Post Brexit Thread (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagabond

So what was the point of that amendment, as the Government will just ignore it? :wall:
So deal will go through if backstop removed after Brady amendments go through by majority of 16...
There's no guarantee that any other deal will go through. Macron and others have said that the existing deal will not be renegotiated.

I think it's so that 317 MP's will be on record as having cried out, "No, Theresa, turn away from that iceberg!" before it was too late. :yikes:

taz'smum

I think it's so that 317 MP's will be on record as having cried out, "No, Theresa, turn away from that iceberg!" before it was too late. :yikes:
Yep, the fascist coup is well under way!!

They will need to implement the martial law that has been hinted at by the government when the people who don't understand what leaving with No deal really means find out the hard way! The people will revolt when the supermarket shelves are bare.

I will probably need to change my request for a French resident's permit to a request for asylum! đŸ˜±

Sterling is tanking nicely at this news! :yikes:

Louis

So deal will go through if backstop removed after Brady amendments go through by majority of 16...
There's also no guarantee that the ERG and other hard Brexiteers will not stab May in the back at the last minute. The vote today does not bind them to accept the agreement, even if the EU deletes the backstop entirely. May could go to Brussels and waste time negotiating "alternative arrangements" to the backstop, only to have them vote against the deal with no time remaining, giving them the crash-out they want. Johnson, Rees-Mogg, etc. cannot be trusted. All they have to do is waste time and lead people on until the 29th of March, especially now that the Cooper amendment was rejected. The legal default -- that no one wants but everyone agreed to, thinking it will never happen -- gives this small group what they want.

These "alternative arrangements" are vague, especially given that all alternatives have been explored. It seems like the UK is offering to pay for one more year of transition period in the hopes that a magic solution will emerge in that year. I can't see the EU agreeing to that. This is not going to be a quick fix.

There's also the bigger issue that the UK is asking the EU to screw Ireland, a member state, for the advantage of a soon-to-be non-member state.

antmanb

What parliament should be doing is rallying round a majority to force the revocation of Article 50 to prevent a no deal Brexit.

If Jeremy Corbyn wasn't a completely useless obstructive cnut, that is what he would be doing. It wouldn't surprise me if he's completely happy to join Rees-Mogg and Johnson on the crash out bus.

Lorac

I almost cried reading this article:
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/the-backstop-isnt-just-about-trade-is-that-so-hard-to-understand-britain/ar-BBSZvDx?ocid=ientp

It's beautifully written and sums up so many things that hard Brexiteers either just don't get, or perhaps more terrifyingly just don't care about.
Unfortunately I think you are right in regards some people just not caring - as far as they are concerned the issue is 'over there somewhere' and doesn't impact them. Many have just forgotten how bad it use to be and how long it took for a fragile peace to be won. It will be destroyed if a hard Brexit takes place or a no deal Brexit and I am growing more fearful by the day to be honest.

Vagabond

Riots After a No-Deal Brexit? Save the Queen
Reports of a scenario to save the queen and senior members of her family came to light as the deadline for Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union loomed. With fewer than 55 days until the formal divorce, now set for March 29, the country has been flooded with news of emergency preparations in the event no deal is reached.
The article suggests that they might seeks shelter offshore in their ancestral homeland of Scotland. I suppose that if things got really difficult, they would try to use their broader family connections with Denmark, Germany, Greece, etc. to get EU passports. :unsure:
The evacuation plan has a no-deal Brexit as a prerequisite, so it could be abandoned if Mrs. May is able to negotiate a deal with Brussels that will win Parliament’s approval this month.

If not, all bets are off.
:watch:

libecha

The Russians could return the favor of offering asylum like George V did for the Romanovs in 1917. . .oh wait.

taz'smum

So May is set to go back to the EU with her plans for the NI border.
There will be a team of Unicorns đŸ¦„đŸ¦„đŸ¦„ instead of a hard border...:lol:

So my predictions. The 2nd time TM puts her deal to a meaningful vote, it will be defeated by the 2nd largest amount in history. So TM will have a brainwave for her 3rd meaningful vote, she will go back to the EU to ask to renegotiate the NI border....:yikes:

Though actually, I am expecting Corbyn to vote for her deal this time around, as he has probably worked out that he will get his customs union by doing this, as it will be the only solution to the NI border problem. Everyone is forgetting that her withdrawal arrangement defines nothing of the future deal, all is up for grabs!

Oh happy days !! :wall::scream:

Still no news of my resident's permit, 3 months and counting....:(

My friend has decided to apply for French citizenship, but the first available appointment to kick off the citizenship process is not until 2020!!!:eek:

Louis

My friend has decided to apply for French citizenship, but the first available appointment to kick off the citizenship process is not until 2020!!!:eek:
The consulates in the UK are overwhelmed with Brits trying to acquire dual citizenship. Changing my address -- from one London address to another London address -- took ten months for the Italian consulate to process. The wait for passport applications must be approaching two years at this point; it was already a year before Brexit.

I saw a study that 10% of Brits living outside of Northern Ireland are entitled to an Irish passport. If I were Ireland, I'd adopt US-style tax on worldwide income to makes some :bribe: on this. The people claiming Irish citizenship are (probably) not the ones who voted for Brexit, but it seems wrong to me to (1) screw over Ireland, economically and with the border, and (2) then use Ireland to give yourself the advantages of staying in the EU ("having your cake and eating it, too") by claiming an Irish passport.

allezfred

Baby Jolly Man Face
Staff member
I saw a study that 10% of Brits living outside of Northern Ireland are entitled to an Irish passport. If I were Ireland, I'd adopt US-style tax on worldwide income to makes some :bribe: on this. The people claiming Irish citizenship are (probably) not the ones who voted for Brexit, but it seems wrong to me to (1) screw over Ireland, economically and with the border, and (2) then use Ireland to give yourself the advantages of staying in the EU ("having your cake and eating it, too") by claiming an Irish passport.
Ah, they're suffering enough. Why would we begrudge them a little passport? ;)

Amusingly enough I believe there were some English British people who thought they were entitled to an Irish passport by virtue of being British and had their applications rejected. :lol:

taz'smum

The consulates in the UK are overwhelmed with Brits trying to acquire dual citizenship. Changing my address -- from one London address to another London address -- took ten months for the Italian consulate to process. The wait for passport applications must be approaching two years at this point; it was already a year before Brexit.
I hope this only applies to citizenship applications, as my passport needs renewing!

I thought I was good until the end date January 2020, but oh no I am not.
My passport is for 10 years and 3 months, so is only good until October apparently, as you need to have 6 months left on your passport for lots of travel post Brexit, and they count the passport as only being valid for 10 years from the start date!
So I need to renew my passport now if I wish to travel to Moscow in May, to be sure of having the 6 months left on my visa.

Louis

I hope this only applies to citizenship applications, as my passport needs renewing!
My Italian ID card took nine months. Fortunately, my passport and ID are on separate expiration schedules, and both are valid for international travel.

Italian passport renewal is an absolute mess (at least from abroad) and usually takes 3-4 months, minimum. It was so bad last year that people en masse started applying for emergency travel documents because they couldn't get a consulate appointment to renew their normal passport, and the consulate had to completely shut down all systems and go back to manual operations / triage.

US passport renewal, at least in my experience, was easier abroad than in country, but there's no "Brexit effect" on that.

Good luck!

Lorac

Well I gotta say I totally agree with Donald Tusk on this - there was not one iota of a plan from the Leave side during the campaign - not one.

Donald Tusk: Special place in hell for Brexiteers without a plan

Dip into the comments below the article at your peril - though I must say there seem to be more Remainers having their say than in previous articles as usually the Brexit bully boys attack every Remainer comment.

Miezekatze

My British colleague successfully obtained German citizenship (as of October 2018), but he started the process pretty much right after the Brexit vote. Apparently lots of Brits in Germany did the same, if they met the necessary prerequisites.

Vagabond

My British colleague successfully obtained German citizenship (as of October 2018), but he started the process pretty much right after the Brexit vote. Apparently lots of Brits in Germany did the same, if they met the necessary prerequisites.
Lots of Brits in Britain did too. :shuffle:

It helps keep their options over, in case Brexit does happen and they want to move elsewhere for career, educational, or other personal reasons.

Lorac

Lots of Brits in Britain did too. :shuffle:

It helps keep their options over, in case Brexit does happen and they want to move elsewhere for career, educational, or other personal reasons.
None of my friends here in the UK have applied for other passports as none of them - including myself - are entitled to any EU based citizenships. Yes living somewhere for many years can give you an option to claim citizenship of another country but being born and raised in the UK (excluding NI) with ancestry based in the British Isles means very few Brits are able to claim citizenship elsewhere - basically they are screwed!!

Vagabond

None of my friends here in the UK have applied for other passports as none of them - including myself - are entitled to any EU based citizenships. Yes living somewhere for many years can give you an option to claim citizenship of another country but being born and raised in the UK (excluding NI) with ancestry based in the British Isles means very few Brits are able to claim citizenship elsewhere - basically they are screwed!!
I suppose one's perceptions depend on whom one knows. I have known quite a few people British people with a spouse, parent, or grandparent with EU nationality. And ancestry based in one British Isle is particularly helpful for getting an EU passport. ;)

Regardless, here is an article discussing paths to EU citizenship for Britons not resident in the country.

Note that the article says, "Germany only allows dual nationality with other EU states, meaning that Britons who become German after Brexit would have to renounce their UK citizenship." This is why there was a rush to apply for German citizenship two years ago.

wickedwitch

Note that the article says, "Germany only allows dual nationality with other EU states, meaning that Britons who become German after Brexit would have to renounce their UK citizenship." This is why there was a rush to apply for German citizenship two years ago.
That doesn't seem completely right. Much of my father's family, including me, has dual US/German citizenship. Obviously, the US is not part of the EU. And it seems many of them are claiming citizenship under the same rule my family did -- decedents of those who lost their citizenship during the Holocaust.

taz'smum

Dual nationality is hard to prove. So unless you tell the authorities you have dual nationality, how would they know?

Vagabond

That doesn't seem completely right. Much of my father's family, including me, has dual US/German citizenship. Obviously, the US is not part of the EU. And it seems many of them are claiming citizenship under the same rule my family did -- decedents of those who lost their citizenship during the Holocaust.
Germany changed its Nationality Law in 2000, so you may have acquired it under a different system. I believe that there is a difference, though, between those who have dual U.S.-German citizenship from birth and those who acquire German citizenship by means of an application.

And renunciation of U.S. citizenship may be treated differently as a matter of German law from how it is treated in U.S. law.

wickedwitch

Germany changed its Nationality Law in 2000, so you may have acquired it under a different system. I believe that there is a difference, though, between those who have dual U.S.-German citizenship from birth and those who acquire German citizenship by means of an application.

And renunciation of U.S. citizenship may be treated differently as a matter of German law from how it is treated in U.S. law.
I acquired citizenship in the past 5 years. So unless it's changed between then and now, it's the same system. And when we got it, there was no mention from anyone about any expectations of giving up our US citizenship.

According to wikipedia, dual citizenship is allowed for those claiming German citizenship in this manner: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_nationality_law#Dual_citizenship
If a person, or their qualified descendants, receives restored citizenship under Article 116 par. 2 of the Basic Law (Grundgesetz) that states former German citizens who between January 30, 1933, and May 8, 1945, were deprived of their German citizenship on political, racial, or religious grounds may re-invoke their citizenship (as if it had never been lost), and may hold dual (or multiple) citizenship.[16]. Such restored citizens need not have ever lived in Germany.

taz'smum

So here we are, less than 50 days before Brexit D day, and yet absolutely zero action from our politicians.
No news on when a meaningful vote is going to happen, so we can safely assume that can will be kicked down the road until the end of February. :wall:
That will leave just 29 days to sort out this impossible mess. :gallopin1
So all those who think No Deal will not happen are dreaming.
Stopping ' No Deal' would require positive action from our politicians, something that is conspicuous in it's absence!

allezfred

Baby Jolly Man Face
Staff member
Well the tactic was predictable - blame the EU, blame Ireland for a glorious Brexit not happening. Never thought I would see a modern European country descend into madness in the space of two years where they are stockpiling food and medicine because of a choice they made.

Miezekatze

I acquired citizenship in the past 5 years. So unless it's changed between then and now, it's the same system. And when we got it, there was no mention from anyone about any expectations of giving up our US citizenship.

According to wikipedia, dual citizenship is allowed for those claiming German citizenship in this manner: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_nationality_law#Dual_citizenship
Yes, but that's a special case with such "restored citizens". My colleague from Britain has had absolutely no connection to Germany other than having lived and worked here for 10 years, so in his case, he would have had to give up his British citizenship if he hadn't managed to obtain German citizenship before Brexit. So he was very happy it worked fast enough ;) But he qualified for becoming a German citizen by meeting the requirements of having lived and worked there long enough, speaking German, passing the naturalization test, etc.

taz'smum

The latest is that the meaningful vote on TM's deal will now be delayed until the end of March, the ultimate can kicking exercise!
At which point, TM's deal will still not be accepted, so that will leave a choice between No deal or No Brexit, with No Deal being an even bigger catastrophe, as nothing at all will have been put in place by then!
So either we will splat out of the EU with spectacular consequences, or an 11th our withdrawal of Article 50 will happen, possibly as late as minutes before the midday deadline of 29th March!!

Oh how proud I feel of my country's politicians at this moment in time :wall:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)