Positive drug test by Russian figure skater has forced a delay of Olympic team medals ceremony

becca

The results are provisional because she was allowed to compete. Until a determination is made whether or not she should have been banned the ISU/IOC can't finalize the results. If she's banned then her placement would, I assume, be removed and the skaters behind her would move up a spot in the standings. Same with the TE.
Yes but the top three results are not provisional so it’s not the same thing.

Karen-W

Firedancer

Please, let them keep speaking up and out about this whole situation. Interesting quotes from Donohue and Bates. I get the feeling that they're not going to remain silent about the questions of doping that have obviously existed and been whispered about for many years.

I hope they do keep speaking up and that skaters from other countries join them. Maybe then something can actually change.

bardtoob

I understand what it is and what it represents. That doesn't make it any less sexist or demeaning.
The only reason I have a problem with it is that Karen is a relatively common name. Otherwise, it is just another name for the antebellum term "Miss Ann".

BTW this is the classic conflict between intersectional identities. Anti-racists and anti-sexists fighting among themselves when neither have the power to change their condition but can certainly make each other more miserable and gaining nothing in the process 🤣

Last edited:

VALuvsMKwan

Wandering Goy
The only reason I have a problem with it is that Karen is a relatively common name. Otherwise, it is just another name for the antebellum term "Miss Ann".

BTW this is the classic conflict between intersectional identities. Anti-racists and anti-sexists fighting among themselves when neither have the power to change their condition but can certainly make each other more miserable and gaining nothing in the process 🤣
Earlier today I thought of "Miss Ann" in terms of this discussion and privileged White women. So glad you brought it here.

bardtoob

Earlier today I thought of "Miss Ann" in terms of this discussion and privileged White women. So glad you brought it here.
To be fair, we should also mention the Jim Crow era Mister Charlie, which is typically called a Ken or Kevin today.

It amazes me that there were "common" terms for these ideas before there were theories. I guess, in this way, the necessity to cope was the mother of invention.

Last edited:

Carolla5501

"Karen" is a sexist and demeaning term. Not even Pat Lipinski deserves to be labeled with it.
I have very good friends who were named Karen by their parents. And the sexist term is your spin on it. They’re nice women. What is demeaning is the fact that you have decided to attach a label to a name that doesn’t mean that at all.

So how about we say overedge is sexist and demeaning just because of your name?

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie
Just wanted to give a good journalist I know a shout-out - @cholla you've been sitting on a hundred stories and witness statements you have chosen not to publish because they're either not yours to tell or the interviewees have changed their minds.
Wow thank you for all the compliments! It's true I have had to make a choice: be trusted by the athletes or write (sometimes) click baits and earn money. Frankly it was an easy choice as I have been an athlete myself. Also, as a former sport psychologist I'm in the right place to know the damage than can be done in athletes' heads. It doesn't mean I sugar coat everything I write, I just try to remain fair. And the girls in my team are free to write anything they want as long as it doesn't cross the line of an athlete saying "this is off the record".

Nikki Lee

Interesting look at skating history:

Each skater was assigned a designated weight - called a 'set'. Skaters who didn't make weight were docked money out of their paychecks and sometimes threatened with being sent home. Some skaters wouldn't eat for three days before the weigh-in. Others would pile on clothing to tip the scales. Many took laxatives to lose weight. Many thought the more alcohol they drank, the less weight they'd gain."² The lengths many professional skaters resorted to in order to keep their paycheques and jobs are largely undocumented. They weren't subject to drug tests."
"

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information