Political news from elsewhere

caseyedwards

In July 2016, the Supreme Court of Justice declared unconstitutional a 1993 amnesty law that prevented investigation, prosecution and imprisonment of people responsible for war crimes. Judges ordered Congress to adopt a new law to promote national reconciliation before July 2019.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1ST2TC

El Salvador letting war criminals live freely and they wonder why everyone there wants to move to America!

ballettmaus

Turkey is launching investigations against fiction writers who they think condone sexual abuse because it's in their books. https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/may/31/turkey-puts-novelists-including-elif-shafak-under-Investigation

The move comes in the wake of a vicious debate on social media in which novelists tackling challenging subjects – such as child abuse and sexual violence – have been accused of condoning these practices. After a page from a novel by Abdullah Şevki was shared on Twitter earlier this week, the Turkish ministry of culture and tourism said it had filed a criminal complaint against the writer.

Social media users have since been sharing passages from novels by other writers, including Shafak and the novelist Ayşe Kulin, and making similar accusations.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Ooof. I actually...have some interesting feelings about this. It's been something I've wondered about for quite some time, what it says about an author when they insert gratituous rape scenes into their books.

Zemgirl

Not really political, but Nechama Rivlin, the first lady of Israel, passed away today (the presidency is largely ceremonial here). She underwent a lung transplant earlier this year and sadly there were complications that she was unable to overcome.

Nechama was a lovely person and very much admired. She'll be missed.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
There is a lesson there. People took.to the streets. Three major papers ran the story as the top headline. And the police let him go.

Last edited:

Vagabond

Thelma Cabrera: indigenous, female and shaking up Guatemala's election

Thelma Cabrera Pérez, 49, has unexpectedly risen in presidential polls after a frenetic campaign across Guatemala’s rural heartlands where organised crime and agriculture magnates have controlled land and politics since the 36-year civil war ended in 1996.

Cabrera, a Maya Mam indigenous rights defender, is currently polling fifth in a crowded field of 20 candidates, but Guatemalan polls are notoriously weighted towards urban areas, and analysts believe she has a serious chance of getting through to a runoff vote in August.

Win or lose, her political ascent marks a historic achievement at a time when trust in the country’s status quo is at rock bottom.

Buzz

A massive blackout over the weekend left most of Uruguay, Argentina and parts of Paraguay in the dark. Luckily power has now been restored to most effected areas.

Vagabond

Urgent news from Pakistan:

Accidental cat filter appears on Pakistan official's briefing
Yousafzai was giving a a briefing to reporters in Peshawar when a member of his social media team inadvertently switched on the cat filter. The event was streamed live on Facebook.

It was several minutes before organisers realised that the minister had acquired pointy ears. When one of his moustached party colleagues began to speak, looking earnest and holding a pen, he too was transformed into a cat.
😸

cocotaffy

Basking on a tree
Yesssssssssssssssssss AKP lost Istanbul after having overturn the initial results of the 31st March election which had seen the victory of the opposition party. And today, the opposition inflicted Erdoğan's party a huge defeat by 54% to 45% so far with 98% of the votes counted. I was crushed by the decision to redo an election but now, I'm thrilled because if on the 31st they had won with a mere 26 000 votes difference, the defeat and message today is clear. Enough is enough. Thank you people of Istanbul :cheer2:

Last edited:

ballettmaus

^I heard about it on the radio a few minutes ago. They said many interrupted their vacation to come back to vote. My guess would be that the AKP/Erdogan didn't expect that/counted on voters being absent to help them take this election.

cocotaffy

Basking on a tree
Fact. The CHP is worse than erdogan and plan genocide against the Syrians in Turkey
You probably don't live in Turkey, tell that to the ten of thousands of people who got imprisoned here, lost their jobs or their passport and are unable to find a job anywhere public or private sector but are stuck because they can't even leave the country without a passport. Families of university teachers who are stuck with not prospects whatsoever with kids to feed and raise just because they signed a effing shit of paper ... I probably shouldn't answer to your message but it was just too outrageous.

Last edited:

Daena

Yesssssssssssssssssss AKP lost Istanbul after having overturn the initial results of the 31st March election which had seen the victory of the opposition party. And today, the opposition inflicted Erdoğan's party a huge defeat by 54% to 45% so far with 98% of the votes counted. I was crushed by the decision to redo an election but now, I'm thrilled because if on the 31st they had won with a mere 26 000 votes difference, the defeat and message today is clear. Enough is enough. Thank you people of Istanbul :cheer2:
Congrats! Yes, Erdogan's plan definitely backfired.

caseyedwards

You probably don't live in Turkey, tell that to the ten of thousands of people who got imprisoned here, lost their jobs or their passport and are unable to find a job anywhere public or private sector but are stuck because they can't even leave the country without a passport. Families of university teachers who are stuck with not prospects whatsoever with kids to feed and raise just because they signed a effing shit of paper ... I probably shouldn't answer to your message but it was just too outrageous.
I didn’t say erdogan was good just that his main opponents support genocide against the Syrian refugees in turkey right now!!

cocotaffy

Basking on a tree
I didn’t say erdogan was good just that his main opponents support genocide against the Syrian refugees in turkey right now!!
The situation is a bit more complex than that. The economy is going on a downward spiral with skyrocketing prices for food as basic as potatoes and onions. Turkey has welcomed many Syrians, 3.5 million and it is just getting extremely hard to accommodate, especially in more impoverished part of the countries like the East. Could you cite the source where you read they support a genocide ? Of course, CHP is far from being a perfect option and I do not like their rhetoric about the Syrian refugees much but this is the only decent liberal alternative we've got right now to maybe get rid of Erdoğan and his money laundering schemes, red tapes and grand egotistical plans like his horrendous 1000 rooms Ankara palace. Make no mistake the Syrian refugees were just another pawn to play with for Erdoğan. Now, locals and refugees have to pay the price. Anyway, I'm just happy some balance of power has been restored and how pleasing it is to hear articulated politicians like both Ankara and Istanbul new mayors talking, without yelling or insulting people, about freedoms which had been so drastically reduced, having a progressive and respectful social agenda and hopefully cleaning up all the financial mess those major cities are in right now because of a huge corruption problems.

Last edited:

Vagabond

#MeToo in West Africa

A Beauty Queen Accuses Former Gambian President of Rape: ‘I Literally Stumbled Out of There’
Advocates with Human Rights Watch and Trial International, a group that supports crime victims, took testimony from two former protocol officers who said that sex with the president had been part of the job. One woman, who did not want to be identified because she is afraid of retribution from Mr. Jammeh’s supporters, said in her testimony that when she was 23, she was given cash and gifts for having sex with him, and that he told her that if she refused he would cut off the financial support he was giving her family.
This appears to be the tip of a very large iceberg, particularly since Jammeh has been able thus far, like many other former African leaders, to go into exile rather than face charges at home.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 7, Guests: 7)