Our Russian FSU posters here

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
There is a lot of posts against Putin here and absolute horror at the invasion of the Ukraine and what this will mean for the whole world.

I just want to start a thread to make sure that our Russian posters know that our horror and disgust is not aimed at the people in Russia and that we know that many of you are as horrified (or even more so) than we are.

Is there any way that we can help you? Have your back while you are protesting in Russia (via social media or on the streets)? Donate to organisations who help democracy or the protest within Russia?

What can we do from here, how can we pressure our governments to do the right thing - what do you think is the most effective way to solve this crisis and bring Putin and his henchmen to reason?

Please know that you are not alone and that if we are calling for sanctions we know that unfortunately also the general populace of Russia will be the target but that it is NOT our target at all. ❤️

alyona

Thank you Hedwig and all. It's definitely a relief to know that a skating community, first of all, supports Ukraine in this dreadful situation; but a support towards Russian members is also what makes me believe the Earth is still turning.

I have never been a fun of a current regime; but, even seeing its continuous deterioration, still couldn't believe my country can launch the war. I couldn't believe it had happened even when I woke up that terrible morning; I still can't. I can't even say "sorry" to the people of Ukraine: they must be mad about our condolences and regrets. It's an unbelievable shame on all of us.

I just wanted to share that I personally know NO ONE who supports the war; everyone are devastated and still in anger. Yes, of course, my circle in Russia is very specific: highly educated professionals, mostly working for international companies, sharing global values and caring about the future. Some of them are not of espcially liberal beliefs; some even supported the whole Crimean delusion. But all of us are united in our rejection of the war our country started.

Yes, it is very scary to protest now. You don't even feel safe to change your Facebook avatar to the black one or add a Ukrainian flag there. But, I'd say, almost all of my Russian FB friends did it. Almost everyone were very clear in sharing their protest against the war.

I know it is nothing for the nation which is under bombs now; whose entire existence is questioned by the country I live in (and still love). But it's important to say the above.

War memories are extremely special for Russian and Ukrainian people alike (as well as many other nations, of course). And most people in Russia hate the war.
We don't know what to do now; nothing can get back lives, hopes and respect.

But - thank you. Your sympathy helps living and gives some hope.
But I still hope I'm dreaming.

Cachoo

I was so angry when we went into Iraq. It is hard to watch a country you love go in the wrong direction. But I consider you and your compatriots much braver for daring to show any support for Ukraine or for any issue that goes against Putin’s wishes. Thank you for posting.

Karen-W

Neither sexy nor sultry, but loving life!
There was a meme that said something about more Russians standing up for Ukraine than republicans do. Putin doesn't care.
And that meme would be inaccurate, in my estimation. I think there was a WaPo poll published yesterday which showed support for Ukraine is very high across ALL sides of the political spectrum in the US - something like 70-75% amongst Republicans and independents and even higher with Democrats. Don't believe the leftist propaganda about the GOP support for Putin - it's a really small segment of the party and pundit/opinion class.

skatingguy

And that meme would be inaccurate, in my estimation. I think there was a WaPo poll published yesterday which showed support for Ukraine is very high across ALL sides of the political spectrum in the US - something like 70-75% amongst Republicans and independents and even higher with Democrats. Don't believe the leftist propaganda about the GOP support for Putin - it's a really small segment of the party and pundit/opinion class.
Leftist propaganda :lol:

It was written on t-shirts.

Dj2e0w9VAAAraKs.jpg

MsZem

Can we not make this thread about US politics?

It is heartening to see people on the Russian side of things speaking out against their government's actions. People on both sides of the border deserve better than this.

Judy

Thank you Hedwig and all. It's definitely a relief to know that a skating community, first of all, supports Ukraine in this dreadful situation; but a support towards Russian members is also what makes me believe the Earth is still turning.

I have never been a fun of a current regime; but, even seeing its continuous deterioration, still couldn't believe my country can launch the war. I couldn't believe it had happened even when I woke up that terrible morning; I still can't. I can't even say "sorry" to the people of Ukraine: they must be mad about our condolences and regrets. It's an unbelievable shame on all of us.

I just wanted to share that I personally know NO ONE who supports the war; everyone are devastated and still in anger. Yes, of course, my circle in Russia is very specific: highly educated professionals, mostly working for international companies, sharing global values and caring about the future. Some of them are not of espcially liberal beliefs; some even supported the whole Crimean delusion. But all of us are united in our rejection of the war our country started.

Yes, it is very scary to protest now. You don't even feel safe to change your Facebook avatar to the black one or add a Ukrainian flag there. But, I'd say, almost all of my Russian FB friends did it. Almost everyone were very clear in sharing their protest against the war.

I know it is nothing for the nation which is under bombs now; whose entire existence is questioned by the country I live in (and still love). But it's important to say the above.

War memories are extremely special for Russian and Ukrainian people alike (as well as many other nations, of course). And most people in Russia hate the war.

Please stay safe ❤️.

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic

thank you for your reply. I hope you and your friends stay safe.

is there any way we can support the people of Russia who are fighting against this?

Support Instagram profiles or FB posts with our likes or whatever? I feel so helpless and want to help however I can?

We don't leave you alone. Neither the Ukrainians nor the people in Russia who are oppossing this. You are not alone.

KCC

My cashier at the grocery store complimented me for bagging my stuff into reusable bags, and I responded with some generic comment about saving the earth one bag at a time. Then I muttered something under my mask that it may not matter, since we can be in WWIII in another week. The cashier heard me and got a really sad look with her eyes -- she told me she was from Russia and was appalled with the war/situation in Ukraine. She also told me that everyone she knows back home is very against it, and she hopes that people here don't hold her nationality against her. I assured her that I was really glad she was here, and I hope her network in Russia & beyond is safe, especially if they are protesting. I wonder if she's afraid that she will be sent back to Russia or something. Just wanted to hug her.

TOADS

Toad whisperer.....
My cashier at the grocery store complimented me for bagging my stuff into reusable bags, and I responded with some generic comment about saving the earth one bag at a time. Then I muttered something under my mask that it may not matter, since we can be in WWIII in another week. The cashier heard me and got a really sad look with her eyes -- she told me she was from Russia and was appalled with the war/situation in Ukraine. She also told me that everyone she knows back home is very against it, and she hopes that people here don't hold her nationality against her. I assured her that I was really glad she was here, and I hope her network in Russia & beyond is safe, especially if they are protesting. I wonder if she's afraid that she will be sent back to Russia or something. Just wanted to hug her.
This is a very good reminder that the asshole at the top and his equally disgusting cronies are not the Russian people.

A big and very significant point….

alyona

thank you for your reply. I hope you and your friends stay safe.

is there any way we can support the people of Russia who are fighting against this?

Support Instagram profiles or FB posts with our likes or whatever? I feel so helpless and want to help however I can?

We don't leave you alone. Neither the Ukrainians nor the people in Russia who are oppossing this. You are not alone.

Thank you dear Hedwig,
Thank you Finnice, Judy and everyone who is with us, 2 desperate countries.
Yes, we all are safe here; even those of my friends who attended anti-war manifestations escaped arrests. I'm too coward (yet), but going to put flowers today on the spot where opposition leader Boris Nemtsov wall killed 7 years ago (200 meters from the Kremlin wall; more or less the same spot where most postcard views of Red Square and St Basil Cathedral are taken).

Speaking about possible actions from abroad...

1) I guess any rallies in your cities, esp. big ones, are good. I know some FSU posters visited those yesterday; and although they may feel strange from inside, they are still huge, and they are widely cited by all media and thus help a lot. We had dozens of rally reports from all over the world yesterday: London, Munich, Barcelona, Tel Aviv, Haifa, Washington, Milan, Riga, many and many more. They are all around the media (I mean - non-government, but who cares about government ones), and they are really huge.
I'd even say that non-Russian-speaking visitors (+ their interviews, + reports, social media mentions) will make those meetings even more heard.
Not sure they can really help, but at least it's important for both countries and make Russian embassies feel uncomfortable.

2) Please sign a Change.org petition!
Exactly the below one: it is already close to 1 million now.

It's funny that Change.org petitions, although have no legal consequence, by some very strange reasons are heard by authorities: in many cases it stopped signing strange laws, etc. It won't stop the war, of course; but it'll create a disorientation in authorities. Create what we call "a split of elites".

3) You can also like anti-war posts from relatives of high-profile officials, like Navka's step-daughter Elizaveta Peskova (daughter of Putin's press secretary) and her mother. I mean - Elizaveta already removed the post, but it created a lot of noice :)
There will be more and more of such posts so once you see any mentions of such - like it :)

2 posts from State Duma members questioning the decision (they both voted for this shit, of course, and their posts are still from liars, etc,; but I guess it's better to support ANY signs of doubt from officials

4) I'd say that refusing from buying Russian goods (except for maybe gas) will only hurt normal Russian businesses, but won't have any impression to authorities. To the contrary: maybe you'd even go to Russian stores in your places, esp. given that many of them have a lot of Ukrainian and Baltic produce :)

Thank you once again! Your support helps a lot.
And no to the war.

Susan1

4) I'd say that refusing from buying Russian goods (except for maybe gas) will only hurt normal Russian businesses, but won't have any impression to authorities. To the contrary: maybe you'd even go to Russian stores in your places, esp. given that many of them have a lot of Ukrainian and Baltic produce :)

And no to the war.
Ohio Governor Dewine :rolleyes:

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
thank you, @alyona, I will distribute the change.org link everywhere.
Maybe you can post that one also in the other thread?
This is the direct link:

And it is good to know that the demonstrations are helping too. They felt very meaningless to me in my helpless state but now that people from Ukraine said that is bolsters them and you are saying that it is noticed within Russia, I am definitely participating in everything I can.

Take care.

Hindernisse

Thank you @Hedwig @Finnice and everyone else for your messages of support. It means a lot at these horrible times. Really.

I can echo most of what @alyona said. I never hid my opinion about the regime, but didn't necessary go public with this opinion a lot. Like many, never could I have imagined that it would spiral into a full-scale war. I am still in shock. My heart bleeds for Ukraine and its people, the thought of what they are going through sickens me. There are people I know who are in bomb shelters right now, a number of whom I met through our dear figure skating community, some of them with babies and children.

What adds to the horror is that four people from my university class find explanations for this in their social media posts. "Of course nobody wants war, but...". Those are people in mid-30ties who speak foreign languagues, who listened to the same history lectures that I did at the times when we were still lucky to be allowed to hear some variety of opinions. It shocks and apalls, but doesn't surpise me any more to be honest.

The Russian state now threathens Russian media outlets that dare to use the words war, agression, attack etc instead of whatever euphemism was chosen by that evil man. I am afraid it is a matter of time before they start to do the same with public figures who speak out against the war and then with ordinary people.

Oreo

Another suggestion to help is use Google maps to zero in on various Russian cities/towns, and find cafes, hotels, restaurants--whatever--that have websites and email them with the news of what's really going on in Ukraine. You can use Google translate to put it into Russian.

Ka3sha

Thank you Hedwig and other FSUers. It truly means a lot. I can only echo what alyona and Hindernisse said.
This situation is absolutely horrifying and devastating. And I have no words to describe the feelings I, as person and as Russian citizen, have right now: panic, fear for the future, shame, guilt, helplessness, and many many more.

If there’s one thing I am a bit relieved about - all of my friends/colleagues and family members share my attitude to what is happening in the Ukraine. I visited my grandparents during the weekend, and tried to calmed down my 90-y.o. grandmother, who survived through the WWII and Siege of Leningrad. She simply cried and couldn’t believe in the reality…

As for the help from international society, at first I couldn’t think of anything except what alyona mentioned, but then saw the announcements on some of the free press websites and news articles. The news agencies that were named “foreign agencies” by Russian government mostly exist on crowdfunding and donations.
For example:

If anyone would be interested, I can find more links to the free press news agencies later.

Last edited:

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
Than you Kas3sha, I donated to the newspaper. If you know anything else we can do for protest from within Russia, please let us know.

I think our best chance to stop World War 3 and the destruction of life as we know it, is for an uproar within Russia. But we can only help a little bit so far so anything else you know is appreciated

I cannot even imagine how you are feeling right now. Probably full of fear like we and additionally with a feeling a shame. I am so sorry about that. It is not your fault. 😘😘😘

Judy

Thank you dear Hedwig,
Thank you Finnice, Judy and everyone who is with us, 2 desperate countries.
Yes, we all are safe here; even those of my friends who attended anti-war manifestations escaped arrests. I'm too coward (yet), but going to put flowers today on the spot where opposition leader Boris Nemtsov wall killed 7 years ago (200 meters from the Kremlin wall; more or less the same spot where most postcard views of Red Square and St Basil Cathedral are taken).

Speaking about possible actions from abroad...

1) I guess any rallies in your cities, esp. big ones, are good. I know some FSU posters visited those yesterday; and although they may feel strange from inside, they are still huge, and they are widely cited by all media and thus help a lot. We had dozens of rally reports from all over the world yesterday: London, Munich, Barcelona, Tel Aviv, Haifa, Washington, Milan, Riga, many and many more. They are all around the media (I mean - non-government, but who cares about government ones), and they are really huge.
I'd even say that non-Russian-speaking visitors (+ their interviews, + reports, social media mentions) will make those meetings even more heard.
Not sure they can really help, but at least it's important for both countries and make Russian embassies feel uncomfortable.

2) Please sign a Change.org petition!
Exactly the below one: it is already close to 1 million now.

It's funny that Change.org petitions, although have no legal consequence, by some very strange reasons are heard by authorities: in many cases it stopped signing strange laws, etc. It won't stop the war, of course; but it'll create a disorientation in authorities. Create what we call "a split of elites".

3) You can also like anti-war posts from relatives of high-profile officials, like Navka's step-daughter Elizaveta Peskova (daughter of Putin's press secretary) and her mother. I mean - Elizaveta already removed the post, but it created a lot of noice :)
There will be more and more of such posts so once you see any mentions of such - like it :)

2 posts from State Duma members questioning the decision (they both voted for this shit, of course, and their posts are still from liars, etc,; but I guess it's better to support ANY signs of doubt from officials

And no to the war.
❤️❤️❤️ for you … and other innocent Russians.

barbarafan

thank you, @alyona, I will distribute the change.org link everywhere.
Maybe you can post that one also in the other thread?
This is the direct link:

And it is good to know that the demonstrations are helping too. They felt very meaningless to me in my helpless state but now that people from Ukraine said that is bolsters them and you are saying that it is noticed within Russia, I am definitely participating in everything I can.

Take care.
signed

CaliSteve

Thank you @alyona for this post. I believe the folks here on FSU believe its Putin and not the Russian people. I also believe the vast majority of people around the world feel the same way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information