Our Russian FSU posters here

Twilight1

My thoughts are with my Russian friends.

My anger is solely placed on one person and his close puppets.

I worry for people in Russia.

Xoxo to Russia.
Xoxo to Ukraine
Xoxo to the world that we all get through this and rejoin together in one piece.

masik

Don’t know where to post.. Russian forum: no more Russia-Ukraine discussions allowed due to changes in Russian law.
В связи с принятием новых поправок в законодательство РФ, администрация форума приняла решение закрыть тему "Происшествия", а также учитывать вышеуказанные поправки при модерировании форума. Спасибо за понимание! Выражаем слова поддержки всем пострадавшим!

Asli

Don’t know where to post.. Russian forum: no more Russia-Ukraine discussions allowed due to changes in Russian law.
В связи с принятием новых поправок в законодательство РФ, администрация форума приняла решение закрыть тему "Происшествия", а также учитывать вышеуказанные поправки при модерировании форума. Спасибо за понимание! Выражаем слова поддержки всем пострадавшим!
Which Russian forum?

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard
Why shouldn’t fsu be like Isu and ban Russians
Because in the Olympics and similar events, such competitors represent their native countries. If a skater wishes to denounce the government of his/her native country, I imagine there are repercussions from the respective skating federation. But who said that poster X represents his/her native government? That would be contested by most American FSUers during the Trump administration (and a few during Biden), as well as this Bacon-consuming Maple-Leaf Tea drinking Canuck telling Trudeau to 'Take Off, Eh!' Also, as Miezekatze pointed out, we are glad to hear from posters inside Russia who are able to evade Big Brother Moscow and let their views be known.

Karen-W

Neither sexy nor sultry, but loving life!
Saw this on BBC's website and thought I'd pass it along to our Russian FSUers -

How to get around the BBC block in Russia​

The Russian authorities have restricted access to BBC websites in Russian and English, as well as other international and independent media, accusing them of circulating "false information" about what is happening in Ukraine.
In response, the BBC said "access to accurate, independent information is a fundamental human right which should not be denied to the people of Russia, millions of whom rely on BBC News every week".
Record numbers of people have read the BBC's Russian language news website since the invasion.
To get around the BBC ban in Russia:
  • Download the Psiphon app from the AppStore or Google Play Store
  • Look for the dedicated BBC site on the Tor Browser which can be found using this URL. Note that this URL only works using the Tor Browser or the Onion Browser (on iPhones)
  • If access to the apps is restricted then send a blank email to [email protected] or [email protected]. An email will be sent in response with a direct and safe download link
The BBC has also launched two new shortwave frequencies broadcasting World Service English news for four hours a day to Ukraine and parts of Russia:
  • 15735 kHz from 14:00 GMT to 16:00 GMT
  • 5875 kHz from 20:00 GMT to 22:00 GMT

Hindernisse

Suspension of Visa and Mastercard is, with all due respect, a very stupid and useless thing to do, because the cards will still function within Russia. This ban essentially targets the forward thinking 20% of the Russian population who now won’t be able to even pay for the VPN subscription to access outside information or won’t have any access to their money if they decided to flee Russia. Transfers on accounts abroad have been severely restricted by Russia since last week. The pro-Putin population however won’t feel this.

As I suspected, a law criminalising sharing of “fake” info about the Russian army or discrediting this ‘military operation’ was passed last week, so those of you who follow me on social media, please don’t be surprised that you won’t see much from me there. I need to be able to go back to Russia to see my family, although I don’t know when this will happen.

So many forward thinking Russians are leaving the country. It won’t be the same country any more.

Another thing I want to share. And I apologise to my fellow Russian posters here for bringing this up, but while I seem to have everyone’s attention, I need to get this out. It is so great to see this Western unity in solidarity with Ukraine right now. Really great. But as an Armenian (born and raised in Russia and identifying oneself both as Russian and Armenian), I feel bitter that 18 months ago we were left alone in the face of two dictators Aliyev and Erdogan who bombed Armenians in Artsakh for 44 days. No one was outraged by their war crimes, treatment of POWs, there was no sanctions, and Aliyev is still a partner of Europe. The regime where hate towards Armenians has been part of the state doctrine for decades now, the regime that claims lands of sovereign Armenia as their own. Does it remind you of something? But apparently there are lesser dictators and lesser people.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Suspension of Visa and Mastercard is, with all due respect, a very stupid and useless thing to do, because the cards will still function within Russia. This ban essentially targets the forward thinking 20% of the Russian population who now won’t be able to even pay for the VPN subscription to access outside information or won’t have any access to their money if they decided to flee Russia. Transfers on accounts abroad have been severely restricted by Russia since last week. The pro-Putin population however won’t feel this.

As I suspected, a law criminalising sharing of “fake” info about the Russian army or discrediting this ‘military operation’ was passed last week, so those of you who follow me on social media, please don’t be surprised that you won’t see much from me there. I need to be able to go back to Russia to see my family, although I don’t know when this will happen.

So many forward thinking Russians are leaving the country. It won’t be the same country any more.

Another thing I want to share. And I apologise to my fellow Russian posters here for bringing this up, but while I seem to have everyone’s attention, I need to get this out. It is so great to see this Western unity in solidarity with Ukraine right now. Really great. But as an Armenian (born and raised in Russia and identifying oneself both as Russian and Armenian), I feel bitter that 18 months ago we were left alone in the face of two dictators Aliyev and Erdogan who bombed Armenians in Artsakh for 44 days. No one was outraged by their war crimes, treatment of POWs, there was no sanctions, and Aliyev is still a partner of Europe. The regime where hate towards Armenians has been part of the state doctrine for decades now, the regime that claims lands of sovereign Armenia as their own. Does it remind you of something? But apparently there are lesser dictators and lesser people.
Thank you for talking about this and your perspective. I think we all need to be more aware in future of when these things happen.

PRlady

You have a good point. And most of us had NO knowledge of it....

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Suspension of Visa and Mastercard is, with all due respect, a very stupid and useless thing to do, because the cards will still function within Russia. This ban essentially targets the forward thinking 20% of the Russian population who now won’t be able to even pay for the VPN subscription to access outside information or won’t have any access to their money if they decided to flee Russia. Transfers on accounts abroad have been severely restricted by Russia since last week. The pro-Putin population Thowever won’t feel this.

I think there is no question about selective concern from the West and you have a right to feel bitter.

Ka3sha

Most of the western sanctions are completely useless and stupid. Especially considering that they still get gas and oil from Russia.
Indeed, only the most forward thinking part of Russian society will see the difference, and this part has already been protesting and trying to show their voices.
Same goes with banning Russia from all sports and cultural events (even if I agree with it on personal level). In the future, it will only make general and neutral people feel for Putin & believe the propaganda that the evil West is against us.

I also can only agree with Hindernisse on what happened in Armenia and the selective judging and acting, even if I have no relative there or Armenian routes.

Speaking of protests, this is a great organization (also a “foreign agent”) that helps protesters in courts. They do an amazing job and really help thousands of arrested people through telegram bots, volunteers and free lawyers.

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
ITA @Ka3sha some of the sanctions are simply emotional and will have the reverse effect as intended. But, nobody in the West wants to stop Russian oil and gas except American oil and gas producers and their pet politicians clamoring for the US to up production now. Which will have no impact on the current price of gas that is making billions for the oil companies. The US only imports less than .05% of Russian oil, but Europe certainly does. And, if it is banned by Europe, there are plenty of countries who will buy it. Countries that have no love for the West any way.

Most of the other sanctions are just going to annoy people. I totally agree that Russia cannot take Ukraine, but the world wide outrage would be a lot less if the population was Black or Brown rather than White.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Staff member
I totally agree that Russia cannot take Ukraine, but the world wide outrage would be a lot less if the population was Black or Brown rather than White.
You are right. We should be outraged about war wherever it happens and who is perpetrated on.

That doesn’t mean it is wrong to be outraged at what is happening in Ukraine though. Being outraged about something like this is the correct response.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
You are right. We should be outraged about war wherever it happens and who is perpetrated on.

That doesn’t mean it is wrong to be outraged at what is happening in Ukraine though. Being outraged about something like this is the correct response.
The lesson I hope humanity learns going forward (but they probably won’t) is that how most of the world has reacted to this crisis is how we should react every time this happens to humans, no matter where they live or what their ethnicity is.

Ka3sha

Stay safe, @Hindernisse , @Ka3sha , and everyone else here logging in from Russia. I hope that you can read these messages and that you will post again as soon as you can. 🕊️
Thank you!
I haven't been posting much simply because of all the stress, panic and the whole situation. Thanks God, I still have time before my subscription comes to an end and that FSU isn't blocked in Russia yet (well, maybe two or three more threads about evil Eteri and it will be blocked, who knows )
:p

Of course, my own experience of coping with this situation is nothing compared to what the Ukrainians are going through. It’s truly impossible to compare. And every time I text my Ukrainian friends asking if they are alive, I have tears in my eyes.
Yet, yesterday I spent 1,5 hours writing a post in this thread discussing questions of emigration, moral questions, guilt, and etc. I ended up deleting everything I had typed, but just putting my thoughts into words helped a lot. And I needed that to simply get it out of my head at least for some time.

clairecloutier

Just want to say that I continue to think of all our Russian posters on FSU and hope that everyone stays safe and connected to FSU, if possible. You all contribute so much to this forum, not just in terms of skating, but by sharing your experience and perspective on so many aspects of life in Russia, Europe, and elsewhere. Your voices are important ... FSU would not be the same without you.

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
Just want to say that I continue to think of all our Russian posters on FSU and hope that everyone stays safe and connected to FSU, if possible. You all contribute so much to this forum, not just in terms of skating, but by sharing your experience and perspective on so many aspects of life in Russia, Europe, and elsewhere. Your voices are important ... FSU would not be the same without you.
I agree.

And I find it especially important seeing that so much is coming out about how many RUssians are supporting the war or are believing the narrative and are proud of their country right now. That makes it so easy to be angry at Russian citizens too and that is something I don't WANT because we will have to find a way out of this and enmity and hate or anger would not help there.

But then it is especially important for us to hear that yes, there are Russians who know what is going on and who are not okay with it and are maybe even forced to go to rallys.

We all have to be cautious not to fall into this trap because that would make it so much harder to start again. And that start is hopefully soon.... Please don't let it be several years before this is solved and the good wins....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information