Practice Reports 2019 Skate America

peibeck

Simply looking
Please feel free to post your impressions, voids, and dish about the temperature of the arena, why there aren't enough bathrooms, and why there should be a shuttle (even if you are staying in the attached hotel) here! :p

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I did a trial run of the walk from the hotel to the arena yesterday and it was exhausting. I'm going to need a golf cart to transport me. :p

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
I’m going head to breakfast and then over there. I really hope I’m dressed warmly enough. Otherwise I’ll have to come back and put on more layers!

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
This is the practice order for today. http://www.isuresults.com/schedules/gpusa2019_PracticeGroupsAndMusicRotation.pdf

Music Rotation Men
Please Note: The practice rotation for Thursday Oct. 17 does not correspond to the starting order of the competition.
The practice will be in accordance to the starting order from the 2nd practice day on.

Men Thursday Oct. 17 Group 1 11:35 - 12:15 Nation SP or FS Keegan MESSING CAN 1 Boyang JIN CHN 2 Michal BREZINA CZE 3 Junhwan CHA KOR 4 Dmitri ALIEV RUS 5 Roman SAVOSIN RUS 6
Men Thursday Oct. 17 Group 2 12:15 - 12:55 Nation SP or FS Alexei BYCHENKO ISR 1 Koshiro SHIMADA JPN 2 Kazuki TOMONO JPN 3 Jason BROWN USA 4 Nathan CHEN USA 5 Alexei KRASNOZHON USA 6
as of: 15.10.2019

Music Rotation Ladies
Please Note: The practice rotation for Thursday Oct. 17 does not correspond to the starting order of the competition.
The practice will be in accordance to the starting order from the 2nd practice day on.

Ladies Thursday Oct. 17 Group 1 14:45 - 15:25 Nation SP or FS Veronik MALLET CAN 1 Yi Christy LEUNG HKG 2 Eunsoo LIM KOR 3 Stanislava KONSTANTINOVA RUS 4 Anna SHCHERBAKOVA RUS 5 Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA RUS 6
Ladies Thursday Oct. 17 Group 2 15:25 - 16:05 Nation SP or FS Wakaba HIGUCHI JPN 1 Kaori SAKAMOTO JPN 2 Mako YAMASHITA JPN 3 Karen CHEN USA 4 Amber GLENN USA 5 Bradie TENNELL USA 6

Music Rotation Pairs
Pairs Thursday Oct. 17 Group 1 10:00 - 10:40 Nation SP or FS Ekaterina ALEXANDROVSKAYA / Harley WINDSOR Cheng PENG / Yang JIN Zoe JONES / Christopher BOYADJI Daria PAVLIUCHENKO / Denis KHODYKIN
Pairs Thursday Oct. 17 Group 2 10:40 - 11:20 Nation SP or FS Camille RUEST / Andrew WOLFE Ashley CAIN-GRIBBLE / Timothy LEDUC Jessica CALALANG / Brian JOHNSON Haven DENNEY / Brandon FRAZIER

Music Rotation Ice Dance
Ice Dance Thursday Oct. 17 Group 1 13:10 - 13:50 Nation RD or FD Marie-Jade LAURIAULT / Romain LE GAC Sofia SHEVCHENKO / Igor EREMENKO Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN Tiffani ZAGORSKI / Jonathan GUERREIRO Olivia SMART / Adrian DIAZ
Ice Dance Thursday Oct. 17 Group 2 13:50 - 14:30 Nation RD or FD Laurence FOURNIER BEAUDRY / Nikolaj SORENSEN Hong CHEN / Zhuoming SUN Christina CARREIRA / Anthony PONOMARENKO Caroline GREEN / Michael PARSONS Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE

Wyliefan

Trying to appease the skategods
If H/D practice their short, please report in detail. We need to know what we're in for here.

peibeck

Simply looking
I'm wearing a sweatshirt and am not finding the arena cold.

People are hanging banners as well.

mpal2

NBC Gold practice cam!

Stand up and do something stupid in the rink if you're there. I'll wave hi from the comfort of my couch since I called in sick today. :D

peibeck

Simply looking
Hey dumb bitch in section 116, turn the flash off your canera. This has been a public service announcement.

DobrinFan

Java Vegas is the place to be right now. Rukavisin, Lambiel, Team Montreal and coaches! Saw Mishin on my way here too!

mpal2

I'm not that good at computer programming but I have friends. I'm going to ask them to write a ***** that randomly picks other music when anyone tries to play a skating warhorse in an arena. Better yet, prevent them from buying and downloading it to begin with.

meggonzo

Who are the pairs in this practice group?
n/m I see the groups/times are in missing's post above!

peibeck

Simply looking
Aussies lifts dynamic but travel slow across the ice. She's struggling with the jumps.

Peng/Jin great speed, flow, lifts, throws.

Pavliuchenko/Khodykin, first time seeing live. Very impressive. She struggled on sbs jumps early, but has settled in.

Jones/Boyadji very crashy twists. Lifts better than I expected. Throws not solid.

thvudragon

Usova's Apprentice
The Brits look so insecure. His feet are scary to watch.

The Russians looked great. Her extension is amazing. I liked their Tron free, even if it was a bit derivative.

Ping & Jin looked secure in everything but the salchows. They didn’t even practice them together. Everything else looked strong. She didn’t land a single clean 3 sal. He landed 3.

The Aussies were pleasant. Good elements. Severely lacking in speed. Some good throws, good sbs jumps.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
I'm in my warmest work clothes and a cardigan. I'm okay temperature wise but may break out the hat and gloves later. (I'm sitting in my assigned seat also 103.)

On the contraband front: they allowed my backpack and I got in 3 bars and a zip lock of nuts, no problem. They allowed my water bottle and said we can bring in water. Saw a concession stand being set up. Didn't walk the whole arena so there may be more I didn't see.

Harley & Katia were better than I expected. They are slower than a top couple but move well and have decent unison for a team with their ranking. I can see them moving up over time.

The British team seems to move better when their music is on. She did fall on nothing during the run through. (Freak accident, but it seemed to throw them for a loop)

The Chinese team impressed me almost immediately before I figured out who they were.

The Russian team seemed off. Jetlag?

Teams were doing partial runthroughs or full ones without the harder elements.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
The skaters on my computer screen are teeny tiny.

I hope the men are wearing lots of different colors (shades of black don't count as different colors), so I can figure out who is who in their practice session.

toddlj

Not "social distancing" just "physical distancing"
The skaters on my computer screen are teeny tiny.

I hope the men are wearing lots of different colors (shades of black don't count as different colors), so I can figure out who is who in their practice session.
I know! Where did they put the camera, in the back row of the nosebleeds? I could sort of see Ashley Cain... but Haven Denney looks like a tiny ant on my screen. :D

peibeck

Simply looking
Denney/Frazier have not looked this good in years, which is nice to see. Very solid on the throw triples. How competitive the sbs passes will be....

Cain/LeDuc solid and very polished on every element. She struggled on the sbs elements a bit. Sigh.

Calalang/Johnson, their "skating as one" as Uncle Dick would say are superb. If only Jessica could get the sbs elements. She did land a solid 3th lutz though. Gorgeous lifts.

Ruest/Wolfe have nice chemistry, lifts are solid, most of the jumps good in practice, I just think their programs don't make them stand out.

just tuned in

The practice camera is great because it gives a sense of flow and ice coverage that we do not get from the regular broadcast where the camera follows the skaters' faces around the rink.

thvudragon

Usova's Apprentice
Cain and LeDuc cover a lot of ice. I can see why the judges are starting to take a liking to the. They’re going the Hubbel and Donahue route - be tall, skate fast and strong, get noticed. Their long isn’t that great, but they performed well.

Calalang and Johnson look super :smokin:. Their jumps looked shaken. More misses than hits, both sbs and solo. Throws looked small and shakey. She has so much charisma though, and he has muscles...

Denney & Frazier look very strong. Big throws. Big lifts. SBS jumps looked strong. More hits than misses. I shouldn’t like their Lion King program, but I can’t help it!

Ruest and Wolf were pleasant. Clean elements, and nice to look at. Program is a booooorrreeee.

Erin

I weirdly like Denney and Frazier’s Lion King program...:shuffle:
I loved their Lion King program years ago and it ended up being the only program of theirs I liked, so I don't find it weird at all to like this one. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Last edited:

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Messing marked through basically every jump I think (he was marking a big chunk of his program and I kind of lost track of him on this feed), but he gets really good ice coverage. November Rain forever!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information