Official FSU Prediction Contest: 2019 Skate America

peibeck

Simply looking
This is it, kids! The start of the Grand Prix season is upon us. Welcome to the Official FSU Prediction Contest for the 6 GP series events and the GP Final, starting this week with Skate America.

Please read before posting your predictions!

So since this is the first prediction contest of the GP season, I will post the detailed rules. If you've used the prediction contest in the last few years, nothing has changed. First of all, we will continue using the prediction contest website this year. If you are new to the prediction game, please register with your FSU user name. This makes it so everyone can tell which poster made which predictions when we post the standings. After you have registered, sign in and select "2019 Skate America" from the first drop down menu and click "add/change your predictions". Then scroll down and click the "make your predictions" button" under one of the disciplines. Scroll through the competitors in the left box, and select the one you think will finish first and press the Add button. Your predictions will be entered in exactly the order you see in the right box. You can use the up, down, and reverse buttons to change the order of your predictions.

Here are the rules:
For each discipline, you list the skaters you think will finish in the top 5 or 6. Only the podium finishers will be scored, but if anyone withdraws (which, as we know, happens a lot) we will move everyone up a spot in your prediction.

The scores are as follows:

Each predicted podium finisher picked to the corresponding place: 10 points
Each predicted podium finisher who finishes on the podium but not in the right place: 6 points
Each predicted podium finisher who finishes in the top 6: 3 points

And everything else gets zero.

So, here's an example. Say you predict for some random event:

1. Skater A
2. Skater B
3. Skater C

And the order of finish is:

1. Skater D
2. Skater B
3. Skater A
7. Skater C

For that discipline, you would get 16 points (skater B finishing in the right place being 10 points, A finishing on the podium in the wrong place 6 points, and C finishing out of the top 6 netting zero points).

Thus, per discipline you can get a max of 30 points. And for the whole event, the most you can get is 120 points.

If someone withdraws, everyone in your prediction will be moved up one. So we encourage you to predict the top 6 for each discipline in case someone withdraws mid-competition. This means that if you predicted:
1. Skater A
2. Skater B
3. Skater C
4. Skater D
and skater A withdraws, your new predictions will be

1. Skater B
2. Skater C
3. Skater D

The score of your lowest Grand Prix will be thrown out at the end.

You may enter predictions until the Pairs' SP starts Friday, October 18th, at 1 p.m. pm local time in Las Vegas, NV, (4:00 p.m. US EST, which is the server time for the website). If you are in the system entering predictions before that time and that time passes, you will not be able to enter your predictions. You can also change your predictions at any time before the deadline.

Predictions posted in this thread will not be scored unless the server for the prediction website goes down and you will not have time to make/change your predictions before the start of the competition. In that case, please note the situation in your post. We'd love for you to post your predictions in this thread after making them on the website for the purpose of discussion or to talk about predictions in this thread. But only predictions made on the website will be scored.

You can see the results at any time during the competition (they will be updated after the SPs even though only the final results will count) by choosing "2019 ISU Grand Prix" from the Standings drop down menu. We will also post the results in the thread so that everyone can discus and congratulate each other.

If you notice any errors in the contest, the best way to get things fixed is to PM me (@peibeck) or @Theatregirl1122 or @oleada with the issue, although we will also try to keep up with this thread to see if any issues are posted here. If you have any trouble with the prediction contest website, or if you lose your password, please PM @Choupette (the creator of the website) for help.

There will be results for each GP event and a cumulative result posted. Your lowest GP event score will be tossed, and you will notice this reflected in the overall scores after your first event.

Good luck everyone and have fun! :cheer: :cheer2: :cheer:

sk9tingfan

Beyond Nathan, the men's competition is going to be a "roll the dice" (Las Vegas appropriate) as is the ladies'. :confused:

mocha-ice

Any chance of making the site mobile friendly ☹ I know a few a years ago the answer was no, just wondering if anything had changed. Hardly ever use my laptop anymore so would love a way to do it on my phone or tablet!

peibeck

Simply looking
Any chance of making the site mobile friendly ☹ I know a few a years ago the answer was no, just wondering if anything had changed. Hardly ever use my laptop anymore so would love a way to do it on my phone or tablet!
The person we should check with is @Choupette .

@mocha-ice how old is your tablet? I just bought a new Amazon Fire and it works on there. You have to click on the little "v" symbol to bring up the list of competitors, but I believe it works. I've never tried to access it on my phone.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Three A's, T&M, P&C
The person we should check with is @Choupette .

@mocha-ice how old is your tablet? I just bought a new Amazon Fire and it works on there. You have to click on the little "v" symbol to bring up the list of competitors, but I believe it works. I've never tried to access it on my phone.
It does not work on my iPad which is two years old. I would love to be able to do it on the iPad instead if logging into the computer.

My iPad shows the lust of competitors on the top but not on the left, so I cannot pick specific skaters. I can do add all or remove all. That doesn’t help.

In any case, thanks for keeping the prediction contests going. I will just have to stop being lazy and climb the stairs to get to my computer.

Simone411

Do stand. Do stand six. Do stand six feet from me.
Just finished with predictions. I didn't use my Blind Six technique, and I only chose 5 in each discipline this time. If I decide to use it this season, I'll have to change it to Blind Five.

Good luck, everyone!! :cheer2::respec::summer:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Three A's, T&M, P&C
Just finished with predictions. I didn't use my Blind Six technique, and I only chose 5 in each discipline this time. If I decide to use it this season, I'll have to change it to Blind Five.

Good luck, everyone!! :cheer2::respec::summer:
Why only five? You can do a blind pick for number 6.

Simone411

Why only five? You can do a blind pick for number 6.
Well, I didn't feel like choosing six skaters this time around. It was a lot easier to only choose five. I guess I could choose 6 the next time if I decide to do so. lol!

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I have no trouble using the website from my phone. You just have to click on the box on the left to open the list of competitors.

mocha-ice

Thank... I just got a new phone this week and while it’s not the easiest thing to do it is possible to do it on my phone. 🙂

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Gets harder every year!!!

Winners seem somewhat obvious ( there, I've jinxed them all), but #2-6 in most disciplines seems totally up in the air.

npavel

wow, really? I got the gold after a lot of years for the second time. Thank you. And I almost missed my predictions, put them in one hour before the event started.
Yes, we can stop now skipaway, we are on the podium

peibeck

Simply looking
2019 Skate America - Overall RESULTS

GOLD
is awarded to @npavel :encore: 🥇
SILVER is presented to @skipaway :cheer: 🥈
BRONZE goes to @Messalina :cheer: 🥉

The contest for Skate Canada is now open!!! Thank you for participating!!!

1. (102) npavel
2. (99) skipaway
3. (98) Messalina
4. (95) sarah009
5. (92) SkateSand
6. (91) alj5
6. (91) danafan
6. (91) Habs
6. (91) ktskate
6. (91) love skating
6. (91) maximillian
12. (90) dedee
12. (90) drfj
12. (90) jeschke
15. (89) deryaaa
16. (88) Firedancer
16. (88) nlyoung
16. (88) sayana_mnk
16. (88) skateboy
20. (87) allegria
20. (87) Amy L
20. (87) ChelleC
20. (87) Impromptu
20. (87) kaheru66
20. (87) Lil Sarah
20. (87) melissahlz
20. (87) miffy
20. (87) Moka-Ananas
20. (87) oleada
20. (87) peibeck
20. (87) text_skate
20. (87) Tony Wheeler
33. (86) AliasJohnDoe
34. (85) daniskates93
34. (85) genevieve
34. (85) jamesy
37. (84) Gris
37. (84) haribobo
37. (84) JoannaLouise
37. (84) rosetintmyworld
37. (84) Rukia
37. (84) Sally1214
37. (84) Simone411
37. (84) skatak
37. (84) Wyliefan
46. (83) aerobicidal
46. (83) allezfred
46. (83) Citlali
46. (83) Doggygirl
46. (83) domshabfan
46. (83) Eotys
46. (83) floridaice
46. (83) levineismine
46. (83) modern_muslimah
46. (83) petro
46. (83) sk8tingfan
57. (82) mocha-ice
57. (82) nuge
57. (82) theoreticalgirl
60. (81) braulio
60. (81) DaveoftheNorth
60. (81) kylet3
60. (81) maatTheViking
60. (81) meggonzo
60. (81) netrina
60. (81) personwhoishere
60. (81) pvkirby
60. (81) waxel1
69. (80) Candbfan
69. (80) DaveRocks
69. (80) Jennifer N
69. (80) Sera
73. (79) GarrAarghHrumph
74. (78) RoyThree
74. (78) tlk
76. (77) casken
76. (77) JeffClair1979
76. (77) kirkbiggestfan
76. (77) linee
76. (77) Marge_Simpson
76. (77) toddlj
82. (76) AceOn6
82. (76) hoptoad
82. (76) jennysk8oboe
82. (76) mpal2
82. (76) rfisher
82. (76) Vash01
88. (75) alchemy void
89. (73) Lacey
89. (73) march_hare
89. (73) million$momma
89. (73) Quchuphi
89. (73) sarrie
89. (73) Theatregirl1122
95. (71) Debrah
95. (71) TygerLily
97. (70) brholly
97. (70) Jem X
97. (70) legjumper
97. (70) tamms
101. (69) Frau Muller
101. (69) Rubies
103. (68) gr8sk8101
104. (66) coco
104. (66) onepiece
106. (65) PrincessLeppard
107. (63) Bunny Hop
107. (63) luckiest1
109. (60) Lchan
110. (59) pp55
111. (0) dramagrrl

Messalina

I'm shocked. I don't think I've ever even been near the podium before. I'd like to thank my coach, my manager, my agent, my mom ...

I also put my picks in literally with 15 minutes to spare, and this year without doing any research at all, so maybe that's the ticket. ;)

Simone411

Congratulations, @Messalina! Quite impressive! Also, congrats to @npavel and @skipaway! @danafan, I'm proud for you, too!

Last year, I placed 1st for the first time with Skate Canada. So it can be done!

I placed 37th with 84 points along with these fine people:

37. (84) Gris
37. (84) haribobo
37. (84) JoannaLouise
37. (84) rosetintmyworld
37. (84) Rukia
37. (84) Sally1214
37. (84) Simone411
37. (84) skatak
37. (84) Wyliefan

I checked at the prediction site, and I scored 30 with Ice Dance. Giving myself a pat on the back for that! :lol:

Last edited:

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
I’d like to thank the under performers (you know who you are) and the surprise over achievers for helping me to my lowest SkAm score in years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information