Political news from elsewhere

ballettmaus

An aide of Salvini's and two other Italians were in Russia last year to negotiate a deal that would have funneled money into their party. I'm not surprised. I also wouldn't be surprised if evidence emerged that shows that the prime ministers/Presidents of Hungary, Poland and the Czech Republic are tangled up with Russia.

PRlady

Gutting it out
I think the Brits stopped a tanker in Gibraltar that was taking Iranian oil to Syria in violation of sanctions. The Mullahs know they have to look strong outside Iran because their people are really getting hammered by the sanctions.

ballettmaus

^It's not just that though. They shot down the US drone, they are violating the nuclear deal even though the US is the only country that left it and everyone else has signaled willingness to work on keeping it in place and now this. They're like the child who's told to stop several times until it pushes things one step to far.

ballettmaus

Japanfan

I'm not sure if I should be relieved or horrified that there's someone else like Trump out there.
Horrified. And Duterte is even worse than Trump IMO. But perhaps only because he can be, as he flies much less under the radar than Trump.

Vagabond

I have searched and there are no threads for political news from outside North America and Europe so I thought I would start one. :shuffle:
Does Puerto Rico count? If not perhaps someone will start a thread about this:

Top Puerto Rican officials resign over profanity-laced chat
Rosselló apologized for the comments late Thursday, saying he'd been working 18-hour days and releasing tensions when he called former New York City Council speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito the Spanish word for "whore" and in English told the oversight board to "go f--- yourself" followed by a string of emojis with the middle finger raised.
:rolleyes:
"Aware that the current environment cannot be maintained, I have communicated to all the other public officials involved in the chat that I will have to dispense with their services and/or their advice," he said in the statement....

Rosselló has said he will not resign.
:duh:
Puerto Rican pop star Ricky Martin, who was mentioned in the chat with a homophobic comment, urged Rosselló to step down.

Martin tweeted that the governor "lacks the abilities of a true leader, who inspires, stimulates and guides by example so that our people attain a higher level of life."
:respec:
Days earlier, FBI agents arrested Julia Keleher, Puerto Rico's former education secretary, and five others on charges of steering federal money to unqualified, politically connected contractors.

Officials said the alleged fraud involves $15.5 million worth of federal funding issued between 2017 and 2019. They said $13 million was spent by Puerto Rico's Department of Education while Keleher was secretary and another $2.5 million spent by Ángela Ávila Marrero when she was director of Puerto Rico's Health Insurance Administration.
:bribe: :skandal

Something is rotten in the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.

:watch:

Vagabond

Governor Rosselló has resigned as head of his party and says that he will not run for re-election. He says, however, that he will not resign as Governor. A general strike and a major demonstration are planned for Monday in San Juan.

According to Wikipedia, if Rosselló resigned right now, he would be succeeded by the Secretary of Justice, Wanda Vázquez Garced. I have no idea what kind of governor she would be, but it appears to be time for Rosselló to step down.

Vagabond

Finally!

Ricardo Rosselló, Puerto Rico’s Governor, Resigns After Protests
He said his successor for the moment would be the secretary of justice, Wanda Vázquez, a former district attorney who once headed the island’s office of women’s affairs. Ms. Vázquez was next in line under the commonwealth’s Constitution because the secretary of state, who would have succeeded Mr. Rosselló as governor, resigned last week when he also was caught up in a chat scandal that enveloped the administration.

But the governor appeared to leave open the possibility that a different successor could be in place by the time he steps down.
I think he's pushing his luck, but then again, a new Secretary of State would have to be confirmed by the Legislature, so that might help everyone to move on.

oleada

It's a great day for Puerto Rico. It's been very impressive the way the public has demonstrated. They should be proud :respec:

Lara

It's JJ style!
According to Wikipedia, if Rosselló resigned right now, he would be succeeded by the Secretary of Justice, Wanda Vázquez Garced. I have no idea what kind of governor she would be, but it appears to be time for Rosselló to step down.
Unfortunately many believe she’s also corrupt, but I can at least hope the level of scrutiny will be high now. Puerto Rico has been mismanaged for far too long, this was the last straw and I’m very happy the people have finally stood up.

ballettmaus

Unfortunately many believe she’s also corrupt, but I can at least hope the level of scrutiny will be high now. Puerto Rico has been mismanaged for far too long, this was the last straw and I’m very happy the people have finally stood up.
Nowadays I find myself wondering if there are any politicians left who aren't corrupt.

Jimena

Very proud of my people. But we have to keep going. The entire political system in PR is corrupt. It doesn't end with Rossello.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Shocking column on a situation in India:

India’s cruel exercise in exclusion could leave millions stateless (Washington Post)

In the northeastern Indian state of Assam, as many as 4 million people may soon be excluded from Indian citizenship. ...

After languishing for years, the push to enforce the NRC has been revived in the past decade. It comes hard on the heels of a surge of virulent nationalism, including the use of the term “termites” in reference to immigrants from Bangladesh, leading to concerns that it will be used as a tool for persecution.

The procedure to be included in the register is daunting, opaque and riddled with flaws. From problems with the type of documentationrequired to prove citizenship to clerical errors in transcribing names, the hurdles are myriad. Many applicants are illiterate, lack the adequate documents and do not have the means to travel far to specified locations to file claims. For those who are included in the list, third-party objections are permitted. Those excluded from the draft list were given a mere 60 days to appeal, and upon the publication of the final list, will purportedly be given a month to petition....

Devastating stories are already emerging of those entangled in the process, including reports of suicides due to exclusion from the list. Men, women and children are already in detention centers, with little hope of emerging unscathed from this legal maze. They face the prospect of indefinite detention and could even end up stateless, with no place to be deported to, given Bangladesh’s position that this is an internal Indian matter

Buzz

Romania’s education minister has stepped down because of insensitive comments she made about a kidnapping case that has rocked that country. A kidnapping victim managed to call police three times but the police took no action for 19 hours by which time it is believed to be too late.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
And more on India: India’s settler-colonial project in Kashmir takes a disturbing turn (Washington Post)

Home Minister Amit Shah on Monday informed the Parliament of a presidential order revoking Article 370, which gave the state of Jammu and Kashmir special status within the Indian Constitution. The article was instituted by India’s early leadership to give a certain degree of autonomy to its only Muslim-majority state — one it had incorporated without the consent of its people, who would have preferred independence or accession to Pakistan.

...But dramatic shift in policy came amid a brutal crackdown in a territory that already holds the title of being one of the most militarized in the world. India has deployed an additional 35,000 troops, ordered tourists, pilgrims and journalists to leave, and implemented a curfew. It also arrested not only Kashmir’s pro-freedom leaders, but also leaders of the varying client regimes it has installed in the recent past. For days, people were gripped with fear and uncertainty as they tried to determine their fate. Even as the announcement was made, Kashmiris were kept in the dark because of a total communications clampdown, with Internet and mobile services blocked.

...Today’s announcement comes as the fulfillment of the Indian state’s established imperial designs in Kashmir, and especially the long-held view by right-wing Hindu nationalist parties in India since the time of partition to remove Kashmir’s special status and fully annex it. What this moment illuminates, however, is the stark reality of the colonial occupation in Kashmir.

Vagabond

Puerto Rico Supreme Court Ousts New Governor, and Another Is Sworn In
The uneasy calm that had settled over Puerto Rico after huge protests brought down one governor and a second one was installed in his place ended on Wednesday when its Supreme Court ruled that the only way to maintain the constitutional order was to swear in the island’s third governor in a week.

In short order after the high court ruling, Pedro R. Pierluisi, who had filled the position since Friday, stepped down. Wanda Vázquez, the former secretary of justice, took the oath as governor, just the second woman to hold the office. And Puerto Rico was thrust into a new period of political tumult over how long the unpopular Ms. Vázquez might remain on the job — and what machinations might be underway to prepare for her possible succession.
Some heads are rolling; others are spinning.

fscric

Meanwhile, this song was being sung by protesters at Hong Kong’s airport.
You may not believe me but what you see from your media are not what's happening in HK, see the following clips for example:

https://www.facebook.com/100001356931830/posts/2344610858927456?s=100012038170133&sfns=xmwa

https://www.facebook.com/fans.hkgolden/videos/404233850450077/UzpfSTU2OTM1OTEwNjgxNDY1NDo3NDkyMDE3Njg4MzAzODY/?s=545980826&sfns=mo

(I hope I inserted the links correctly)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)