Practice Reports 2019 Skate America

thvudragon

Usova's Apprentice
Stepanova and Bukin’s Finnstep was terrible. They must be undertrained because it was bad, even for them.

peibeck

Simply looking
Schevchenko/Eremenko nice flow, difficult lifts and interesting transitions in their FD, but music rather dull.

Stepanova/Bukin stars of this session, but program (for me) doesn't build to the ending. Their first run through of the pattern she had a really bad wobble, but second time they did it looked much better.

Zahorski/Guerrairo still seem unpolished to me. After 5-6 seasons together, I think their synchronicity should be a lot better.

Lauriault/LeGac, great lifts, but a bit slow. He's so much better than her. :shuffle:

Smart/Diaz, no one around me understands his costume or their dance, but they do perform it well. Having ridden in the elevator this morning with Adria, I can attest he is tiny, but those overalls make him look 40 lbs heavier.

thvudragon

Usova's Apprentice
One thing that stood out to me is how even this first group looked. Stepanova and Bukin did not look like World #4 skaters. Zahorski and Guerrero looked much stronger. They skated bigger, with much better speed. Their edges were much deeper in comparison. Even L&LG looked as strong.

Doggygirl

Going through FS withdrawal after GPF
Is the ice dance group leaving the ice right now the first group, or the second group? (just got home from work, and probably missed everything!!)

ETA: One more group! Yay!

Ka3sha

Thanks to all of you for practice notes!

One thing that stood out to me is how even this first group looked. Stepanova and Bukin did not look like World #4 skaters. Zahorski and Guerrero looked much stronger. They skated bigger, with much better speed. Their edges were much deeper in comparison. Even L&LG looked as strong.
Because her skating skills are quite weak :shuffle:
And it becomes extremely noticeable when watching them live

taz'smum

as @Jesche says - мама knows best
Take into account injuries, you don't know what has been going on behind the scenes.
Stepanova has been unable to train properly for most of the off season as she has had a serious back injury, so they will not have had enough time to prepare.
They are far from the only ones whose preparations have been impacted by injury, but that is part and parcel of elite sports, so the skaters don't like to make excuses.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
One little ant has a red dress on. She's my favorite.

Sadly her ant partner is the only male ant not wearing all black. Maybe we could make a trade so I could follow two teams rather than just the one.

kittyjake5

Not only is the camera work lousy on Sports Gold but I can hear chatting in the background but u know me I am not one to complain 😜

peibeck

Simply looking
I don't get why anyone would choose a SD to a musical that lasted about 5 performances on Broadway, sorry F/B. (Although I do like their skating, despite the "finger pistol" choreography. )

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
I noticed Tiffani and that guy she skates with (😉) looked really strong too.

And Ponomerenko is all grown up compared to watching him when he was a little kid just starting out. 😁

peibeck

Simply looking
Green/Parsons better than I expected from what I've seen on the early comps. FD seems well practiced but the music is snoozeville.

Hubbell/Donahue's Star is Born FD has some good moments, is nicely balanced with a variety of speed and transitions, but doesn't to build musically to a compelling finish like it needs.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
I thought Green & Parsons looked good for such a new team. I know there is controversy about the lack of height difference. But until they started skating, it didn't stand out. But while doing their run-through, they looked the same height! I think Carolyn just needs to get down in her knees more and they'll be fine.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Men's short program skate order (I know this is the wrong place for it but I don't know the right place):

#SkateAmerica Men SP order
GROUP 1 Koshiro Shimada
Roman Savosin
Alex Krasnozhon
Michal Brezina
Kazuki Tomono
Alexei Bychenko
GROUP 2 Junhwan Cha
Boyang Jin
Dmitri Aliev
Jason Brown
Nathan Chen
Keegan Messing

thvudragon

Usova's Apprentice
H&D’s Free Dance doesn’t feel very cohesive. Alibi takes up too much of the program. It almost feels like they’re using it to fill space, but over 2 minutes of space.

Wyliefan

Trying to appease the skategods
Has anyone considered interviewing S/D about their FD? They've been skating it since August, and there's still not a soul who knows what it's about!

peibeck

Simply looking
Konstaninova not having the greatest practice, meanwhile Scherbakova is nailing almost everything, including a 4z/3t.

Tuk looks solid (several good 3a already) as does Eunsoo Lim, whose FS is lovely.

Leung looks ready despite the last minute invite.

Poor Mallet looks a bit lost. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information