Political news from elsewhere

Lara

It's JJ style!
Ratings
Considering Puerto Rico's infrastructure state right now I wouldn't try to make too many political associations. (Yes, I'm assuming that's the intent of the post.)

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard
Ratings
Let Cuba worry about Cuba. You should be more concerned that you voted for a dumb-dumb to be president of your country. :rofl:
"Voted"? Voting is an option the Cubans don't have! However much an ignoramus Trump is, the US still is a democracy, something that was all-too-apparent in the mid-term elections where the Republicans lost. "Let Cuba worry about Cuba"? So only residents of China can complain about the harassment/imprisonment of Falun Gong members, and reports of the government forcing inmates to have their organs harvested? Only residents of North Korea can object to the Kim dictatorship's policy of imprisoning not only dissidents, but members of their family as well? There are of course differences in the degree of harshness, but all these countries are similar in that they lack the freedom for citizens to criticize the state! And that is why I for one speak up about such things, to give a voice to the voiceless. Finally, isn't the name/subject of this thread "Political news from elsewhere"? Where is there a caveat saying:"However, you can only comment on things in your own country"?

Peaches LaTour

Ratings
"Voted"? Voting is an option the Cubans don't have! However much an ignoramus Trump is, the US still is a democracy, something that was all-too-apparent in the mid-term elections where the Republicans lost. "Let Cuba worry about Cuba"? So only residents of China can complain about the harassment/imprisonment of Falun Gong members, and reports of the government forcing inmates to have their organs harvested? Only residents of North Korea can object to the Kim dictatorship's policy of imprisoning not only dissidents, but members of their family as well? There are of course differences in the degree of harshness, but all these countries are similar in that they lack the freedom for citizens to criticize the state! And that is why I for one speak up about such things, to give a voice to the voiceless. Finally, isn't the name/subject of this thread "Political news from elsewhere"? Where is there a caveat saying:"However, you can only comment on things in your own country"?
Good for you!

Oh, by the way, Allezfred, the majority of Americans didn't vote for Trump.

Vagabond

Ratings

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Ratings
It would be nice if snowbird (such disrespect to Anne Murray with that...) and Jot The Dot-- to a lesser extent-- would at least comment on the garbage from the right. And that would include Libertarians-- who are basically wannabe anarchists who've made money and don't understand why everyone can't just do as they do.

But, no, that wouldn't fit their respective narratives.

Tragic about Cuba, though. They've been on my mind since the Caravan discussion has intermittently taken over the US news cycle. It reminds me of the Mariel Boatlift from the '80s, or at least what little I've learned of it.

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard
Ratings
It would be nice if snowbird (such disrespect to Anne Murray with that...) and Jot The Dot-- to a lesser extent-- would at least comment on the garbage from the right. And that would include Libertarians-- who are basically wannabe anarchists who've made money and don't understand why everyone can't just do as they do.

But, no, that wouldn't fit their respective narratives.
I've been critical of Trump from the get-go, just check and you'll find about 60 of my posts critical of him and of fellow Republicans. And your description of Libertarians would hardly apply to me; I've never defended the anarchist position, and I'm earning what I have 90% of the time earned throughout my life: The Minimum Wage.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Ratings
I've been critical of Trump from the get-go, just check and you'll find about 60 of my posts critical of him and of fellow Republicans. And your description of Libertarians would hardly apply to me; I've never defended the anarchist position, and I'm earning what I have 90% of the time earned throughout my life: The Minimum Wage.
Good to hear you're not as bipartisan as I thought!

cholla

Talk to my Bleff
Ratings
France is going to halt the fuel tax rise that has caused so many violent protests.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46437904
The protests aren't only about fuel tax but about all taxes. Unfortunately, Edouard Philippe's new decisions haven't convinced the "yellow vests" and they are still very active, especially during the week-end. I live in a remote part of the Alps and a few days ago, gas has been rationned because the yellow vests blocked the area main gas yard. Went grocery shopping on Saturday and a lot of stuff is missing at the mall for a lack of resupplying. Every week-end since Nov 17, the yellow vests have blocked the entrance of big malls, preventing people from shopping. In Paris last week-end, large stores which are generally open on Sundays before Xmas were not only closed but they had had all their windows boarded in case of new troubles to public order. Yellow Vests protesters are rather pacific but a lot of troublemakers are taking advantage of the protests to break and destroy whatever's in their way. It's a huge mess and it's going to totally destroy an economy which was already faltering.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)