regain competitive form.
"I will focus on healing and hope to recover in time for the Cup of China," he said of the Nov. 3-4 competition in Beijing, the third of six events in the series.
ETA:

Denis Ten "sustained the severest injury in [his career... an] ankle ligament rupture injury on August 10, just before the ice show in South Korea" and debuted his programs just last week at Cup of Nice: http://www.inform.kz/en/denis-ten-comes-back-to-ice-to-dimash-s-song_a3075363

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)