Political news from elsewhere

becca

The kid said he had was trying to show no look on his face because he wanted to descalate. The point though I think this country has a mob mentality and its high time we stop rushing to judgment on things. The school is talking about suing the media.

ballettmaus

LGBT rights have come under attack in Brazil. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/lgbt-rights-under-attack-in-brazil-under-new-far-right-president/2019/02/17/b24e1dcc-1b28-11e9-b8e6-567190c2fd08_story.html?utm_term=.e164c45830a4
Damares Alves, the evangelical pastor who serves as Bolsonaro’s minister of women and family, declared on her first day in office that, in the new Brazil, “girls wear pink and boys wear blue.”

“Girls will be princesses and boys will be princes,” she added. “There will be no more ideological indoctrination of children and teenagers in Brazil.”

Bolsonaro’s minister of education, Ricardo Vélez Rodríguez, shut down a section of the ministry devoted to diversity and human rights. He has said he is against the discussion of “gender theory” — which studies gender identity — in the classroom.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Cardinal George Pell is in jail for child sexual abuse, and may he rot in hell. The cowards ought to put him in the general population and let the criminal honour code do its work. Though such as they could dish out would be too good a death for him.

Don't read what his (very, very expensive QC who the Catholic church paid for out of their millions of non-taxed dollars) lawyer said during the hearing unless you want to vomit.

ballettmaus

Lemme guess: While being interviewed regarding their passport, the immigration officer will blow smoke into the interviewers face?
You may be disappointed to find that there is no interview. You apply online. ;) (And when you arrive in Europe, there usually is only a passport control administered by our federal police. If they say "hello" you're lucky :p ).

Daena

I can't say how happy I am this morning, after yesterday's Turkish municipal election: Ankara and now, as of this morning, Istanbul are not governed by AKP (aka Tayip Erdoğan's party). Big result and first big defeat for Erdoğan since he reached to the highest powers in 2003.
Yeah, now wait for another fake coup or other provocation. Ugh.
No, I am glad for results, but only, I don't know, low-key glad?
Cause mostly I am worried and pessimistic? Something like that.

cocotaffy

Basking on a tree
Yeah, now wait for another fake coup or other provocation. Ugh.
No, I am glad for results, but only, I don't know, low-key glad?
Cause mostly I am worried and pessimistic? Something like that.
I just need to be glad for one day but I know exactly what you mean and it does worry me too. Though I felt like smiling like crazy walking in the streets of Ankara I have never known not being under AKP.

VenusH.

VenusH.

Ukraine is also voting for president.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47767440

A COMEDIAN is leading after first round. Current president is second.

As somebody who is an activist and volunteer for Ukraine this worries me. Yes, Poroshenko is not ideal.... but comedian is not a solution for country that has been in state of war for last five years. I have encountered various opinions when talking to Ukrainians, mostly it is exhaustion of the dragged out war (the frontlines had not changed for about four years), corruption and not being closer to being a EU-worthy country than back than. But Rome (and democratic society) has not been built in a day. I wish that western world stepped in earlier and more seriously and did not let the country in ditch. But I am worried that Ukrainians are undoing all the sacrifice of past five years by voting for a populist.

But the second round is in three weeks and lots of things can happen. Zelenskyi seem as polarising politician, so maybe many will vote against him in second round. He also avoided TV debates up to the point and maybe duels with Poroshenko might hurt him (after all, being president of war torn country is not a sitcom....)

(oh, i hope that personal opinions rants are allowed here).

PRlady

Gutting it out
I’m moderating a small event Wednesday night on the Israeli elections with a friend from Israel who is one of their best pollsters.

The campaign has been a clown show complete with online bots, oppo research accusing bibi’s main rival of seeing a therapist (in the country whose people invented it!) and so on. No one really knows what will happen April 9 but I for one will not be surprised if Bibi wins again. He is one canny politician.

ETA: sorry, didn’t realize it had its own thread.

DELTA

Ukraine is also voting for president.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47767440

A COMEDIAN is leading after first round. Current president is second.

As somebody who is an activist and volunteer for Ukraine this worries me. Yes, Poroshenko is not ideal.... but comedian is not a solution for country that has been in state of war for last five years. I have encountered various opinions when talking to Ukrainians, mostly it is exhaustion of the dragged out war (the frontlines had not changed for about four years), corruption and not being closer to being a EU-worthy country than back than. But Rome (and democratic society) has not been built in a day. I wish that western world stepped in earlier and more seriously and did not let the country in ditch. But I am worried that Ukrainians are undoing all the sacrifice of past five years by voting for a populist.

But the second round is in three weeks and lots of things can happen. Zelenskyi seem as polarising politician, so maybe many will vote against him in second round. He also avoided TV debates up to the point and maybe duels with Poroshenko might hurt him (after all, being president of war torn country is not a sitcom....)

(oh, i hope that personal opinions rants are allowed here).
What a silly post! Ukraine is not anywhere near democracy. In fact it's moving away from it, with murder of journalist Olesya Buzina and jailing of Ruslan Kotsaba for antiwar stance. The economy is also being destroyed. (deindustialized)

Zelensky should not be elected for a different reason. He is a puppet of the oligarch Kolomoysky. That will be the real president of Ukraine

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)