Olympic Qualifications

skatingguy

Golden Team
Preliminary results from the Ladies Short Program:

3 Spots - Japan, Russia
2 Spots - United States*, Korea*
1 Spot - Canada* Belgium*, Austria, Azerbaijan, Finland, Sweden, Bulgaria, Georgia, Estonia, Germany, Czech Republic, China, Great Britain, Netherlands

* - may be able to earn an additional spot at Nebelhorn.

tony

https://www.isu.org/docman-document...tion-systems-3/22994-figure-skating-v1-0/file

For the initial 24 spots:
Next highest ranked athlete from the NOCs not qualified with three (3) and two (2) places, until the quotas of qualification through the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2021 are reached.

NOCs, who through their ISU Members Nation, have earned the necessary points according to Rule 378, paragraph 2b) and c) will have the right for two (2) or three (3) entries, only if, in addition, they had two (2) or respectively three (3) Skaters/Pairs/Couples qualified for the Free Skating/Free Dance in the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2021 (ISU Rule 400, paragraph 3).
For the remaining 6 spots:
The remaining quota places will be allocated to the NOCs at a Senior International Qualification Competition designated by the ISU (TBD* – Autumn 2021). Only one (1) quota place per discipline per NOC may be earned. Quota places will be allocated to NOCs based on their highest ranked athletes in the competition in the respective discipline. Only the following NOCs may be allocated a quota place: • NOCs which have not earned any quota places in the respective discipline in D.1; • NOCs which have earned the necessary points for two (2) or three (3) entries but did not have two (2) or respectively three (3) Skaters qualified for the Free Skating/Free Dance at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2021. This quota place will be in addition to the quota place(s) that the NOC had earned in D.1. These ISU members are entitled to enter one (1) Skater in the qualifying event who had not qualified for the Free Skating/Free Dance at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2021.

Open to interpretation, but pretty sure this is clearing up all skaters in the LP as getting their initial quota (up to 24 spots in singles) before any additional earned entries are counted- those countries who earn a second or third skater but didn't have that many skaters in the 24 at Worlds have to earn it at Nebelhorn as part of the 6 extra spots allotted.

skatingguy

Golden Team
Preliminary Team Event Qualification

RankCountryLadiesMenPairsIce DanceTotal
1Russia12001200
2Japan10801080
3United States875875
4Korea787787
5Canada517517
6Belgium465465
7Austria418418
8Azerbaijan339339
9Finland305305
10Sweden275275

skatingguy

Golden Team
It still s.. for instance. let's take KOR . If the SP placements stay they can get potentially 3 spots. Of course the 3rd one will have to be confirmed at Nebelhorn but it takes away the direct ticket from the skater placing 24th here.

The new rules only make Nebelhorn even more important cause there will be avialable the 6 usual spots + the additional from the big feds that are no longer free ticket for their lower skaters.
Not according to the ISU communication that @tony has referenced above - 24 singles skaters will qualify for at the World Championships, and the remaining 6 places will be earned at the qualifying event (presumably Nebelhorn). The 3rd entry for countries like the US & Korea is not held for them, but it gives them the entry in to the Nebelhorn event that they would not normally have.

tony

The pairs situation will not be the same as the ladies/men, as only 16 spots are claimed here and only 3 more at Nebelhorn. So not every team will make it from the LP cut of 20. I believe @Sylvia had heard that they might not use the same system regarding the pairs, though, but there's just such a limited field allowed at the Olympics now.

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
The pairs situation will not be the same as the ladies/men, as only 16 spots are claimed here and only 3 more at Nebelhorn. So not every team will make it from the LP cut of 20. I believe @Sylvia had heard that they might not use the same system regarding the pairs, though, but there's just such a limited field allowed at the Olympics now.
What do you and @Sylvia mean in terms of not using the same system? :confused:

tony

What do you and @Sylvia mean in terms of not using the same system? :confused:
She had mentioned in another thread that she heard unofficially that the same qualifying procedure would not be used, however, considering the idea of CHN and USA both increasing their entries (as CHN only has 2 pairs here) as well as JPN, AUT, or GER (among other teams) fighting for 10th and getting a second spot, that would max the teams out at 19 right there in any other system and there would be no need for Nebelhorn.

allezfred

Staff member
She had mentioned in another thread that she heard unofficially that the same qualifying procedure would not be used, however, considering the idea of CHN and USA both increasing their entries (as CHN only has 2 pairs here) as well as JPN, AUT, or GER (among other teams) fighting for 10th and getting a second spot, that would max the teams out at 19 right there in any other system and there would be no need for Nebelhorn.
But the Olympic qualification system is in the ISU special rules and regulations. It cannot be changed unless agreed at ISU Congress. :confused:

tony

But the Olympic qualification system is in the ISU special rules and regulations. It cannot be changed unless agreed at ISU Congress. :confused:
I agree, it wouldn't make any sense. But one difference in any event is that there will be 16 pairs spots determined here, and that will not guarantee all of the free skate qualifiers as it does in singles (unless the country is losing their 2nd or 3rd entry).

And I think the ISU is in a little bit of a situation with pairs anyways because if France finishes 12th and 18th, let's say, they have 28 points overall (12+16) and they've both made the free skate. Two spots, and it's not clarified in this situation if that leapfrogs the countries that only earn one spot starting at 13th place. Hope that makes sense, but it's definitely a possible scenario. I would guess they go one-by-one and fill up the 16, and if a team can't get both of their entries into that first 16, they would have to send their second team to Nebelhorn.

allezfred

Staff member
But one difference in any event is that there will be 16 pairs spots determined here, and that will not guarantee all of the free skate qualifiers as it does in singles (unless the country is losing their 2nd or 3rd entry).
I think the rule change was not necessarily to guarantee the skaters who qualified to the free, but to make it much more likely that they would. All in all I think it probably is a good and fair change.

tony

I think the rule change was not necessarily to guarantee the skaters who qualified to the free, but to make it much more likely that they would. All in all I think it probably is a good and fair change.
I agree, it gives more guaranteed opportunity to countries with one entry rather than multiples taking up all the spots- something that often happens within pairs as it is. And also gives importance to delivering in a big event rather than missing out by finishing 22nd or 23rd or whatever because of what other skaters did.

And with so few men competing, we may really see some surprise Olympic qualifiers tomorrow-- which I love.

Karen-W

It was an example, and can still happen with Italy ;) Don't fret.
With the way this pairs SP has gone so far, not likely... But, I'll be happy to have G/A prove me wrong when they skate in this next flight, lol.

Karen-W

Preliminary results from the Pairs Short Program:

3 Spots - Russia
2 Spots - China*, United States*, Canada, Italy
1 Spot - Japan* Austria*, Germany, Georgia, Czech Republic

* - may be able to earn an additional spot at Nebelhorn (only 3 spots available at Nebelhorn).

tony

3 Spots - Russia
2 Spots - China*, United States*, Canada, Italy
1 Spot - Japan* Austria*, Germany, Georgia, Czech Republic

* - may be able to earn an additional spot at Nebelhorn (only 3 spots available at Nebelhorn).
For pairs all of this depends on the LP. There are 20 teams there.

Karen-W

For pairs all of this depends on the LP. There are 20 teams there.
Well, that's just preliminary standings, just like the ladies, based on the current standings after the SP - but I'll edit my post to make that clear.

tony

Well, that's just preliminary standings, just like the ladies, based on the current standings after the SP - but I'll edit my post to make that clear.
Yes, but remember in ladies GBR definitely has one spot with 24th place. Those pairs teams in 13-16 especially have to fend off Krasnopolski getting back to another Olympics :lol:, and the Hungarians and French are within striking distance too.

Karen-W

Yes, but remember in ladies GBR definitely has one spot with 24th place. Those pairs teams in 13-16 especially have to fend off Krasnopolski getting back to another Olympics :lol:, and the Hungarians and French are within striking distance too.
True enough. Those last few spots are going to come down to who skates best of the teams currently 13th-19th. It's also possible that the Italians could lose their 2nd spot, as you noted upthread.

Karen-W

Adding in the preliminary pairs results...

1Russia120012002400
2Japan10805741654
3United States8757091584
4China13110801211
5Canada517465982
6Austria*418517935
7Korea**7870787
8Georgia*200305505
9Germany162339501
10Belgium***4650465
11Italy0418418
12Czech Republic146247393
13Azerbaijan**3390339
14Finland*3050305
15Sweden**2750275
* = has entries in 3 disciplines at 2021 Worlds (Georgia has a dance team that WD due to injury, Austria has a jr dance team that is pretty far off the TES mins but who knows what can happen in a season)
** = has entries in 2 disciplines at 2021 Worlds (Korea has a dance team that WD due to injury, Azerbaijan has a man who WD due to C19, Sweden has a pairs team that is trying to earn TES mins)
*** = has an entry in 1 discipline at 2021 Worlds

Last edited:

Karen-W

Preliminary results from the Mens Short Program - this is likely to change significantly on Friday based on the very messy SP results:

3 Spots - Japan
2 Spots - United States*, Russia, Italy, China
1 Spot - Canada*, Korea*, France*, Czech Republic, Latvia, Belarus, Switzerland, Israel, Sweden, Georgia, Ukraine, Mexico, Estonia

* - may be able to earn an additional spot at Nebelhorn (only 3 spots available at Nebelhorn)

This adds up to 22 spots - so, help me out here @tony - are all 24 potential slots filled here (congratulations Germany & Azerbaijan if that's the case) or are only 22 spots assigned because those countries didn't make the FS cut at Worlds?

ETA - @allezfred caught a couple of mistakes in the preliminary list! So, right now, we're sitting at 24 spots allocated based on the SP results. We'll see how it goes in the FS!

Last edited:

allezfred

Staff member
Preliminary results from the Mens Short Program - this is likely to change significantly on Friday based on the very messy SP results:

3 Spots - Japan
2 Spots - United States*, Russia, Italy
1 Spot - Canada*, Korea*, France*, China*, Czech Republic, Latvia, Belarus, Switzerland, Israel, Sweden, Georgia, Mexico, Estonia

* - may be able to earn an additional spot at Nebelhorn (only 3 spots available at Nebelhorn)

This adds up to 22 spots - so, help me out here @tony - are all 24 potential slots filled here (congratulations Germany & Azerbaijan if that's the case) or are only 22 spots assigned because those countries didn't make the FS cut at Worlds?
China has two spots right now (12+16) and Ukraine made the free too so it's 24.

tony

3 Spots - Japan
2 Spots - United States*, Russia, Italy
1 Spot - Canada*, Korea*, France*, China*, Czech Republic, Latvia, Belarus, Switzerland, Israel, Sweden, Georgia, Mexico, Estonia

Have to make the free skate if any of the countries lose an entry (ex. China, Italy). So if only 23 qualify because of that, then from what I understand, 7 spots will be up for grabs at Nebelhorn.

Karen-W

Adding in the preliminary mens results - and these are likely to change pretty significantly after Friday...

1Russia120087512003275
2Japan108012005742854
3United States8759727092556
4Canada5177874651769
5China13137710801588
6Korea**78757401361
7Austria*4180517935
8Italy0418418836
9Czech Republic146339247732
10France0517180697
11Georgia*200146305651
12Germany1620339501
13Belgium***46500465
14Sweden**2751620437
15Israel0200222422
* = has entries in 3 disciplines at 2021 Worlds (Georgia has a dance team that WD due to injury, Austria has a jr dance team that is pretty far off the TES mins but who knows what can happen in a season)
** = has entries in 2 disciplines at 2021 Worlds (Korea has a dance team that WD due to injury)
*** = has an entry in 1 discipline at 2021 Worlds

Note - Belarus, Azerbaijan, Finland, Netherlands, Great Britain, Bulgaria & Ukraine all have dance teams that could earn points and move them up the standings.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
BTW, Israel not qualifying to the team event might mean none of the athletes will be going - the NOC is much more strict that the ISU (Tamar Katz case...). If they have a team event it's a promised top 10 at the Olys and well, all go.

Can someone plz ELI5 me about the pairs? How is it decided how many pairs are going? There are what? 24 spots in pairs? or 30? And then hwo many are given here and how many go to Oberstdorf? And what are the sums for 3 pairs and 2 pairs? 10x!

tony

BTW, Israel not qualifying to the team event might mean none of the athletes will be going - the NOC is much more strict that the ISU (Tamar Katz case...). If they have a team event it's a promised top 10 at the Olys and well, all go.

Can someone plz ELI5 me about the pairs? How is it decided how many pairs are going? There are what? 24 spots in pairs? or 30? And then hwo many are given here and how many go to Oberstdorf? And what are the sums for 3 pairs and 2 pairs? 10x!

Pairs:
16 spots here
3 spots at Nebelhorn

Since the new system doesn't guarantee all pairs in the LP make it to Beijing (there are 20 pairs skating later on), I believe the system they will use is going straight down the standings to 16th place, giving those countries an Olympic spot. If the country had 2 entries but both entries don't finish in that top 16 yet still have 28 or lower total placements, I believe that's where the second team would have to qualify at Nebelhorn (Italy has a chance at this happening). If a country adds a second or third potential spot (definitely gets it for Worlds), they have to send a different team to Nebelhorn to confirm it. This could happen for the USA, Japan, and Austria.

In the event of China, they almost surely will retain 3 spots but since they only had two teams here, that third couple will ALSO have to go to Nebelhorn and be amongst the top 3 finishers there. Hope that all makes sense.

allezfred

Staff member

16 pairs spots available here at Worlds.
3 more at Nebelhorn.
It gets a little more complicated after that depending on which countries are in the free.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
@tony / @allezfred , so if the SP was the whole competition do I understand it right that:
rus 3 spots
chn - 3 spots
usa - 3 spots
jpn 2 spots
aut 2 spots
can 2 spots
ita 2 spots
ger 1 spot
geo 1 spot

but that already makes it more than 16. So which ones would go? Ger/Geo/Ita 1 spot?

tony

@tony , so if the LP was the whole competition do I understand it right that:
rus 3 spots
chn - 3 spots
usa - 3 spots
jpn 2 spots
aut 2 spots
can 2 spots
ita 2 spots
ger 1 spot
geo 1 spot

but that already makes it more than 16. So which ones would go? Ger/Geo/Ita 1 spot?
China will only get 2 spots via Worlds, only 2 pairs here. USA only gets 2 spots, Japan only 1 spot, Austria only 1 spot. Anyone potentially qualifying additional entries has to send other skaters to Nebelhorn to compete for those 3 spots. This is put in place, in part, to avoid situations of countries with one strong skater carrying another skater into the Olympics over others who are much stronger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information