Presidential Politics 2024

Dobre

Going to go ahead & post this because I'm sure the topic will come up eventually/again & I won't be able to find the article then.

The Dangerous Illusion of a Presidential Third Party in 2024​

caseyedwards

Wall Street journal poll
Desantis 52
Trump 38

Reagan was last republican to beat incumbent democrat. Last 2 democrats won reelection. On one level Desantis is having a great moment but it’s almost impossible to beat an incumbent. So while he’s having a moment now it could be better to wait until 2028.

Bidens big vulnerability is the fact that he’s a fanatical open borders extremist. But Americans don’t really like deporting anyone. So they may not Biden being a fanatical open borders extremist but mention one thing about deporting anyone all moderates opppse that.

Last edited:

caseyedwards

I don't see a thread about 2024, but here are some reminders to be wary of R candidates beyond Trump -

DeSantis expected to sign permitless carry gun law in FL. Yeehaw -

https://www.tampabay.com/news/flori...constitutional-carry-gun-law-desantis-renner/

DeSantis flip-flops on COVID vaccines -

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nichol...l-critic-heres-what-happened/?sh=5a84828b7487

Further abortion bans likely in FL beyond the 15-week ban:

It’s true trump is not now in line with the base on vaccines!
All mainstream media said vaccines were necessary.
Trump policies by buying huge quantities of yet created vaccines funded the whole vaccine campaign
So then vaccines were created and trump takes all credit

But then democrats and some republicans said if you don’t take a vaccine you can’t work or travel or whatever! That turned many republicans against vaccines

Pink Cats

It’s true trump is not now in line with the base on vaccines!
All mainstream media said vaccines were necessary.
Trump policies by buying huge quantities of yet created vaccines funded the whole vaccine campaign
So then vaccines were created and trump takes all credit

But then democrats and some republicans said if you don’t take a vaccine you can’t work or travel or whatever! That turned many republicans against vaccines

One of the trends among Republicans that I find increasingly worrying is their attitude toward vaccinations. Historically around 50% of children died before they reached the end of puberty. The primary causes of these deaths were poor environmental and sanitary conditions and the spread of infectious diseases. Vaccinations are our biggest weapon against infectious diseases.

sk8pics

I read that article on DeSantis and the stuff in it was all the stuff the guy at the blood bank was spouting last week. Sigh.

caseyedwards

One of the trends among Republicans that I find increasingly worrying is their attitude toward vaccinations. Historically around 50% of children died before they reached the end of puberty. The primary causes of these deaths were poor environmental and sanitary conditions and the spread of infectious diseases. Vaccinations are our biggest weapon against infectious diseases.
Unless I am mistaken people who get polio vaccine do not get polio. Not do get it but just a mild version of it. And this applies to other diseases as well. So with Covid vaccine it doesn’t mean no Covid just lesser Covid

once_upon

Enough
I meant suffer from polio after getting the vaccine
Efficacy rates for 2 dose inactivated polio vaccines is 90%. 3 dose inactivated doses is 99% - 100%, you are considered FULLY vaccinated after 4 does. Polio will not be eradicated until we have 100% of world's population fully vaccinated and we no longer have cases

Polio is a person to person transmission.

Coronavirises seem to jump from animals/fowl to person and can be transmitted back to animal. The varients are difficult to eradicate. As someone who currently has covid - I am grateful for vaccines.

Pink Cats

Efficacy rates for 2 dose inactivated polio vaccines is 90%. 3 dose inactivated doses is 99% - 100%, you are considered FULLY vaccinated after 4 does. Polio will not be eradicated until we have 100% of world's population fully vaccinated and we no longer have cases

Polio is a person to person transmission.

Coronavirises seem to jump from animals/fowl to person and can be transmitted back to animal. The varients are difficult to eradicate. As someone who currently has covid - I am grateful for vaccines.

Additionally, not all people can be vaccinated for a given disease, due to either an allergy or being immunocompromised. For those people, their best defense is for everyone else to be vaccinated.

caseyedwards

The same things were written about his campaigns in 2016 and 2020. He fired All the people who originally ran both. Or he drops out tomorrow?

Karen-W

Neither sexy nor sultry, but loving life!
The same things were written about his campaigns in 2016 and 2020. He fired All the people who originally ran both. Or he drops out tomorrow?
Not really. No one was saying his kids didn't back him in 2016. The only Trump family member who has consistently been rumored to be lukewarm, at best, for both Presidential runs is Melania. I do think this time around is different because of the very clear stepback by Ivanka & Jared. It's too early, IMO, to tell how Don Jr and Eric really feel about this run.

He won't drop out anytime soon, though. He's too stubborn for that.

caseyedwards

Not really. No one was saying his kids didn't back him in 2016. The only Trump family member who has consistently been rumored to be lukewarm, at best, for both Presidential runs is Melania. I do think this time around is different because of the very clear stepback by Ivanka & Jared. It's too early, IMO, to tell how Don Jr and Eric really feel about this run.

He won't drop out anytime soon, though. He's too stubborn for that.
I was more focusing on the moribund part than the kids part. Both of his campaigns in 2016 and 2020 were considered total jokes by all “experts” and maybe they were it was just that any republican would get 47 or 48% of the vote. Good or bad campaign

As for the kids Trump jr and Eric were on tv a lot in 2016 and 2020 but didn’t really do anything. Few people are more hated in America than all his kids anyway so them not being so public-good? But it’s all probably a wash anyway

Even though his whole life revolves around drugs and prostitution Hunter Biden is considered better than all trump kids!

caseyedwards

Something of interest. Trump is saying any politician who has a no exceptions policy on abortion bans is dumb which is angering some pro life people who don’t support any exceptions. Making him a centrist in republican party ok the issue

McConnell is doing a campaign rally with Biden. McConnell wants to destroy trump. If Biden had McConnells support for re-election that means he brings all his slaves with him so that’s like 10 more republican senators. Which makes probably anyone but trump back out of 2024. And trump runs and loses again. Then everyone will agree trumpism is dead

Last edited:

Karen-W

Biden’s classified documents, Oy. Yes it seems to have been a mistake and he immediately and voluntarily returned them but it makes him look equivalent to Trump and it’s a ginormous gift to the GOP.
Maybe worse? I'm not entirely sure. On the one hand, from the small amount of information available so far, it doesn't seem to have been as MANY classified documents as Trump had at Mar-A-Lago, which is good; but he also didn't have any right or reason to have any of those documents since he was only VP, which is bad.

It feels like it's going to be a wash with the electorate, IMO.

PRlady

Administrator
Maybe worse? I'm not entirely sure. On the one hand, from the small amount of information available so far, it doesn't seem to have been as MANY classified documents as Trump had at Mar-A-Lago, which is good; but he also didn't have any right or reason to have any of those documents since he was only VP, which is bad.

It feels like it's going to be a wash with the electorate, IMO.
He had a lot of foreign policy duties under Obama. No one is questioning why he had them when in office, the point is he was careless about giving them back. And he certainly didn’t defy a subpoena.

But I agree it will be a “plague upon both your houses.”

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Biden’s classified documents, Oy. Yes it seems to have been a mistake and he immediately and voluntarily returned them but it makes him look equivalent to Trump and it’s a ginormous gift to the GOP.
I haven't seen any commentators from left side who have said that Biden deserves a free pass on this. And should be held accountable if he has done anything wrong. But to suggest that this is equivalent of Trump is nowhere in the same ballpark. Biden has cooperated when the issue was realised and I daresay will fully cooperate with any investigation. Trump tried to claim that he could declassify documents with a thought. And they had to get a subpoena and warrant to get those documents back from Maralago. And how many boxes were there?

Wyliefan

Slow, dull, and G-rated
So many things can and do happen during an election cycle -- especially one with Trump involved -- I wouldn't be surprised if the electorate forgot all about it by 2024.

Karen-W

So many things can and do happen during an election cycle -- especially one with Trump involved -- I wouldn't be surprised if the electorate forgot all about it by 2024.
There is that too. We're close to 22 months out from the 2024 election, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information