Political news from elsewhere

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Australian Federal election will likely be called either this weekend or next, for a probable late-May election.

And for the first time in my adult life, I have absolutely no fcuking clue what I'm going to do. Neither major party option is palatable to my taste, no point voting for the smaller parties (and few of them are to my taste either). I cannot stomach the idea of a donkey vote, but...

ilovepaydays

This doesn't actually belong in Political News from Elsewhere since he was arrested on request of the US regarding charges in the Chelsea Manning document case. :eek:
My apologies for my mistake - if people/admins want, should it be made into a separate thread?

But, I also thought that Assange was going to face other charges in Sweden and/or the UK (plus who else knows?).

Susan1

This doesn't actually belong in Political News from Elsewhere since he was arrested on request of the US regarding charges in the Chelsea Manning document case. :eek:
I didn't see it anywhere else, so I came here. And I will reply here until someone moves it or whatever. If he is extradited to the US, the moron will probably pardon him and hire him.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Well we are flexible here. :lol: I was just noting that this arrest does seem to be all about the US.

Of course a big part of the story of the arrest is that Ecuador stopped giving Assange asylum which is interesting.

Vagabond

My apologies for my mistake - if people/admins want, should it be made into a separate thread?

But, I also thought that Assange was going to face other charges in Sweden and/or the UK (plus who else knows?).
This thread was started as a place to post comments on politics in countries outside of Europe and North America. You don't need anyone's permission to start a new thread.

ballettmaus

Sweden had closed the case against him because they assumed they wouldn't get their hands on him before the statute of limitation was up. But I just read that it's up in August 2020, so they can (and might) reopen the case. I really hope they will.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Well we are flexible here. :lol: I was just noting that this arrest does seem to be all about the US.

Of course a big part of the story of the arrest is that Ecuador stopped giving Assange asylum which is interesting.
That had actually been brewing for a while - they were pissed off with him for at least a year. By all accounts the man's a slob and his lawyer had a whinge to the press about Ecuador's "unreasonable requests"...like cleaning his cat's litterbox.

easilydistracte

Geezette

Sylvia

Anticipating the JGP!
Two Reuters reporters jailed in Myanmar freed after more than 500 days: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-myanmar-journalists/two-reuters-reporters-jailed-in-myanmar-freed-after-more-than-500-days-idUSKCN1SD056
The two reporters, Wa Lone, 33, and Kyaw Soe Oo, 29, had been convicted in September and sentenced to seven years in jail, in a case that raised questions about Myanmar’s progress toward democracy and sparked an outcry from diplomats and human rights advocates.
President Win Myint has pardoned thousands of other prisoners in mass amnesties since last month. It is customary in Myanmar for authorities to free prisoners across the country around the time of the traditional New Year, which began on April 17.
Before their arrest in December 2017, the two had been working on an investigation into the killing of 10 Rohingya Muslim men and boys by security forces and Buddhist civilians in western Myanmar’s Rakhine State during an army crackdown that began in August 2017.
The operation sent more than 730,000 Rohingya fleeing to Bangladesh, according to U.N. estimates.
The report the two men authored, featuring testimony from perpetrators, witnesses and families of the victims, was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for international reporting in May, adding to a number of accolades received by the pair for their journalism.
:cheer:

cocotaffy

Basking on a tree

Domshabfan

A proud P/C fan
Rolling circus, a.k.a Indian Elections are over. The Ruling BJP is expected to win comfortably according exit polls. The only consolation as far as opposition is concerned is that more often than not Indian exit polls get result spectacularly wrong. Indian exit polls were ahead on its time compared to US, UK and AUS in this department ;)

Domshabfan

A proud P/C fan
BJP, the hindu nationalist party has again won the Indian election by a massive margin. They have another 5 years to rule. I strongly believe they will declare India as a hindu country during this tenure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)