Pandora papers leak exposes offshore accounts including Elvis Stojko

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
He could have brought something different to the table without saying homophobic things about skaters who didn't have the same style.
Oh please. Mr. Stojko's comments were not homophobic. He was simply sharing his preferred style of skating and explained why he feels that way. The great thing is you are absolutely free to disagree with him. However,you are NOT free to make libelous melodramatic slurs about Elvis simply to fit your agenda.

-BB

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we鈥檇 both be wrong.
Oh please. Mr. Stojko's comments were not homophobic. He was simply sharing his preferred style of skating and explained why he feels that way. The great thing is you are absolutely free to disagree with him. However,you are NOT free to make libelous melodramatic slurs about Elvis simply to fit your agenda.

-BB
Well said!!!

toddlj

San Jose 2023!
I was an effeminate little boy and faced my share of teasing and taunts because if it (some from my family.) Using the word "bullying" might be a bit of a stretch, but there were many nights I went to bed in tears. I earnestly felt, in some moments, like my lack of "manliness" would mean I would never fit in in the world; never be accepted.

And I was a big figure skating fan.

Comments like the ones made by Mr. Stojko were... not helpful.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
I was an effeminate little boy and faced my share of teasing and taunts because if it (some from my family.) Using the word "bullying" might be a bit of a stretch, but there were many nights I went to bed in tears. I earnestly felt, in some moments, like my lack of "manliness" would mean I would never fit in in the world; never be accepted.

And I was a big figure skating fan.

Comments like the ones made by Mr. Stojko were... not helpful.

There is a heartbreaking interview with Kevin Aymoz from his Canal plus documentary where he said as a young teen, he would try to walk "like this" (throwing his shoulders back and swinging his arms), that he watched his wrists so they wouldn't flap, and that he was called all manner of derogatory names due to his interest in figure skating and his affect.

Elvis Stojko knew damn well what he was doing and saying, and this woman of a certain age tells Mr. Stojko now, as she did then, to stuff it.

Louis

Private citizen
Also, the reason there's not a lot of Americans on this list because there's so many tax loopholes in this country that they don't need these hideaways as much.

The US is hardly a tax haven. The IRS also has a global reach and taxes US citizens on worldwide income, even if they never set foot in the US during the tax year.

Many foreign banks won't take American clients because of the onerous IRS reporting requirements. My choices as a U.S. citizen are extremely limited, and I typically cannot get the best deals or anything close to them. Tax treatment of everything is punitive, often extremely so. I'd love to see other countries stand up to the global (over)reach of the IRS and refuse to provide these records.

ballettmaus

Many foreign banks won't take American clients because of the onerous IRS reporting requirements.
My parents and grandfather decided against getting my parents power of attorney for my grandfather's bank account (German citizen, lives in Germany, German bank, German income) after his bank informed them that they would have to report that to the IRS. They all felt that my granddad's money was none of the IRS's business.

Japanfan

It was 11 years ago ... I am not into holding grudges. Is he against gay people? I would hope not. Was he stirring the pot? Maybe.
He could have brought something different to the table without saying homophobic things about skaters who didn't have the same style.

I didn't perceive his comment to be homophobic, but can understanding how they could be seen as such.

I believe I thought her was referring to men's versus women's skating - masculine skating, rather than feminine. Gay men can skate to music that is classified as 'manly', many certainly have.

I think Elvis felt underrated, and to some extent, fairly. He always had to fight for his marks and wins, which depended for the most part on his technical/athletic abilities.

And perhaps he always resented losing to Urmy at the '94 Olympics. Urmy was such a lyrical skater, and dressed in that ruffed skirt - the look and the program were nothing like Elvis's idea of manly skating. But Urmy was by no means effeminate. IMO.

And I think he did feel a need to assert his hetero identity, which some might say was homophobic. I remember him saying he got teased a lot in school for doing a 'girly' sport.

At least in this country, a lot of men, perhaps women to, do think of male figure skaters as gay. My own brother can't help but say something about gays when I say something about FS. And I have a male friend who will watch lady skaters, but never men. He's never indicated that this is about homophobia, but has indicated in other instances that he might be homophobic.
Wow, you're hard on Elvis. His choice of words may not have been the best, but I'm glad he brought something different to the table.
I share your view that he brought something different to the table - even though, as I've said before, I did he limit himself.

But it would be nice to see skaters do martial arts program again.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
If Elvis intended his comments about "masculine" and "feminine" skating styles to be about men's skating and women's skating, I think he would have said that. There isn't a single female skater mentioned in either of the articles I linked.

When he said "male skating is about masculinity, strength and power" and criticized "effeminate" skating - IMHO he didn't choose those words accidentally, and he knew what they implied.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
And even if it didn't imply that the whole concept (Mens skating should be masculine) is stupid and people should project the image they want to project and not worry about whether or not it's "masculine" enough.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
The US is hardly a tax haven. The IRS also has a global reach and taxes US citizens on worldwide income, even if they never set foot in the US during the tax year.

Many foreign banks won't take American clients because of the onerous IRS reporting requirements. My choices as a U.S. citizen are extremely limited, and I typically cannot get the best deals or anything close to them. Tax treatment of everything is punitive, often extremely so. I'd love to see other countries stand up to the global (over)reach of the IRS and refuse to provide these records.
USA not a tax heaven? No shit Sherlock

I think the Feds should give each of us a ton of cash.
It could be great 馃憤

Actually I like the value added tax.

Japanfan

I often wonder whether the people who are so supportive of Elvis Stojko both as a skater and as a person would have be so were he not been Canadian. :shuffle:

I admired his tough, competitive, mindset, and would have done so even if I were not Canadian. Although were I not Canadian, I wouldn't have been as familiar with him as I was - due to the plethora of media attention he got in Canada.

Louis

Private citizen
I often wonder whether the people who are so supportive of Elvis Stojko both as a skater and as a person would have be so were he not been Canadian. :shuffle:

I liked Elvis's skating in the early days. As others said, he brought something different, pushed the technical limits of the sport, and had thematic programs that told a story. His choreography emphasized his strengths and camouflaged his weaknesses. I grew tired of him because he was a one-trick pony in terms of programs, but so were many of his peers, e.g., Todd Eldredge.

I have no basis for opinion on Elvis as a person.

paskatefan

I liked Elvis's skating in the early days. As others said, he brought something different, pushed the technical limits of the sport, and had thematic programs that told a story. His choreography emphasized his strengths and camouflaged his weaknesses. I grew tired of him because he was a one-trick pony in terms of programs, but so were many of his peers, e.g., Todd Eldredge.
Since when is Todd Eldredge A one trick pony? He has skated to many genres of music (soundtracks, Broadway musicals, some classical, some rock, country, etc.).
I respect Elvis & Todd as great competitors and awesome skaters! Always appreciated their rivalry and cheered for BOTH of them to be on the podiums!

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
Well I'm a bad person so I always cheered for Stojko not to be on the podium. And that was before I knew he was homophobic.

协PiKUilyam

Banned Member
Well I'm a bad person so I always cheered for Stojko not to be on the podium. And that was before I knew he was homophobic.
MeToo..... I didn't much like Eldredge's skating either, and I couldn't stand listening to yet another bombastic movie soundtrack from him. He might have branched out as a pro, but as an amateur his programs were basic and boring to me (usually because he'd unfailingly pop the second 3axel and start stalking for a third attempt, for which he ended up on his derriere most of the time.) I was so glad Kulik and Yagudin came along. Elvis and Todd might have been stars to their NoAm fans, but I wasn't one of them.

Japanfan

MeToo..... I didn't much like Eldredge's skating either, and I couldn't stand listening to yet another bombastic movie soundtrack from him. He might have branched out as a pro, but as an amateur his programs were basic and boring to me (usually because he'd unfailingly pop the second 3axel and start stalking for a third attempt, for which he ended up on his derriere most of the time.) I was so glad Kulik and Yagudin came along. Elvis and Todd might have been stars to their NoAm fans, but I wasn't one of them.
I enjoyed Yagudin (though rooted for Plush when they competed against each other), Kulik, not so much. Liked both Elvis and Todd.

Preferred all four to Chen, who actually bores me a little TBH.

And back in the day, I sure did love me some Takeshi Honda (his 2002 Don Quixote SP is one of favourites of all time).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information