Political news from elsewhere

Sylvia

Wishing I could go back to the Lake Placid JGP
(I was hoping to be able to visit one day...)

ETA a Reuters video:

Last edited:

Sylvia

Wishing I could go back to the Lake Placid JGP
Last edited:

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
People will still be able to visit Hagia Sophia though as they can visit the two other huge mosques close to it. There was no need for such a polarizing decision though especially when beautiful mosques, which were intended as such from their conception on the contrary to Hagia Sophia, already can welcome many believers. Anyway, same old tricks from Erdoğan to rally his conservative base. Right now most Turks care much more about the increasing unemployment, inflation and extremely detrimental exchange rates with the euro and dollars. But Hagia Sophia was surely much more important and urgent to deal with :rolleyes:

VGThuy

Russian Parliament begins proceedings to ban same-sex marriage and adoption.

The adoption is practically impossible for same-sex couples anyway, but this will be official.

Elena Mizulina, a senator and one of the authors of the legislation, said the marriage and adoption ban would also extend to transgender people.

skatingguy

Golden Team
There is a Nazi monument commemorating an SS division in Canada? :eek: (And I'm sorry, but graffiti on it is not a hate crime. Rather, the monument itself is one). https://ottawacitizen.com/news/nati...-being-investigated-as-a-hate-crime-by-police
It said Someone painted “Nazi war monument” on the monument. That's not graffiti. That's the truth!
It's on the grounds of a Ukrainian church, and commemorates Ukrainian's who fought for the Nazi's against the Soviet's. I think it's probably the ultimate rock, and a hard place, but I still can't justify a monument.

Vagabond

Belarus has an upcoming Presidential election. The Government has arrested thirty-three alleged Russian militia members who are said to infiltrated the country for nefarious purposes.
The state TV channel Belarus 1 showed the Russians being arrested by the Belarus KGB at a sanatorium. The video report (in Russian) said the group had raised suspicions because of their disciplined, military-style behaviour - for example they avoided alcohol.
I know I shouldn't laugh at this, but :lol: :slinkaway

Vagabond

There are massive protests in the wake of official Presidential election results in Belarus giving "Europe's last dictator" an overwhelming victory.

:watch:

allezfred

#EpidemiologistsNotEconomists
Staff member
I don’t think Lukashenko is Europe’s last dictator any more (hi Hungary), but he is certainly the longest serving one.

caseyedwards

All of the recent powers Orban had have expired and US governors have been more powerful than orban in hungary

ballettmaus

I don’t think Lukashenko is Europe’s last dictator any more (hi Hungary), but he is certainly the longest serving one.

Russia and Turkey are also always part of Europe when it comes to athletics. And then there's Poland. I wouldn't call any of those leaders democratic leaders.

Vagabond

After Vote That Many Called Rigged, Challenger to Belarus Leader Leaves
The main opponent of Aleksandr G. Lukashenko, the embattled president of Belarus, left the country on Tuesday, and violent skirmishes between the police and protesters continued as the man known as “Europe’s last dictator” clung to power.

Svetlana G. Tikhanovskaya, who ran for president in Sunday’s election after the jailing of her husband, an opposition blogger, was pressured to depart for Lithuania by the Belarusian authorities, two of her associates said.
Tikhanovskaya and her husband are the Alexander Dubčeks or Lech Wałęsas of our times.

And, please note the use of quotation marks both here and in my posts to describe Lukashenko as "Europe's last dictator." That is what he is known as, not necessarily what he is.

Last edited:

DELTA

Ah, der'mo ! Was reading about his party 'Russia Of The Future', a 'liberal' party in the European sense, and it seems to be a healthy antidote to Putin. Hope he recovers.
but he's pro gun

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information