Post Brexit Thread (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorac

Ratings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRyA44QqBco&feature=youtu.be&t=5m32s

I quite enjoy Farage getting booed at the end here.

And look at Mr. 123 to the right - he's enjoying a good 'ole facepalm there. Oh, he also happens to be a Lithuanian heart surgeon. Though we must remember, that according to Nige, almost everyone involved in the EU hasn't ever really had a "real job".
He was beyond condescending in that speech - honestly he is so full of himself it makes me sick. And Mr 123 looks like he has a severe headache.

antmanb

Ratings
Yep I'm definitely going through the humour phase this afternoon because that John Oliver youtube was hilarious. He really summed it up well :rofl:

Loves_Shizuka

Ratings

Lorac

Ratings
I'm sure I've asked you this before, but do you mind my wondering where in the Midlands you are?
Outskirts of Cannock - which is officially in South Staffs but family still lives in Wolves where I was born and I work a lot in Brum. My area had a high turnout - 77.8% and 64.8% of those voting to leave :( - which is why I don't really say how I voted to neighbours and people I interact with on a regular basis and why I could certainly state that immigration was huge here as that was all nearly everyone talked about in the run up to the vote - many times in a derogatory manner :(.

Loves_Shizuka

Ratings
Cannock - which is officially in South Staffs but family still lives in Wolves where I was born and I work a lot in Brum. My area had a high turnout - 77.8% and 64.8% of those voting to leave :( - which is why I don't really say how I voted to neighbours and people I interact with on a regular basis and why I could certainly state that immigration was huge here as that was all nearly everyone talked about in the run up to the vote - many times in a derogatory manner :(.
Ah OK. I was in Cannock last week. I'm in Brum, and have lots of family in Lichfield. I live in a fairly mixed area, very Labour, whilst being near some very pro-leave/Ukip parts of the world.

It doesn't really surprise me the Mids in general has gone for Leave. There is a very high rate of immigration round these parts, and so many locals I know can talk of little else.

Like your area, Bimingham generally had a very high turnout - in fact the highet turnout of the whole referendum.

antmanb

Ratings
I grew up in the East Midlands - Maggie Thatcher's birthplace no less and the results in that area were all 60/40 leave with around 78% voter turn out. Talking to friends that are still in the area immigration was all they talked about too. But that's been the topic du jour for as long as I can remember, including when I was an immigrant and they couldn't work out if I was a "paki" or a "greasy dago".

antmanb

Ratings
Is the immigration of EU folks or is it of others?
People seem to have a lot of issues with the Polish immigrants that have come to the UK, but in reality, i've overheard too many people (and i'm not exaggerating - i've heard minimum 10 conversations) reclaiming Britain for the British and "now lets get working on getting rid of the mosques".

That unforgivable Syrian refugee poster has sparked up the anti-muslim feeling in these parts, and I'm in fairly liberal Manchester.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Ratings
People seem to have a lot of issues with the Polish immigrants that have come to the UK, but in reality, i've overheard too many people (and i'm not exaggerating - i've heard minimum 10 conversations) reclaiming Britain for the British and "now lets get working on getting rid of the mosques".

That unforgivable Syrian refugee poster has sparked up the anti-muslim feeling in these parts, and I'm in fairly liberal Manchester.
*shudder*

Loves_Shizuka

Ratings
In Birmingham, both.

I live near quite a sizeable Polish community, and further down the road is a small Romanian and Bulgarian population.

But, round here and further afield, the biggest immigrant group is probably Pakistani, followed by Somali, Eritrean and Indian.

And if we're going to get down to it, it's these groups most people have most issue with. Plainly speaking, Muslims (though of course, not everyone from these countries is Muslim, but hey, who cares for details eh!)

Lorac

Ratings
In my experience it is all types of immigration and it has gotten gradually worse over the years. Back in the 50's and 60's we had a huge influx of Jamaican and West Indians, followed by Immigrants from the Indian sub-continent in the 70's and 80's and in recent years Eastern European. I posted way back in the original thread about how a client - I am a complementary massage therapist - ranted for the entire 60 minute massage about how - and I paraphrase 'we should vote Leave so we could keep the Pakis out' :eek::rolleyes:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Ratings
In Birmingham, both.

I live near quite a sizeable Polish community, and further down the road is a small Romanian and Bulgarian population.

But, round here and further afield, the biggest immigrant group is probably Pakistani, followed by Somali, Eritrean and Indian. And if we're going to get down to it, it's these groups most people have most issue with.
So my question is, are those non-European immigrants there because of EU policies?

Also a technical question. Reading a story in the Washington Post about the Tories replacing Cameron it says that the public doesn't choose, the party "rank and file" choose. Now what the heck does that mean? :lol:

antmanb

Ratings
So my question is, are those non-European immigrants there because of EU policies?
My guess is no EU policies had nothing to do with that. The Pakistani and Indian populations being complained about are almost certainly British born and at least third and even fourth generation British born.

Also a technical question. Reading a story in the Washington Post about the Tories replacing Cameron it says that the public doesn't choose, the party "rank and file" choose. Now what the heck does that mean? :lol:
I think that the Tory party votes from within it's own leadership - I'm not sure how far down they go, but I don't think they give every paid up member a vote like the labour party do - I'd have to check though....but "rank and file" usually means the ordinary poeple and not the leadership so it goes against what i thought happened.

ETA: apparently there is already a wikipedia page for this leadership vote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_Party_(UK)_leadership_election,_2016

The Conservative members of the House of Commons effectively get the list of candidates down to two and then it goes to all general members of the conservative party - so i guess that is all paid up members.

Last edited:

Loves_Shizuka

Ratings
'we should vote Leave so we could keep the Pakis out' :eek::rolleyes:
Yea. Essentially, this is what it's all about.

The Pakistani community, the wider Muslim community and Islam is the REAL issue here. Or at least one of the main factors in many (certainly not all) voting Leave.

It doesn't matter that leaving the EU essentially has no effect on such groups. People don't care or understand that. if there's anything they can do to influence a lessening of immigration, they will vote for it. What I think many believe is that this is the flood gate opening - or closing if you like. The thinking being, that if we leave the EU, then we can control who does and does not come into the UK at all. So whilst Brexit directly affects those from Europe, there's a general wish amongst some in this country that this is just the start of a total reshuffle of British society - i.e that we can send lots of non-white people away, regardless of where they're from, because now "we have our country back". Add in the migrant crisis, the rumblings of Turkey joining the EU, and you have people believing that Brexiting is the start of getting rid of Islam in the UK. Sounds outrageous, I know, but this is literally the thought process for many people right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)