Politics of Why We Are All at Home Right Now

Sparks

I'm told there have been regular, high-level conversations between the White House & Fox News regarding ********* & vaccine coverage. While an official cautions that no specific talk played a role in their coverage, Hannity urged his audience last night to "take ********* seriously." ~ Kaitlan Collins

Dobre

Supposedly prior to & right after he gave that statement, he did two anti-vaccine stories so color me not super impressed.

Vagabond

Video
[Fauci] told the Senate health, education, labor, and pensions committee that a study cited by Paul referenced a different sort of ["V"-word] entirely from the one responsible for [you know what]. “This paper that you are referring to was judged by qualified staff up and down the chain as not being gain of function.”

Paul interrupted, Fauci insisted “Let me finish,” but Paul went on, pointing his finger as the exchange became more heated.

Fauci said angrily: “Senator Paul, you do not know what you’re talking about, quite frankly. And I want to say that officially. You do not know what you are talking about.”

The sparring continued as the men repeatedly interrupted each other and the committee chairperson struggled to retain control. Fauci concluded: “If anybody is lying here, senator, it is you.”
SNAP!

ballettmaus

Isn't there a way to exclude Rand Paul from future hearings due to the many lies and wrong accusations he spreads during those hearings? I mean, they're public and this, too, is misinformation and it's deliberate.

ballettmaus

If you click on the video link in Post #1,863, you will hear Paul accuse Fauci of perjury.
Yeah, but from what I've read, Fauci hasn't committed perjury, so does Paul want DOJ to charge Fauci with Paul's delusions? In case Paul hasn't noticed, the lawyers at DOJ aren't the ones who want to go the route of Giuliani and Powell anymore.
(And as if DOJ doesn't have enough to do with cleaning up Trump's mess).

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Seems like the Delta variant is scaring the sh*t out of Republicans. Steve Scalise reportedly got vaccinated because of it. https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1417551158634336265
I'm glad its scaring them. He's an idiot for not being vaccinated before.

I hope it f#%@! scares them enough that they disown the anti-vaxx crap and tell everyone to get vaccinated.

It certainly is scaring me with all these unvaccinated people around.

Dobre

Best hypothesis I have heard for the about-face the past two days is that the Republican party did some polling & found out that a. people are unhappy about cases going up due to unvaccinated people, b. the party's donors are not happy to see their portfolios diminished by falling stockmarket points because people are worried about an unvaccinated *********, c. Republicans are getting the blame. (Gee, I can't think why. Maybe it was the applause at CPAC for vaccination rates staying low. Maybe it was the 20 or 30 or so percentage point difference between the number of Republicans who are vaccinated & the number of Democrats who are vaccinated. Maybe it was the loads of anti-vaccination propaganda on conservative TV stations. Maybe it was all the Republican Congress members who haven't gotten vaccinated or haven't led by example by telling their constituents they are vaccinated. Maybe it is the Republicans in various Republican-heavy states that have refused to support educating kids about vaccinations or permitting businesses to require vaccinations or refused to support door-to-door vaccination efforts. Etc.)

Last edited:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Best hypothesis I have heard for the about-face the past two days is that the Republican party did some polling & found out that a. people are unhappy about cases going up due to unvaccinated people, b. the party's donors are not happy to see their portfolios diminished by falling stockmarket points because people are worried about an unvaccinated *********, c. Republicans are getting the blame.

If this is true, finally, finally, finally the shit is hitting the fan for their shit!!

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Now we are over 40,000 new cases a day and back to arguing about mask mandates. :blah:

Its certainly true that people who have not gotten the vaccine are all sorts of people with all sorts of reasons. But it also as certainly true that if elected Republicans and rightwing media had been advocating for people being vaccinated we would almost certainly have gotten to a much higher level of vaccination all across the country and be much less vulnerable to the delta variant and whatever follows it.

When you get to a point when a major political faction in a country works against the interests of the country as a whole for solely political and profit motivations, it really brings into question whether the country can survive politically.

sk9tingfan

France's Macron just put out an incredible statement to anti-vaxxers as follows:

"I no longer have any intention of sacrificing my life, my time, my freedom and the adolescence of my daughters, as well as their right to study properly, for those who refuse to be vaccinated, This time, you stay home not us....We cannot make those who do have the civic sense to be vaccinated ,bear the burden of inconvenience. The burdens will weigh on others, those for reasons incomprehensible in the country of Louis Pasteur, science and the Enlightenment still hesitate to use the only weapon against the *********, the vaccine."

If Biden only had to do this in the US.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
France's Macron just put out an incredible statement to anti-vaxxers as follows:

"I no longer have any intention of sacrificing my life, my time, my freedom and the adolescence of my daughters, as well as their right to study properly, for those who refuse to be vaccinated, This time, you stay home not us....We cannot make those who do have the civic sense to be vaccinated ,bear the burden of inconvenience. The burdens will weigh on others, those for reasons incomprehensible in the country of Louis Pasteur, science and the Enlightenment still hesitate to use the only weapon against the *********, the vaccine."

If Biden only had to do this in the US.
This was covered in another thread. Macron didn't say this. He hasn't got adolescent daughters or children in school either which I guess is a hint. I wonder who did say it.

sk9tingfan

This was covered in another thread. Macron didn't say this. He hasn't got adolescent daughters or children in school either which I guess is a hint. I wonder who did say it.

Thanks for the correction. Mea culpa.

Vagabond

This was covered in another thread. Macron didn't say this. He hasn't got adolescent daughters or children in school either which I guess is a hint.
Considering that Macron's wife was fifty-three and he was twenty-nine when they married, if they had adolescent daughters now, their personal life would be even more eyebrow-raising than it already is.

Last edited:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Well, it may be safe to attend Nationals this year. Tennessee's governor just reversed policy on C19 vaccines:

That doesn't say he reversed the policy. He still says "We should in no way be messaging to children."

He's trying to do some CYA by saying he's for vaccines.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
That doesn't say he reversed the policy. He still says "We should in no way be messaging to children."

He's trying to do some CYA by saying he's for vaccines.
I guess that article just wasn't clearly written because this says specifically that they are reversing the policy:

The state of Tennessee announced Friday that it will resume nearly all forms of ******** vaccine outreach for children and teenagers after advocacy was halted this month because of pressure from Republican legislators upset by the state health department’s efforts to vaccinate minors.

Tennessee Health Commissioner Lisa Piercey said at a news conference that the state will jump-start efforts to promote vaccination for adolescents as early as next week, including by offering the shots at events on school property.
“We put a pause on many things, and then we have resumed all of those,” Piercey told reporters, adding that outreach was paused so that the messaging would be directed at parents, not children.

The health department said it would continue to prohibit social media posts promoting vaccination that are specifically aimed at children.

Thank goodness. Its sad that delta has to kick some people's butts before they do the right things, but at least they are.

Dobre

Thank goodness. Its sad that delta has to kick some people's butts before they do the right things, but at least they are.
If they were doing to right thing, they would rehire the woman who was doing the right thing in the first place.

Someone (more likely many someones) held their feet to the fire on rolling back a century's worth of progress in health care.

To the people who stood up for human lives & health care education, among them Dr. Fiscus, kudos.

Last edited:

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member

Dak Prescott Uses Marjorie Taylor Greene’s HIPAA Response When Asked If Vaccinated. Twitter Pounces.​

This bugs me so much. HIPAA protects health workers from divulging patients' heath records. These idiotic people think they sound intelligent and well.... It reminds me of people getting banned from Twitter and screaming "FIRST AMENDMENT!!" They have no effing clue. I really want someone to call out Tucker Carlson. He is going WAY overboard against the vaccine, saying it is a Democratic plan for mass genocide!!!! First of all, that makes zero sense to begin with. Dems want to kill everyone off, starting with themselves?!?!?! It's clear to me that Carlson has had the vax and is just trolling the country. But now is NOT the time to be trolling the stupid and unenlightened, because it will result in deaths. .Or just let the stupid people die and raise your glass to Darwin.

What worries me is that a year later, with a new variant, we're going right back to "Masks are against my civil rights!" and no quarantine. Hello, we lost over 600,000 people the first time around. Didn't we learn that masks and social distancing are GOOD?!?!? It's like the same stupid argument from last year. At least now that I and my husband are vaxxed, I don't feel true fear of getting infected again but this time with a worse variant. I will be fine. I found out that a friend who was anti-vax/pro-trump died last week from *********. He was in his 40s and successful. How could someone that seemingly smart be that outrageously stupid??? My response unfortunately hearing about his death was to just roll my eyes and say well he got what he wanted so we should celebrate his death. What else is there to say about someone so stupid?

Vagabond

From the last:
Protesters also stormed the offices of the Islamist movement Ennahdha, the dominant force in parliament. Videos circulating online showed smoke pouring out of the Ennahdha building. The attackers damaged computers and other equipment inside and threw documents onto the streets.
Ennahdha was in a multi-party coalition that depended on yet more parties for confidence and support.

Last edited:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
This headline in the NY Times this morning sums up my feelings: As ***** Cases Rise, Another Contagion Spreads Among the Vaccinated: Anger. 56,000 new cases yesterday, new mask mandates, new disruption of the economy: and none of this had to happen.

There will always be people hesitant to get a vaccine, and some who just drop the ball. But what we've seen with a political faction using the ********* and the vaccines to create political division with disinformation has put us where we are. Why do half of the Republicans in Congress decline to even say whether they are vaccinated? Because its too controversial to say that they are? That's crazy. These elected officials cower before this rightwing populist firestorm they helped to unleash. And its screwing us all over.

All those angry protests we saw, where are those folks now? In the hospital? In the morgue? Yet creeps like Tucker Carlson who takes no risks with his own life keep on stirring up anti-vaccine outrage. Its unconscionable.

One thing needs to be said clearly: The anti-vaccine movement is a death cult.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
This headline in the NY Times this morning sums up my feelings: As ***** Cases Rise, Another Contagion Spreads Among the Vaccinated: Anger. 56,000 new cases yesterday, new mask mandates, new disruption of the economy: and none of this had to happen.
I was thinking about this very thing this AM. I am angry. At every step of the way, a certain contingent has made things worse for everyone. And nothing the people taking this seriously do can compensate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information