Positive drug test by Russian figure skater has forced a delay of Olympic team medals ceremony

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story

Louis

Private citizen
Will the skater in question be allowed to practice and compete in their individual event, pending investigation? Or… ?

I have to say that I’m going to be really suspicious if this happens in pairs. :shuffle:

Karen-W

The earlier article upon which this one is based, from InsideTheGames https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1119022/beijing-2022-figure-skating-medal-delay says this:

A situation involving Russian Olympic Committee (ROC) and the international doping authorities is believed to be the cause of the delay, insidethegames understands.

It is believed the problem refers to a drugs test conducted before Beijing 2022.

So, let's not start speculating that China's covid protocols are potentially knocking MishGal out of the Olympics.

Yuri

Russia's Sport-Express has a lengthy article on this developing situation. No official confirmation, however. One excerpt:

The correspondent of "SE" went to the so-called Medal Plaza, where the ceremony was to be held, and there, with reference to the people responsible for figure skating at the Olympics, it was reported that the ceremony was postponed due to a positive test for coronavirus in the American Vincent Zhou. There was no question of doping.

The next day, IOC spokesman Mark Adams said at a briefing the following:

You can bet your last dollar on the fact that we are doing everything to resolve this situation as quickly as possible. It involves athletes who have won medals. But, as you understand, the legal nuances sometimes drag on.

A little later, inside the Games publication came out with its information - allegedly one of the Russian skaters has problems with the doping test. The wording goes exactly that way — not a positive test, but a kind of "problem." There was a theory that we are talking about drugs, and in this regard, an unambiguous decision on the sample is not made. Western media also noted that Kamila Valieva, Mark Kondratyuk and Anastasia Mishina/Alexander Gallyamov did not come to the training today.

bardtoob

I'm very disappointed. I mean, it is the very first event of the Olympics and a marquee event.

Also, it used to be assumed that figure skaters benefited very little from performance enhancing drugs. I really don't want figure skating to be known as a juiced sport.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love!

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love!
Well, this is a way for Team USA (Vincent included!) To take a miraculous GOLD?! Can’t wait to hear a Russian media sounding off, if this happens. 🍿

Adding, as I watch NBC TV:
NBC TODAY Show just reporting this…smacking their lips. (Ratings prayer? 🙏)

Colonel Green

Or maybe they’ll just invalidate the points garnered by the offender, whoever s/he may be…perhaps Russia down to bronze?

Based on Germany and Ukraine being allowed to compete without one of their athletes, I would think the appropriate measure would be to invalidate only the results of the segments of the offending person (and recalculate the points for those segments).

That would put Russia behind the US and Japan in any scenario, but Russia would only drop off the podium if the offender was Valieva (where Russia would have 54 points and Canada would have 55).

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Based on Germany and Ukraine being allowed to compete without one of their athletes, I would think the appropriate measure would be to invalidate only the results of the segments of the offending person (and recalculate the points for those segments).

That would put Russia behind the US and Japan in any scenario, but Russia would only drop off the podium if the offender was Valieva (where Russia would have 54 points and Canada would have 55).
Thank you for calculating that. I think this is likely what they will do. Not much compensation to the Russian athletes who lose their gold though. :wuzrobbed

It seems pretty likely that the mysteriousness and delay in information in all this is figuring out what to do about the team results.

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
Seems like a positive test, but not necessarily performance enhancing? Could be something like paperwork f*ck up regarding ADHD medication.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story

Is that still true if you add extra points to the teams finishing below the Russian being removed?

skatingguy

Is that still true if you add extra points to the teams finishing below the Russian being removed?
The most another country could gain is 2 points by removing a competitor above them in each portion of the competition, so yes the Russians would still have enough points for 3rd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information